advertisement

Tidal: Am I out of touch?

I wouldn't pretend that vinyl is really cheaper than streaming (records have shot up in price), and streaming can be a good way to find new music. I suspect many use YouTube, and I've found the guy in the record shop to be a great source of recommendations. Hardly cheap as you end up spending more than intended. Is there a cheaper streaming service or is that the radio? I'm still on FM.
If the guy in your record shop said you could borrow as many albums as you wanted for as long as you want for 36p a day would you say yes or no?

Seconding the Radio Paradise recommendation. My new plan is RP to discover, free Spotify to explore the rest of the album, and purchase used or new if I like it. CD playback definitely having something of a renaissance chez JTC…

Streaming has saved me £100s, no longer buying physical media and finding out the only song I like is the one I heard originally. If I like something after checking it out on Spotify, I buy it on vinyl. Beginning to baulk at the cost of some vinyl though.

Cheers BB

My local record shop, well stall in Hereford's covered market, does exactly that. Spotify to do a listening with then if you like it the album is still sealed, but the cost is unsettling for some albums...

Since getting Tidal and a Node 2i to stream music about a year ago, I have not bought any new music on vinyl or CD. In any case, I have run out of room for physical media. I reckon I've saved myself a fair bit of change streaming vs buying CDs of all the albums I've enjoyed so far.

If the guy in your record shop said you could borrow as many albums as you wanted for as long as you want for 36p a day would you say yes or no?
I would say yes...I did say yes...and the quality of the playback just depends on the dac you use..I use my tablet via dac to hifi..

Seconding the Radio Paradise recommendation. My new plan is RP to discover, free Spotify to explore the rest of the album, and purchase used or new if I like it. CD playback definitely having something of a renaissance chez JTC…
Listening to radio paradise at the moment..very good..I like radio FIP too! However I paying £12.99 a month for qobuz! Which concentrates my thinking somewhat! Lol..back to qobuz now..the meter is ticking! Haha

Am I missing something with Radio Paradise? I've tried it a few times, there seems to be no new music on there whenever I listen.

Cheers BB

Depends what you classify as new music - new music to me is something I've never heard before.

I'm interested in new releases, I like to see bands in small venues before they become too big. 6 Music was good for this but I'm getting older and they seem to aiming at a younger demographic these days.

Cheers BB

My listening habits have also changed over the last few years. Thanks to streaming I'm discovering lots more new music, taking less risk when buying physical thanks to previewing them, and buying more music that I REALLY want on vinyl... although I'm trying to reign in my vinyl purchases.

Working from home over the last year and a half has allowed me lots more time to listen to music. I thought that spending more time at home I would listen to more vinyl, but the opposite is true. When working I found the constant interruption of getting up every 17 mins or so to flip sides to be too distracting, as well as having to think of what to put on next!

Initially I was using Spotify a lot, and I have to say that the algorithm was very good - lots of great suggestions based on my listening habits. I've recently switched over to Qobuz for the uptick in sound quality and the integration with Innuos Sense. It does sound better, but I have found there are quite a lot of artists/albums/songs missing from it. I still have my wife's Spotify account to use as well, so no great loss. She was happy to switch to Qobuz as well, but lots of music she likes was missing, so she rejected it!

Radio Paradise is fantastic too; sound quality is great and I've come across lots of great music on there too. Again, the Innuos integration is great too - hear something you like on RP, click on the magnifying glass, album comes up in Qobuz, add to your favourites. Beautiful!

I tend to listen to the main stream until something jars (usually something jazzy), then I flip over to the mellow or rock mix until something offends me on there. I tend to stay away from the eclectic mix... it's a little TOO eclectic for work-listening!

Hot tip for anyone making the jump from Spotify to Qobuz (or other platforms) - I used Soundiiz from my phone to transfer my playlists over and it was very straight-forward. It'll move them over in about 3-4 clicks, and will tell you if anything is unavailable. It will also use the HD tracks if available.

Is Amazon any good am sure I get a cheap add on as an existing prime member

On one amazon device (a Fire TV Stick) I pay £3.99. I find it useful for checking new releases out which have been reviewed or recommended elsewhere. As recounted above by others, it can save expensive mistakes but I don't use it for routine listening.

The stick is plugged into the back of an Oppo 105 for video streaming so music benefits from the Oppo's dac and navigation is a cinch on the tv screen.

Jim

I do however want a good deal. Tidal is pricey but the SQ is far better than Spotify.

I am waiting for Spotify to launch their hi Res version. I will likely go back. My 851N has Spotify connect and I prefer the user interface.
Once Spotify go hi-res it's pretty much game over for everyone else. Spotify's integrations and ubiquity make it a no-brainer once they sort the sound quality.

I've tried Tidal - it kept trying to recommend rap and hip-hop to me, their curation was shit (christ, even YouTube Music does better) and with all the MQA skullduggery it was an easy decision to ditch it. I then tried Qobuz and whilst their quality was great their app was crap (no dark mode?!) and their sorting left an enormous amount to be desired - I don't want albums, singles/EPs, live and compilation releases all smashed together for example. I ditched that too.

All the while I've had Spotify Premium alongside for the integration with Google Home and my car etc - the SQ is fine for those. But I'd never listen to Spotify as my main source for streaming on the hifi until they go lossless. Their desktop app's a little flaky though, it never seems to record things I've listened to, it's always empty.

I tend to listen to the main stream until something jars (usually something jazzy), then I flip over to the mellow or rock mix until something offends me on there

This made me laugh. When I first learned about it I'd have the mellow mix on and found a fair few new (to me, not new new) artists to listen to. But then after a week or two I'd be skipping to the next track more and more often. And with a sudden lunge accompanying much swearing when it inevitably came to Van Morrison, Neil Young, Tracy Chapman...

Once Spotify go hi-res it's pretty much game over for everyone else. Spotify's integrations and ubiquity make it a no-brainer once they sort the sound quality.

It was supposed to be happening this year, it all seems to have gone quiet!

Cheers BB

It was supposed to be happening this year, it all seems to have gone quiet!
Cheers BB
No idea what's taking them so long. They could go HR and tell me it's another tenner a month and I'd happily pay that. They would either acquire loads of Tidal/Qobuz defectors or uplift existing user spend for relatively little investment. No brainer for them really.

advertisement

Back