advertisement

Small form desktop amp/dac

Neil P

pfm Member
Hey folks. I'm after a small amp/dac to go on my desk, to power some small speakers. I don't need inputs other than usb, and don't need headphone socket. Any suggestions? I have seen the PS Audio sprout, and the NAD D3020 which look good ... but I was hoping to spend about half that. Thanks!

(I do have a cambridge audio dac, but by the time I've bought an amp and interconnects etc the costs soon mount up, so I was hoping for an all in one)

At the quality end I'd go with Cyrus if you want a combined amp/DAC. New 8 series units are getting costly these days but used units are not too rare - look for a used 6-DAC or 8-DAC.

TEAC AI-301DA - very reasonable price/sound - I use one in my office system with Spendor A1s. Has Blutooth streaming - 2 line inputs/coax/optical and USB - remote (Plasticky) and DSD.

Bit left field but what about a Pi an amp/Dac hat. I did recently use a Pi with Justboom amp/Dac hat and it was brilliant. Powered some JPW speakers I’d pulled from CC at a blinding price. At the time I thought, why pay more than £60 or so. One of the most incredibly underrated sources for music. Be great as a small form unit for desktop duties. If you want it to look fancy, stick it in a fancy box for a few quid more.

Bit left field but what about a Pi an amp/Dac hat. I did recently use a Pi with Justboom amp/Dac hat and it was brilliant. Powered some JPW speakers I’d pulled from CC at a blinding price. At the time I thought, why pay more than £60 or so. One of the most incredibly underrated sources for music. Be great as a small form unit for desktop duties. If you want it to look fancy, stick it in a fancy box for a few quid more.

I may well go down that route at some point, but for now I'd really like a plug and play. I know a Pi is plug and play to some people ... but I think it would tip me edge ha ha

I may well go down that route at some point, but for now I'd really like a plug and play. I know a Pi is plug and play to some people ... but I think it would tip me edge ha ha
Not plug and play but there are simple scripts to follow everywhere. I am by no means a computing or coding pro. Very amateur but even I managed it. Many presume it complicated or nerdy but it’s simple really.

advertisement

Back