advertisement

Nigel Kennedy Pulls Out of Classic FM Concert

I bought Kennedy's version of Beethoven's Violin Concerto. Took it back and swopped it for another version by a more sane player. The excessive flourishes just ruined the piece.

The 'Boundaries' are written into the score. They are in black and white. Some 'artists" don't have what they need to connect the score to the listener and so re-write to make it their own. It's called, by them, pushing the boundaries. It is a cop-out. Worse than transposing a vocal piece to suit one's own narrow register. People like Milstein don't have to 'push the boundaries' because they can make something beautiful and meaningful with what's in the score. There are thousands of better violinists than Kennedy and so he has to differentiate himself.

The 'Boundaries' are written into the score. They are in black and white. Some 'artists" don't have what they need to connect the score to the listener and so re-write to make it their own. It's called, by them, pushing the boundaries. It is a cop-out. Worse than transposing a vocal piece to suit one's own narrow register. People like Milstein don't have to 'push the boundaries' because they can make something beautiful and meaningful with what's in the score. There are thousands of better violinists than Kennedy and so he has to differentiate himself.

I'm guessing you didn't read the news piece linked to.

Kennedy is a fine classical player.A lovely silvery tone to his playing. He has very fine Elgar.Unfortunately,there’s a lot of snobbery around classical music. Dismissing him is very common. It’s the same for those singers that move into crossover, like Pavarotti, Boccelli etc. They are essentially excellent soloists, just a different delivery. I have thought that Boccelli, away from the amplification etc, reminds me somewhat of Bjoerling. I think Alan Blyth also remarked on this. Sometimes you’ve got to see beyond the personality or more populist leanings.I remember watching a documentary about a group of godawful people who camped outside the Proms, establishing their pecking order and where they stood etc. This seemed to occupy them more than the performance or the music. I’m more bothered about these people than talented musicians who decide to take different, sometimes eccentric,paths.

Kennedy is a fine classical player.A lovely silvery tone to his playing. He has very fine Elgar.Unfortunately,there’s a lot of snobbery around classical music. Dismissing him is very common. It’s the same for those singers that move into crossover, like Pavarotti, Boccelli etc. They are essentially excellent soloists, just a different delivery. I have thought that Boccelli, away from the amplification etc, reminds me somewhat of Bjoerling. I think Alan Blyth also remarked on this. Sometimes you’ve got to see beyond the personality or more populist leanings.I remember watching a documentary about a group of godawful people who camped outside the Proms, establishing their pecking order and where they stood etc. This seemed to occupy them more than the performance or the music. I’m more bothered about these people than talented musicians who decide to take different, sometimes eccentric,paths.

I hear what you're saying, and there's a lot in there that I would agree with, particularly your comment about Bocelli.

However, it doesn't excuse Kennedy's twattish behaviour and the ridiculous false persona that he's adopted. I accept that others have a different viewpoint, but no matter how accomplished a musician he might be, I can't edit him out. I find it easier to ignore both him and his music.

I hear what you're saying, and there's a lot in there that I would agree with, particularly your comment about Bocelli.

However, it doesn't excuse Kennedy's twattish behaviour and the ridiculous false persona that he's adopted. I accept that others have a different viewpoint, but no matter how accomplished a musician he might be, I can't edit him out. I find it easier to ignore both him and his music.
His quirky behaviours are easy to ignore, unlike the unseemly behaviours of several more high profile classical artists recently.

Classic FM are entitled to exert some control over the programme for a concert they are sponsoring in order to best appeal to what they view as their target audience. A programme is usually agreed by mutual consent between the promoter and the artist(s).

Reading the piece referred to in post 1, it struck me that the proposed work was straight up the street of Scala Radio - a station tat puts out music that it mostly orchestral, without necessarily being classical.

advertisement

Back