advertisement

HiFi in Winter

I wonder whether this is because hearing is a nocturnal sense in some way, or with less input from vision at night hearing is intensified.

I tend to cycle more in summer, usually 3 evenings a week & Saturday/Sunday; in the depths of winter I probably only do 3-4 rides p/W so just have more time for music.

It is a great comfort!

Much better in winter. My valve mono blocks get hot and are unbearable in the hot weather.
I've just bought a KJF audio stereo class D power amplifier for use in summer.

With darker evenings creeping in throughout September, I have been listening to music more after work and enjoying it more too. It just seems easier to get into the music with less light - is it just me or are others on here more inclined to long sessions in Winter?
This is one of my favorite time of the year to listen to music. No air conditioning, no heat, no dehumidifier running which raises the ambient noise level and dirties up the mains supply. Just before bedtime when the thermostat kicks down in the winter is another favorite time to bring down the lights and listen to a good album.

I wonder whether this is because hearing is a nocturnal sense in some way, or with less input from vision at night hearing is intensified.

Yes; that sort of competition between the senses is well-studied and exists (it's a sliding scale basically, from - 'most of us', up to 'synaesthesia')
Ever shut your eyes because /or/ while you are really enjoying a piece of music..? Me too; but sometimes that just doesn't work/isn't strong enough. For example -given a sunny day, sunlight streaming in from the south-facing windows into my living room (even despite the shutters and light fabric curtains - ) I'm going, no: feel driven, outside - not putting on another album, and don't want to listen to music indoors.

I absolutely cannot have music on/ in earshot when working, because - at however low-level, it might be - it totally-distracts me!

Several different sides (or - aspects) of the same coin.

Human cognition and our own biases between 'the senses' -part innate, part learned perhaps - is fascinating.

I sometimes wonder if this correlation between the weather and loving music is a significant reason why the UK, Japan and the Scandinavian countries are so prominent in the design/manufacture of Hi-Fi electronics and speakers.

Yes, I definitely spend more time indoors and listening to music as the evenings draw in and as the days get shorter, darker, wet and cold, although we're a while off that just yet, the weather is still dry, mild and a bit of a stretch in the evening.

Mid winter, cold, dark at 3pm, no gardening possible what else is there to do except light the log fire, crank up the stereo and relax for a couple of hours until dinner time....

I was just thinking how the seasons impact on my musical choice.From September to Christmas I naturally tend to dig out music that lingers at the darker end of the classical spectrum. Some Mahler, Schubert songs etc. Winter is a bleak time for me for a number of reasons and by the time I get to December, I’m desperate to get to Spring. It’s a season to negotiate quickly. The bright spot is Christmas when my Previn Nutcracker gets an airing!
First thing I put on this morning was Mahler.Funny,as natural to me as stews in winter.

advertisement

Back