advertisement

Genesis

Games Without Frontiers and In The Air Tonight are the only 2 decent songs Genesis ever did. If they play those it's worth going maybe.

80/81: great years for Genesis.

Good to read the positive reviews although I'm not really surprised as I don't think they'd have gone ahead with it unless they were sure they could deliver.
As for the light show - they've always been well ahead of the competition.
Shame about some of the negativity and trolling on this thread - personally I'm struggling to think of another band that even comes close to the achievements of Messrs. Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett & Rutherford.
That's some struggle. The sheer number of great musical acts over the years, with both constantly good output and longevity, causes me to find your claim utterly baffling. I was only being facetious, because I actually like Genesis, even some of the long stuff, but I don't treat musical bands as a religion.

That's some struggle. The sheer number of great musical acts over the years, with both constantly good output and longevity, causes me to find your claim utterly baffling. I was only being facetious, because I actually like Genesis, even some of the long stuff, but I don't treat musical bands as a religion.
Yes I probably didn't word my post very well.
What I was trying to say was that for 4 out of 5 of the (shall we say) classic line-up to go on and have incredibly successful solo careers/side projects is to my knowledge unmatched although I do stand to be corrected.:)

Jesus is that the official promo video?

Nah, that’s like a Pebble Mill at One version. The real one, directed by Storm Thorgerson, has a dreamy interlude and snakes and that...

(Had heavy rotation on MTV, but it’s no Sussudio, is it?)

I went to Brum. I was in two minds whether to go or not, i saw them in78 at Knebworth which was and still is the best gig i have seen and 2007 at OT. The 2007 show was a pleasant surprise, better than i expected.
Last night was a very sad decline. Sorry but PC wouldn't have been out of place if they had pushed him on in a wheelchair. Visuals were seriously good but the setlist ???? Nothing from Trick of the Tail at all, snippets of older material but not full songs and the majority was their 80's output, which is not why i want to see and hear them. It was like a rerun of 2007 only weaker and without the older songs to make it worthwhile. I knew in my heart it might well be a mistake to go and i really wish i hadn't, not something i ever thought i would say about Genesis. They should have let sleeping dogs lie, smacks of one final go at cashing in. Live DVDs and box sets will no doubt follow.

Yes I probably didn't word my post very well.
What I was trying to say was that for 4 out of 5 of the (shall we say) classic line-up to go on and have incredibly successful solo careers/side projects is to my knowledge unmatched although I do stand to be corrected.:)

Lennon, McCartney, Starr, Harrison?
Garcia, Lesh, Weir, Hart? Even Kreutzmann is still playing though I don't think he ever wanted a solo career.

1970 -1973 were the special years IMO. Started to lose interest at the same time as Gabriel did (must have taken some courage to go solo but he certainly delivered. I would still today listen to anything Gabriel puts out). Some good rGenesis songs here and there after '74 but, for me, the magic was gone.
Maybe just right time, right age.
Saw Steve Hackett live 3/4 years ago and enjoyed hearing some of the old songs.

Last edited:
Depending on your age, you end up with a different era as your favourite. So me….Lamb, Trick,W & W are where it’s at, with me be able to buy the albums with student grant money. But with plenty of love for NC/ Foxtrot/Trespass/ SEBTP era too ( I was a school teenager then). The Duke/Abacab era is not baaaad, but I rarely play any of them. But there is stuff there that works in concert. After Duke I had drifted off…….

The only Genesis album I don't really have a lot of time for is "Calling All Stations", everything else has at least 2 or 3 good songs on them.

Off to see Hackett tomorrow evening at Mcr Apollo, I had tickets for Genesis but decided to sell them and stick with the shows I saw in early 80s.

Always found the situation with Hackett a little odd.
To my knowledge since leaving the band his only appearance was a token gesture (he came on stage for the encore) at the Milton Keynes Gabriel Womad bailout gig.
He allegedly left due to dissatisfaction with lack of writing input within the band yet now regularly tours playing old Genesis material some of which, I suspect, he had very little input into.
All that said I think his departure from the band had a more negative effect going forward than Gabriel's.

advertisement

Back