advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

Needed to top the van up ready for work next week, all shut around here now. It has some in it so I'll just have to try and fill it on my travels tomorrow.

It’s happening up here too though on the island (Bute) yesterday there was only one other car on the forecourt so I’m guessing it’ll get easier for you out in the wilds?
There's a small petrol station just round the corner from us here on Islay. It's open, but there's no one queueing. Might fill up before heading off to Jura tomorrow, then orf to Campbeltown (SWMBO'S hometown) before popping over to Arran for a bit.

I filled up at the local garage Friday morning on my way to work. Just passed it on my way to town today and it’s out of petrol.

Again, National Grid says yes and anyone sensible charges an EV overnight when the demand and hence price (on an EV tariff) and also gas usage on average is a lot lower.
Why would anyone pay less to charge their car overnight and a premium for daytime electricity?

It's an odd mix around here. I went past three filling stations (on foot) this afternoon. Texaco 1: all pumps available, no queue. Texaco 2: all pumps occupied, but no queue. Asda: all pumps occupied, plus long queue. (It's possible Texaco 1 was out of fuel, plus unleaded was 5p a litre more than at the Asda).
Was it Michael O’Leary of Ryanair who said “the Brits would crawl on their bellies over broken glass to save a few quid”?

Why would anyone pay less to charge their car overnight and a premium for daytime electricity?
Assuming this is a genuine question, because 5p/kWh on Octopus Go for car charging input far outweighs any extra you pay for use of around 10kWh/ day home use. With solar (and, for us, battery storage) the equation gets even more in the favour of tariffs like that.

It's possible Texaco 1 was out of fuel

I popped into the garage up the road for a Snickers bar yesterday. Was surprised there was no queue until I saw all the pumps were off. No sign though so a constant stream of hopeful punters pulling in off the A2, looking a bit confused, then driving off again.

I guess it depends what you mean by ‘indigenous Brit’. How many previous generations being born here makes your generation indigenous?
I'm mostly Irish, with a good chunk of South Yorkshire/North Nottingham shire. I think that makes me indigenous to the British Isles.

Been chatting with a family member this afternoon who work in a filling station. We reckon for plan a) make all car/van transactions £30 with a cap on the fuel pumped. So if you fill up you are limited to £30 of fuel, if you are an arse topping their tank of with £3.28p of diesel, it still costs you £30 for the transaction. This would put a stop to all the must top my tank up just incase brigade. I asked jokingly who spends less than a fiver at the petrol station and apparently a lot of people do he reckoned maybe 10-15% of transactions have been under a tenner the last couple of days. And no jerry cans

Fair enough, but do you know what car she has. It was meant as a joke! lighten up
I caveated with 'most modern' and 'unlikely to achieve it'... Just wanted people not to make the mistake I once made when I tried to syphon fuel from one car to another many years ago. All I ended up with was a load of fuel vapour in my mouth and lungs and the fuel exactly where it started..! Not nice.

Our nearest filling station had no fuel yesterday, but has had a delivery, resulting in a long queue today, which is blocking the junction; fortunately there is another way round to get home!

Fair enough, but do you know what car she has. It was meant as a joke! lighten up
She has a 2008 Qashqai. I have not considered nicking her fuel (yet), still have 170 miles (3 trips to work & back), will try & fill up in the next couple of days. The next village from us has a petrol station, and there is hardly any through traffic, so hopefully if I can't get any on my usual travels, I may detour to there.

I caveated with 'most modern' and 'unlikely to achieve it'... Just wanted people not to make the mistake I once made when I tried to syphon fuel from one car to another many years ago. All I ended up with was a load of fuel vapour in my mouth and lungs and the fuel exactly where it started..! Not nice.
Is it a grill at the bottom of the filler pipe to stop a syphon getting far into the tank? Raises an interesting question about how repairers extract fuel from a misfueled car ( petrol instead of diesel etc)

advertisement

Back