advertisement

CO2 crisis.

I wonder how much the CO2 used in food and drink production contributes to the increase in atmospheric CO2 levels? Perhaps we should phase it out altogether: no more Champagne, no more beer, no more suffocated pigs. The list is endless.

Fair question Mike -but I suggest it's a non-starter in terms of global warming potential; C02 used in such processes,is derived for the job, almost entirely-from other extant processes- a productive use of byproduct, not a thing generated for purpose. C02 as a by product from ammonia (fertiliser and many other industrial uses) is an enormous slice of the domestic C02 supply/market; whereas -say -your example - C02 as a side-effect or waste from brewing -when you think about it, cannot be significantly-different from so much organic material left to rot instead ( -say - like natural woodland: there is carbohydrate, yeasts, time, organic rot(s)... it doesn't not all turn to coal given eons, by any means. Brewing less obvs might be better for our livers /health collectively... but it wasn't ever a prime source of C02 emissions.

But while C02 is a convenient measure, and especially so in relevance and catastrophic volume to huge industrial processes we ( as a species) must improve upon - it is far from the only elephant in the room.

The really insidious things are the gasses in widespread use with far greater GWP than C02, that take longer to break-down - if ever. Methane is a massive issue here -esp. leaks from gas wells, gas industry etc.

Industrial refrigerants, the working fluid in the heat pumps that currently appeal to save us - potentially even more so.

The road ahead also contains potholes^^^^ unappreciated / hidden buried mineshafts to trap the unwary.
It will actually take a new level of honesty & transparency between industries, people, and nations, to negotiate.
And that - imo- is that really hard bit - not the 'technology.'

The really insidious things are the gasses in widespread use with far greater GWP than C02, that take longer to break-down - if ever. Methane is a massive issue here -esp. leaks from gas wells, gas industry etc.

I know you put an "etc" in there but they're a less significant source than animal farming and ancient bogs emerging from melting permafrost.

There are a number of technical reasons why CO2 is used instead of nitrogen. Don't imagine that it was decided on a whim.

Tell me more about the technical reasons?? Nitrogen was used extensively in the food industry so why is CO2 preferred now. Similarly animals were stunned electrically in a humane way before bleeding (and still are) so why the panic about meat shortages. The equipment still exists.

FF

It’s nitrous oxide the country could use at the moment. Boris is fulfilling his promise and quite literally dismantling Britain. I think a Ted Heath-era winter of discontent is on the cards and Johnson won’t be able to lie his way out of this one.
Tl;dr I can’t see Johnson surviving this

Nitrous oxide - yes the good old anaesthetic produced by heating ammonium nitrate; but only if you are really brave!!!!! Remember Beirut??

FF

advertisement

Back