advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

How did you have these setup? Been thinking of having them for a nearfield midfield setup for music and gaming.

They were about a foot away from the back wall and in about 2 foot from the side 3m apart and similar distance from the listening position I just roughly set them up for a listen.

I just splurged on what I hope will be the core to my endgame frontend - a Mola Mola Makua with DAC and Phono.

Currently only running the phono with a Rega P6 with Hana ML but it has improved the sound over the internal phono in my Luxman 590. A New turntable is in my future.

Also currently using the Luxman integrated as a power amp only. Sounds great but I am on the lookout for a second hand Luxman M900.

Oh, and the DAC is wonderful.

The whole lower end of both digital and analogue seems deeper and punchier but the room resonance I used to get is diminished - I guess this is the impact of the line stage?

After a hefty hiccup when the dealer sent a 7 year old badly-bodged example rather than the one advertised, this lovely thing arrived today - basically BNIB for ex-dem ££££

AudioValve Eclipse SE Reference - and it's spot-on in every way, most especially sonically: great match with the First Watt J2 power amp.

y4m2ALDHH7dPM4qaHnC4p0y-emRqyQFrVjU_OIrm0Pd4dmaV5zb0awzj6MAdjUS4LCQNJwsHV3xzTXcVPAvEpZ-YZqKoNUoTJa_7SLEMhNaf1VByTNBLc0VITMVEoqWiyIY4gFJHSeeLwSZuVMsCR7CYKhZ0XWfDuqa7LoFPBLrsc_NKy9HBYUI5CfUR5-437tb

Best-sounding pre-amp I've ever had - bar none, and that's before I've had a chance to roll the ECC82s...

Scored a rather nice A&R A60+ as a replacement for my mates A60 which I’ve had on loan for a couple of months in my vintage/classic system. Seems like £93 well spent really, even without considering any sort of service. Maybe I’ll have that done along with the re-cap kit recently purchased for the JR149s.

Anybody fairly local to Derby prepared to do the work, I’d be glad to hear from you, of course.

Waiting on a pair of Dynaudio LYD 48’s to arrive, hopefully should be here by the end of the month (been patiently twiddling my thumbs for the previous fortnight), looking forward to hearing them in my room that has the current KRK setup below in sig. Dunno if I’ll need to use a sub but I’ll compare/contrast them with my KRK sub and if I feel the LYD 48’s would benefit from a sub in my treated room then I’ll order the matching Dynaudio 18s subwoofer. (I’m just kidding myself ain’t I?, we all know I’m gonna end up ordering the sub just because…………………)

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dynaudio-lyd-48

A pair of gorgeous Quad 10L bookshelf speakers that I plan to use as part of a home office system. Had intended to buy a compact all-in-one cd receiver to use them with, but they sound stunning on the end of a Sugden A21a so I may have to find space on the shelf for that instead :)

Reactions: RoA
A pair of gorgeous Quad 10L bookshelf speakers that I plan to use as part of a home office system. Had intended to buy a compact all-in-one cd receiver to use them with, but they sound stunning on the end of a Sugden A21a so I may have to find space on the shelf for that instead :)

The only piece of Hifi that I kept during many changes ... Quad 11L Classics. Superb.

51519862669_43f27e16c9_b.jpg

A Pass Aleph 3 30 Watt class A amp. Theres a thread in the classic room detailing a recap (it is old and runs hot, so needed), my findings to date etc. Not a great match with the vintage Tannoys for my taste, but it sounds really good with the JR149s. It is an interesting amp for sure.

PS The passive pre may not be optimal (the Pass is very low sensitivity), but that can be contemplated in the future. As it stands it is sounding excellent and does go loud enough for my taste despite not having much further to go on the Pro Passion (12db attention with a typical CD gets around 75-80db out of the 149s at the listening seat).

PPS Yeah, dusty stands. Helps damp them, so sounds better, obvs.

30m cat6 ethernet cable, got so fed up with drop outs over wifi. Qobuz 24/192/96/44 now actually streams, cable sounds fantastic, £17 from amazon.;-)

advertisement

Back