advertisement

Linn Ekstatik & new Radikal

The top end Stack Audio treatment is over £5k. Personally I really like the look of a wood plinth.

Not really convinced of the primacy of vinyl over other formats but will end up with Karousel & either kore or stack equivalent.

FFS. I’ve only just had Peter update me to the Karousel. A new motor will mean taking it all apart again. Can I be bothered? I hope someone reports back on here (can’t be arsed with Facebook or other forums)

The top end Stack Audio treatment is over £5k. Personally I really like the look of a wood plinth.

Not really convinced of the primacy of vinyl over other formats but will end up with Karousel & either kore or stack equivalent.

I also prefer the look of a nice wooden plinth too. I agree that the complete Stack Soprano set is over £5k so will only appeal to a few. I would love to hear one though. I currently have the Karousel fitted to the new Stack Alto sub-chassis & arm-board, very pleased with that combination myself.

I also prefer the look of a nice wooden plinth too. I agree that the complete Stack Soprano set is over £5k so will only appeal to a few. I would love to hear one though. I currently have the Karousel fitted to the new Stack Alto sub-chassis & arm-board, very pleased with that combination myself.
I think that’s what I will do, no problems with compatibility with Karousel?

To be honest I am really enjoying digital at the moment so only spin vinyl once a week or so. Quite like the Bandcamp set up where you can buy the vinyl & get an instant HQ download.

I’m afraid that the gulf in performance between digital and LP in my system is so marked that digital sounds broken.

hoping for another jump in performance with the new radikal.

Likewise. And it’s not like I haven’t invested in digital either. It irks me that whenever I want to use streaming, it doesn’t work for whatever reason (software update, powercut switched the server off, network out and just random no reason turn it off an on again shite) means I just spin a record again anyway. It has for better over the years but it’s still way too often it just fails to work for you. I just find digital so inconvenient :-D

I think that’s what I will do, no problems with compatibility with Karousel?

To be honest I am really enjoying digital at the moment so only spin vinyl once a week or so. Quite like the Bandcamp set up where you can buy the vinyl & get an instant HQ download.

No compatibility issues with the Karousel & Stack Alto sub-chassis whatsoever, it is compatible with all bearings. Pleased you are enjoying the digital downloads...

Oh the broken metaphor, is it the 80s? Utter nonsense, digital can & does sound incredible.

My digital front end cost far less than my vinyl. Then again, I don’t have a £20k TT.

You may achieve acceptable results in your system , for me, in mine, digital really struggles to convey timing in a convincing manner.

I may be spoiled by having a nice record player, or maybe my digital solution is behind the times.

I have used CD as a main source for many years & have just started with an Innuos Mini which I really like. Systems & taste vary but I've always felt that you need to spend quite a bit more on a TT to get a good outcome compared to digital.

It is really hard to separate the process of listening to music from the results, some just really like the ritual of vinyl whereas I just like to listen to music with the minimum of fuss. I think years of poor pressing quality has lessened my tolerance of vinyls foibles.

I find machining a chassis from solid to throw more than 90% of it away simply unforgivable in this day and age. I know it's recycled but it's still a massive waste of time and energy.

Huge amounts of waste from any form of wood component too - and it can't be recycled in to new product (but much of it will go into other product such as MDF etc). There's no perfect solution other than to stop buying stuff.

[edit]
...digital can & does sound incredible.

My digital front end cost far less than my vinyl. Then again, I don’t have a £20k TT.

Digital might sound impressive but it's not a natural sound imho. And one doesn't need to spend silly money on a turntable to show up it's limitations.

[edit]

Digital might sound impressive but it's not a natural sound imho. And one doesn't need to spend silly money on a turntable to show up it's limitations.
Recordings are not natural, I have a pretty decent spec LP12, it can sound ‘better’ but not as consistent. I used to much prefer vinyl whereas I don’t seem to have the same feelings today.

Not sure why.

advertisement

Back