advertisement

Gypsy – early 70s psych(?) rock

kasperhauser

pfm Member
Just came across this band and listened to their first eponymous double album on youtube. This is the American crew; it seems there was a British band of the same name at around the same time.

Can't quite put my finger on why it appeals to me, but it does. The harmonies are part of it, and the guitar work is a big part as well. Reminds me of early Santana in places, without the focus on a guitar solo. Then I hear early Styx, Mountain, Grand Funk, even a bit of Badfinger.

Anyone else know their stuff? Looks like there are four albums. I'm debating getting the box set, but thought I'd see what others thought about their output first.

Didn't Ian Hunter sing in Mott The Hooples "One of the Boys" about "Borrowing Gypsy's Gibson Just to Show Them, and now I'm a rock n roll Star I Don't Wanna Know Them" an autobiographical song about his early auditions.

Obviously referring to the UK Gypsy in about '68 / '69 although the song did not see release until "All The Young Dudes" album.

Oh what trivia we all know but what did I do yesterday?

I quite like this. Yes, there are a lot of similarities with all manner of bands, the harmonies, the early Chicago, the early Santana, and so on.

Reading about them on All Music and Prog Archives seems to suggest this is their high watermark.

Based on what I’ve heard on the youtubes, I’d agree this album is the high point. Will probably look for that one and call it done. I also like the Mom’s Apple Pie Stuff. Will investigate further.

advertisement

Back