advertisement

Sony WM DC6 repair

John Lamb

pfm Member
Hello guys, does anyone have an idea of where I could get my DC6 repaired.
I recieved this as a gift from a good friend however I haven't used it in sometime. When I went to play a cassette it will fast forward and rewind but won't actually play a cassette.

Any help would be appreciated thanks all

Take the thing apart and check the capstan isn’t seized and that the capstan motor turns.

If the capstan motor doesn’t turn it’s likely the motor control chip has failed. It’s a cheap part but a faff to resolder.

It’s worth mentioning where abouts you are just in case there’s a fish local to you.

Last edited:
The TapeHeads forum has lots of posts about these, including some from me before I came to the realisation that servicing it was beyond me.

I've had one serviced by a Leicestershire-based regular member there and have another with her at the moment (she had a four or five month backlog last I heard). I don't want to put her username up here but if you look in the Walkmans and boomboxes sub-forum you'll be sure to come across her as she responds on many of the threads requesting help.

I stuck a thread in the classic room (here) a while back when I serviced mine. There is a wealth of information over on TapeHeads if you search for it. Worth noting there are several different versions, mine is a later one with surface mount components which is the reason I’ve not recapped it yet. I’m not quite ready to tackle them yet, though I’ll get there eventually.

The issue with mine was rew/fwd didn’t work, and it turned out to be grease that had dried to an almost glue-like gunk. I replaced all the belts and idler tyres too.

Be very careful before even thinking of connecting it to an external PSU as it is the opposite polarity to most devices and getting that wrong fries the thing in a way that can’t be repaired on some versions. I just use mine on rechargeable batteries (Eneloop Pro) which work fine and shouldn’t leak.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back