advertisement

Tidal: Am I out of touch?

Weiss-Man

pfm Member
Having slummed it with Spotify for the last 3 months, I thought I would tonight renew my Tidal account, £25.99 per month!! Really. :mad:

Having slummed it with Spotify for the last 3 months, I thought I would tonight renew my Tidal account, £25.99 per month!! Really. :mad:
For what? Tidal hifi tier with masters? Mine is £19.99 pm. Is there something above mine, or have they hiked the fees.

I’m not sure if it’s the case here, but some streaming subscriptions are more expensive if you buy them through the app store than if you buy them via the company’s website. Worth a check.

regards

Kevin

Andy, thanks buddy, 1 month free trial under way. Is it just me but whenever I try to do something straight forward like sit and listen to music, there just seems to be issues. When I got in earlier I couldn’t get the Atom to connect to the network, now having downloaded Quobuz, the Naim app will now not control the volume. There are times when this simple hobby is more grief than it’s worth, if my motorbike was as much hassle just to have a simple ride, it would have been moved on a long time ago. And breathe…….

Thanks Kevin, I don’t get why that would be the case, surely not a fair and reasonable company to act in such a way?

It may be that Apple or Google are taking a cut when it’s via the app store. I think it was about £5 cheaper per month when I started a subscription a few years back.
You still download the app from the app store, but enter the login details which you get when you buy the subscription from the website. That’s how I did it myself.

regards

Kevin

It's a cracking business model, pay a monthly fee or you've no music. I'd like to say that's why I stayed with vinyl but I didn't foresee the ongoing costs of streaming or I could have been in there and made a fortune. I presume you can't download stuff you like while still a member (sorry I've never owned a streamer), perhaps this is the reason for the renewed interest in cassettes? Home taping is killing music (saw that on an album inner sleeve the other day), must have missed the one about file sharing denting profits. Am I the one that's out of touch?

I always turn monthly figures for everything into annual costs, it's usually enough to keep me from signing up.

Well when I used to buy cds way back in the day they were like 10-14 quid. And that was for one album.

Streaming services appear cracking value in order to find new music. Which is you are so inclined you could then purchase. But I bet most dont.

I wouldn't pretend that vinyl is really cheaper than streaming (records have shot up in price), and streaming can be a good way to find new music. I suspect many use YouTube, and I've found the guy in the record shop to be a great source of recommendations. Hardly cheap as you end up spending more than intended. Is there a cheaper streaming service or is that the radio? I'm still on FM.

Signed up for Qobuz on Monday, £19.99 for family membership, 6 family members and hi res.

Qobuz initial tests seem to be good, great customer service, Tidal you chat to a machine that seems unable to answer basic questions!

Tidal had issues last week, could have been something to do with being a BT customer, so decided for the money it was worth having a second streaming system.

It would be fair to say that streaming has completely changed my listening habits, both at home and when mobile/at work.

The amount of music I listen to is substantial and having the world's catalogue at my fingertips is amazing.

I only stream and have no physical media at present. It's also a great space saver.

It's probably the most enjoyable and easily justifiable expense I have outside essential costs. That and coffee :)

It would be fair to say that streaming has completely changed my listening habits, both at home and when mobile/at work.

The amount of music I listen to is substantial and having the world's catalogue at my fingertips is amazing.

I only stream and have no physical media at present. It's also a great space saver.

It's probably the most enjoyable and easily justifiable expense I have outside essential costs. That and coffee :)
Me too. I have a cd player but never really spin a disc. Streaming is easy, convenient and in excellent SQ. I do not view it as an expense, but more like paying my council tax, just something I have to do. I am as likely to cancel my streaming subscription as I am to cancel my council tax direct debit (i.e., never).

I do however want a good deal. Tidal is pricey but the SQ is far better than Spotify.

I am waiting for Spotify to launch their hi Res version. I will likely go back. My 851N has Spotify connect and I prefer the user interface.

I wouldn't pretend that vinyl is really cheaper than streaming (records have shot up in price), and streaming can be a good way to find new music. I suspect many use YouTube, and I've found the guy in the record shop to be a great source of recommendations. Hardly cheap as you end up spending more than intended. Is there a cheaper streaming service or is that the radio? I'm still on FM.
Radio Paradise is great. Incredible SQ & I have certainly found new music from listening.

advertisement

Back