advertisement

Ryder Cup 2021

Great TV, looks an uphill struggle for Europe after the morning of day one, suspect we need livelier weather for our game to shine?

I had a day at the ‘81 Walton Heath match. Nicklaus, Trevino, Irwin, Miller, Pate, Watson, Floyd, Kite, Crenshaw ++
I’d say that must have been the strongest team ever, certainly didn’t give us much of a chance that year!

I am from North Berwick so I know it is on Gullane No. 1. Don't know the course well enough to give you the hole number!

Hi,

You are correct, it is next to the 7th tee on Gullane No1 at the top of Gullane Hill, can get a bit windy up there!

Here are some pics of the golf courses, there are three at Gullane, named 1, 2 and 3 for those that did not know, four if you include Muirfield, however it is a bit difficult to get a game there, or even walk on the course, the panoramas I took are massive, Flickr only can give you an idea of what the courses look like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142416910@N08/albums/72157709445899841/with/51510644652/

Cheers

John

Hi,

You are correct, it is next to the 7th tee on Gullane No1 at the top of Gullane Hill, can get a bit windy up there!

Here are some pics of the golf courses, there are three at Gullane, named 1, 2 and 3 for those that did not know, four if you include Muirfield, however it is a bit difficult to get a game there, or even walk on the course, the panoramas I took are massive, Flickr only can give you an idea of what the courses look like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142416910@N08/albums/72157709445899841/with/51510644652/

Cheers

John
5 if you include Lufness.

Very true, 5 indeed, and maybe as Archerfield is actually inside the Gullane Direlton boundary then 8, well I think there are three there, Fidra, Direlton and the Renaissance Club, just they lost the marker wall when they built the courses, to say Archerfield is in North Berwick is stretching it a bit. ;)

I will make that 9 if you include the Childrens Course at Gullane. Don't you just love it on the link where it says adults must be accompanied by a child :D

https://www.gullanegolfclub.co.uk/childrens_course

This looks to be Europe’s worst team in a decade, the top players are off form & the rest seem rather old.

I think USA will thrash us this year.

Yes, does that make him a best pick for this year?

It makes him difficult to leave out when there is no pressing form from anyone else. I agree with you about Rose but the fewer captain's picks is a weakness for Europe. I would take Poulter ahead of Rory for matchplay.

I don’t get the Euro pairings at all and as for this mornings foursomes oh dear, he played Rory in the foursomes with Poulter, both off form, and then Rory back out in the fourball, why ? Casey back out again this morning, why ? Westwood is a crap putter ( final round 77 in the BMW 2 weeks ago ) and he was out in foursomes ? Rahm will be a spent force come Sunday, he’s already said he’s tired after yesterday. The Spanish pair are our only hope for points.

I predict 9-3 lead for USA after the morning session today. Possible 11-5 after four balls.

It’ll just about be over before the singles start.

I hope I’m wrong.

Agree @mikeyb (sadly).

at one point the commentary team made the comment that the players are all so good that four balls pretty much comes down to a putting competition. Based on yesterday, there is no doubt the USA team are leagues ahead on that front.

As always in these team events, the quality of golf played was amazing. Spieth from the almost vertical face was amazing, whether he planned it as it played out is another matter

advertisement

Back