advertisement

Interconnect cable

suzywong

Wot, no electrons?
Chaps,

I need to make up some interconnects from a Meridian 101B with the balanced output module and a brace of Meridian M20 with the balanced inputs. Currently they’re using some knackered DIN plugs and ancient UTP (complete with mid-cable chocolate blocks!), but these are for “millennial” daughter No.2’s new (first) house, so they need to look half decent :) :) :)

In essence, I need some STP. What’s the current flavour of the month? Mogami? Muscles from Brussels (aka Van Damme)?

Um, having no knowledge of Meridian-specific wiring ... what would you like to achieve, in plain terms..?

If all you need is, say, xlr splitter cables, I'd look at a online, industry supplier like https://www.canford.co.uk/ - they can supply almost anything you can think-of like that, off the shelf, and better/cheaper than DIY.

HTH!

Nothing complex, the interface is just a diff. pair, so straightforward STP cable will do. Just interested in the cable; connectors & construction I'm well capable of handling. In the olden days I'd pop down to Maplins.......

Don’t really have a favourite supplier, since the demise of Maplins. In Ye Olden Dayes there were three within striking distance. They were useful in that they sold cable by the metre.

Where can one buy cable by the metre nowadays?

Last edited:
Don’t really have a favourite supplier, since the demise of Maplins. In Ye Olden Dayes there were three within striking distance. They were useful in that they sold cable by the metre.

Where can one buy cable by the metre nowadays?
Farnell and RS are my go-to places for all things electrical.

Cat5 stranded patch cable, Teflon insulation, high quality copper, cheap, what’s not to like.

Pete

Yeah, I’ve often considered recycling a load of old Cat5 5m patch cables :grin:

Though I’m not sure about the aesthetics of the bright yellow sleeving that all mine seem to be! :laughing:

Farnell and RS are my go-to places for all things electrical.

There used to be an RS near Sainsbury in Hedge End…..don’t know whether it’s still there…..I could do the weekly grocery shop at the same time. LOL

Yeah, I’ve often considered recycling a load of old Cat5 5m patch cables :grin:

Though I’m not sure about the aesthetics of the bright yellow sleeving that all mine seem to be! :laughing:

I have some in fetching shade of pink!

Pete

There used to be an RS near Sainsbury in Hedge End…..don’t know whether it’s still there…..I could do the weekly grocery shop at the same time. LOL
Seems like it's still there. Are you in the Southampton area too?

I use Van Damme single pair install cable, it's small overall diameter, but the inner cores are reasonably thick.
Some cables has huge chunky outer insulation which makes it hard to run the cable where you need it.
If you get stuck getting the length you need. I probably have enough spare in white, you can have it for what I paid per meter.
I buy whole reels!

advertisement

Back