advertisement

Which Classic Amplification?

Which Brand

• Total voters

ASenna04

pfm Member
I want explore classic amplifiers. I have been a HiFi enthusiast since early 1990s and have owns and enjoyed amplifies from Arcam and Naim. I am very found of the Naim sound but keen to hear the other brands as well.

Now I want to explore classic amplifiers from Linn, Meridian and Quad. Considering the classic Naim chrome and Olive range and Quad 34 and 306 or 405.

Any suggestions from other experienced enthusiasts what else I should consider.

Thanks,

The intention here is to build up a classic system starting from the amplifiers. The source will be digital initially and add an LP and later get classic speakers, for now use my old pair of B&W 600 series bookshelf’s.

Given the original poll as a guide, I’d start with a 72/140, or 72/Hicap/250; a Kairn/Klout and a Meridian 502/557. All great and classic designs. I’d be happy with any of them. They’re all very old now though so if it’s a cheap example, allow for needing to fix things and anything of this age should be given a once over by a decent engineer regardless, in my view.

The intention here is to build up a classic system starting from the amplifiers. The source will be digital initially and add an LP and later get classic speakers, for now use my old pair of B&W 600 series bookshelf’s.

My first action would be replace those non-classic speakers, they might not justify amp changes at all..

A21a started production in 1989. A21 original in 1968. Definitely a classic in my book, one of the handful of integrated amps I could live with.

Yes, I think I heard the A21a around that time, late eighties early nineties, and I agree it sounded very good.

Bear in mind that;

1. Naim chrome bumper were voiced for a pre-Cirkus LP12 with Kan/Sara/Isobarik speakers
2. Olive shoebox pre-amps were voiced for pre-Cirkus LP12/Phonosophie P3 with Naim IBL/SBL speakers - after that, digital became the focus

Not saying you can't venture outside of those but this understanding can help you build a well balanced system (for its time).

An exception are the Nait / Nait 2 integrated amps which are still pretty neutral even by today's standard, but they are fussy about speakers.

Don't know what your budget is but some of the old flat earth kit is expensive now. NAP250s are about £1200, Klouts are about £1000, and CB Nait 2s are about £1000.

CB 62/140 is probably best value for money at the moment but olive 72/140 shouldn't be too much more. CB 42.5/110 is very nice but the 110s are hard to find now. All should be available for £1k, or less. Personally, I stick to Naim serviced or authorised Naim agents (e.g. Class A) but other folks seem happy using other companies.

Musical Fidelity should be in there too. Although a few stinkers dragged their rep. down, there are some damn fine designs in there which given a sympathetic soldering "wand", will give wonderful results.
Exposure x2

Arcam oft overlooked, castle and wharfdale , loved my sugdena21a one of the most musically coherent amps I’ve heard at any price.
Once heard a Armstrong valve amp and thought it gloriously romantic sounding, tuner was excellent, it was in a custom cabinet made to order via selfridges I think.
I’ve seriously considered a second bedroom system and would almost certainly go 33\303 as the design is so perfect and redolent of its era, and most quad kit still compares favourably to modern makes.

Arcam oft overlooked, castle and wharfdale , loved my sugdena21a one of the most musically coherent amps I’ve heard at any price.
Once heard a Armstrong valve amp and thought it gloriously romantic sounding, tuner was excellent, it was in a custom cabinet made to order via selfridges I think.
I’ve seriously considered a second bedroom system and would almost certainly go 33\303 as the design is so perfect and redolent of its era, and most quad kit still compares favourably to modern makes.

Well, I’ve got a lovely 33/303/FM3 set in the classifieds (and happy to just sell the 33/303 if required)!

I saw you ad, not quite there for funds but your kit looks lovely and if it’s still available when I’m flush I will be in touch, ps for me tuner is very retro cool.

advertisement

Back