advertisement

Asimov’s foundation.

Like EE 'Doc' Smith's Lensman series they are now old enough that their use of language and social interactions make them dated and a bit quaint

Just a bit.... the Lensman books have a strong whiff of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon about them. Gel-O monster aliens, women in skin tight space suits constantly having to be rescued by square-jawed Conway Costigan.... and a fair bit of Eugenics too.

Just a bit.... the Lensman books have a strong whiff of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon about them. Gel-O monster aliens, women in skin tight space suits constantly having to be rescued by square-jawed Conway Costigan.... and a fair bit of Eugenics too.
Actually..... When you put it like that..... Somethings never age..... Gray Lensman was my favourite.... Worth reading again.... If you've got enough jets for it.

I hear the next version of dune might be good?

Reviews I've seen so far have positively gushed. I've seen comments like "...the ideal combination of art house and Hollywood blockbuster..."

I remain skeptical, but we'll see.

Re Asimov, personally think his style very dry, doesn’t do emotional stuff too well but he was a ideas guy, at his best on short stories.

I'd agree largely with that. As the man himself would admit, he wrote a lot of books on the basis some at least would be good. I never clicked with the Foundation books, found them rather dull. The robot stuff was better and, as a standalone novel, The Gods Themselves stands above almost all his other fiction and well worth a read. Still stylistically dry though.

Speaking of Clarke, did anyone see the TV adaptation of "Childhood's End". It's rental on Amazon prime so not sure I want to pay for it!

I read the book when I was a teen,.found it quite interesting then. Not sure what I'd think now.

We may get lucky, Asimovs ideas plus a talented script writer and apples unlimited pockets.
Maybe someone will have a pop at Julian May or Steven Donaldson, loved white gold wielder series.
Recent years I’ve found South Korea and Japan make the most interesting s\f and horror, and at best manga is soooo cool, Akira is the citizen Kane of adult animation.

In my teenage years I read almost exclusively science fiction. Loved very much of Asimov's output but Foundation was literally unbelievable nonsense.
Likewise, but I thought the premise was OK, just the characters were cardboard cutouts. No depth to them, in that way similar to the Lensman series.
BTW, it's hard to type with a kitten on the keyboard. :)

I read the initial Foundation books c50 years ago. Enjoyed them at the time. But these days I'm more likely to re-read something like David Weber's 'Harrington' series. :-> I still do dig out old stuff, though. From the 'Sector General' series to stories by authors like Sheffield or Simak or Clement or Schmitz or... Lots of variety.

I think that’s a positive sign, impossible to do the book justice in say 2 hrs.

I first read Dune in ASF from when they were trying to be a glossy magazine. Enjoyed it, but later re-readings, and the sequels I've tended to find less enjoyable. Too overblown and expanded. The film was rubbish in my view.

advertisement

Back