advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I'm afraid that I don't understand your question. My post referred to the silly profit margins on list price retail sales.

If Rolex wanted to make silly profits, they’d charge £25-30k for the stainless Daytona, because the market can take it.

A good fake costs over £1k, but it’s not a Daytona. To be a 100% copy would cost?

Yes, shock horror, Rolex advertise and sponsor. How dare they!

It’s a luxury item and my £10 Casio keeps time better. But that’s hardly the point.

1b2d00dd82b036da2322c2a618193aa9c98b070e42be20024fccc355d2ccd1ba.jpg

I'm not a great Rolex fan, but I quite like some of their vintage stuff. I wouldn't mind a 1950s Oyster and they don't seem to go for silly money either.

It’s a luxury item and my £10 Casio keeps time better.
I knew there was a reason I bought a Casio rather than a Rolex! That was it! Mind you, my Casio is also a blingy thing, it was nearly £70.

Edit: another reason for buying a Casio was that they were out of stock of Rolexes in Elizabeth Duke at the time. I remember asking the assistant and he said they had sold the last one earlier that morning.

Last edited:
If Rolex wanted to make silly profits, they’d charge £25-30k for the stainless Daytona, because the market can take it.

A good fake costs over £1k, but it’s not a Daytona. To be a 100% copy would cost?

Yes, shock horror, Rolex advertise and sponsor. How dare they!

It’s a luxury item and my £10 Casio keeps time better. But that’s hardly the point.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion. I disagree with it. Sorry about that.

In what I quoted. (I feel as if I'm missing something in these exchanges. :confused:)
It’s just facts, I think. A new Daytona in stainless has a list price of just over £10k I think. Some argue that’s too much, but when a very good fake sets people back over £1,000, the Rolex price for a genuine item that often turns out to be an investment doesn’t look quite as expensive.
Then, if you’re lucky enough to be picking up a brand new Daytona today, with boxes, papers and stickers, someone will buy it off you right now for £28k ish. So it could be argued that Rolex are selling them £18k under what they’re ‘worth’.

Yes, it’s all crazy. And it’s on top of everything else we have to cope with at the moment.

The Rolex approved dealers are now getting stock of display only watches (no movement) so that potential customers at least have something to try on their wrists before joining the queue!

Now that's a real beauty, Bazza! The patina on the dial and hands and that faded bezel...

To be fair I got it about 7 years ago it had just been serviced plus came with the correct box and a 2nd bezel
And cost less than the price of a new non date Sub , now they are silly prices

To be fair I got it about 7 years ago it had just been serviced plus came with the correct box and a 2nd bezel
And cost less than the price of a new non date Sub , now they are silly prices

I think the only thing I don't like about the Red Sub is the top hat nature of the glass/perspex. I prefer the glass/perspex of the 5513. I bought my Red Sub eight years ago, and as it's 1972 vintage, it might be worth flogging next year. Someone's bound to have a 50th birthday.

I'm happy with my 1990s Rolex Air King 14000, but am tempted to trade it in and get a Fears Achival 1930.

I just popped into the Rolex shop in Glasgow there and the upshot is there's absolutely no chance of seeing never mind buying any of the usual suspects, including the new 36mm Explorer; hoping to check one out in the flesh was the reason for my visit but they didn't have any, not even an exhibition model. As noted already, there are only exhibition models in the window and ladies' watches. That's it. Lots of empty display cases. Well, I did see some small Date-Just watches but I reckon they were all smaller than 36mm so more for the ladies unless a 32 or 24mm watch suits.

I wasn't even invited to put my name on a waiting list for a new Explorer, although they are running an 'interested' list. I don't do waiting lists - buying lists, perhaps - so I'm defo not doing an 'interested' list!

I've been reading about Aquastar yacht timers and the Lemania 1345 movement. I've never set foot on a yacht but I want one!

http://www.regatta-yachttimers.com/brands/aquastar-1970s/
That's really nice and an unusual and distinctive choice. One thing I object to about the more obvious choices is the fact that every other Tom Dick and Harry with a credit card has one. My grail watch, which I own, is a Seiko Alpinist. I'm a climber and mountaineer, so it fits. I've never seen another in the wild. I

My everyday watch, most weeks, is a Seiko snk 805, bought 7 years ago or so for £40 and mercilessly beaten up since. My current boss had one back then, I remember remarking on it the first time we worked together. He now has some sort of smart watch, but tells me that he still has the Seiko in a drawer and wants to get it back in use. I'm surprised that you see very few of them around, they were dirt cheap, good looking, tough and reliable.

My everyday watch, a Lorus chrono (yeah, I know) has just suffered from a load of the minute markers coming unstuck and now flying about loose in the watch.

I need a new one, pref another chrono, no bigger that 40mm and <£100. Any ideas?

advertisement

Back