No wonder they’re so clumsy in the tighter bits

Comparing a 2008 and 2021 McLaren.

McLaren MP4-23 (2008)
4670 L × 1800 B × 950 H
Weight: 605kg

McLaren MCL35M (2021)
5700 L × 1950 B × 950 H
Weight: 752kg

Shocking isn't it. I posted a similar picture a while back of the size history over time. Amazing the sheer size of the modern cars.

o7s426f2yfm31.jpg

This is mostly because drivers are a lot taller than they were back in the day, so they need extra leg room.

Also a safety aspect. No way in hell could that 1986 car have any crash crumple protection, it’s just a death-trap. I do think there is room to tighten up though, I don’t see why the wheelbase needs to be any longer than 2013 or 2016. I’m sure they could still get the halo and a decent driver-protection structure into that.

Also a safety aspect. No way in hell could that 1986 car have any crash crumple protection, it’s just a death-trap. I do think there is room to tighten up though, I don’t see why the wheelbase needs to be any longer than 2013 or 2016. I’m sure they could still get the halo and a decent driver-protection structure into that.

Yes it was a 1988 safety reg change that made them put the feet behind the front wheels.

So Verstappen effectively gets away with just the 2 (penalty) point penalty for wiping out Hamilton! A canny move by Red Bull, but it hardly seems like justice. Maybe grid penalties should be deferred if you're already at the back? :)

Last edited:
So Verstappen effectively gets away with just the 2 point penalty for wiping out Hamilton! A canny move by Red Bull, but it hardly seems like justice. Maybe grid penalties should be deferred if you're already at the back? :)
Any penalty given out by the stewards has nothing to do with the race or the championship, it is purely based on the severity of what the driver(s) did in the accident.

This is what all the teams wanted as they did not want the FIA interfering (even more) in race results.

Any penalty given out by the stewards has nothing to do with the race or the championship, it is purely based on the severity of what the driver(s) did in the accident.

This is what all the teams wanted as they did not want the FIA interfering (even more) in race results.
If only the penalties were in any way consistent.

If only the penalties were in any way consistent.
They try…someone will always be unhappy. They can only look at fault not what might have been. The two recent crashes could have been fatal in years gone by even though the speeds were very different.

Sad to say it but I am beginning to think Lewis doesn’t deserve the championship this year, way too many mistakes. Great for Lando and George though. Pole and 3rd.. fantastic!

Well a cheer went up with NOR and RUS quali and a bit for SAI as well. A very popular top three here. HAM very contrite but even without his oopsy, he was unlikely to get the requisite second lap to get the slicks working. Good job his time on Inters was good enough to finish 4th but with a very fast trio of cars aheady, will be interesting to see what can be salvaged.

Sad to say it but I am beginning to think Lewis doesn’t deserve the championship this year, way too many mistakes. Great for Lando and George though. Pole and 3rd.. fantastic!
Every time he’s been handed a chance to take advantage, there’s been a mistake from Lewis or the team. I’m still backing Max for the title.

advertisement

Back