advertisement

Connecting Rega ear to an Exposure 3010s2d

wezzywest

pfm Member
Hi, Couls anybody tell me how to connect my rega ear amp to an Exposure 3010s2d amp. I have tried every conceivable permutation, but cannot mute the main amp or control the volume on the Rega ear. I have used the ear amp previously with a Brio R.
Cheers.

Yes tried that now, it does work, but the volume nearly blows your head off on the lowest setting, and only goes louder.
Cheers.

Have a look in the manual, Rega describe four different methods for connecting Ear.

Reading between the lines, there is a fifth method involving use of tape out but omitting connecting 'Link' back to tape in (i.e. indirectly through a tape machine). Fine if you aren't using a tape recorder, and with loudspeaker volume being controlled by the Exposure (loudspeaker mute being Exposure volume fully down, which doesn't affect tape out).

Have a look in the manual, Rega describe four different methods for connecting Ear.

Reading between the lines, there is a fifth method involving use of tape out but omitting connecting 'Link' back to tape in (i.e. indirectly through a tape machine). Fine if you aren't using a tape recorder, and with loudspeaker volume being controlled by the Exposure (loudspeaker mute being Exposure volume fully down, which doesn't affect tape out).
Thanks for that, I will give it shot tomorrow. I have tried every possible combination, I think. Cheers.

Thanks for that, I will give it shot tomorrow. I have tried every possible combination, I think. Cheers.
It has to work, as 'TAPE-REC' will be at fixed line level regardless the source selected or volume setting on the Exposure. There is no need to send signal back to the Exposure via Ear 'LINK' to 'TAPE-PLAY'.

After further research, suggest you try connecting Exposure 'TAPE-REC' to Ear 'LINK', nothing connected to Ear 'INPUT'. Sounds bass ackwards, however, according to the manual, if not using Ear to complete a signal loop (such as in a tape loop with a tape recorder), or between a pre-amp and power-amp, using LINK as input allows the mute button to mute the headphones. Connected as such, simply select the source that you wish to listen to on the Exposure; Exposure Volume control will affect the loudspeakers only, with Ear volume controlling the headphones only, and 'Mute' muting the headphones only.

BTW, first generation Ear (with the lovely old clamshell volume knob on) had the front panel button labelled 'Link Mute'.

Screen-Shot-2021-09-22-at-8-05-24-PM.png

Last edited:
It has to work, as 'TAPE-OUT' is at fixed line level regardless the source selected or volume setting on the Exposure. There is no need to send signal back to the Exposure via Ear 'LINK' to 'TAPE-PLAY'.

After further research, suggest you try connecting Exposure 'TAPE-REC' to Ear 'LINK', nothing connected to Ear 'INPUT'. Sounds bass ackwards, however, according to the manual, if not using Ear to complete a signal loop (such as in a tape loop with a tape recorder), or between a pre-amp and power-amp, using LINK as input allows the mute button to mute the headphones. Connected as such, simply select the source that you wish to listen to on the Exposure; Exposure Volume control will affect the loudspeakers only, with Ear volume controlling the headphones only, and 'Mute' muting the headphones only.

BTW, first generation Ear (with the lovely old clamshell volume knob on) had the front panel button labelled 'Link Mute'.

Thank again for reply. I will try what you said this afternoon. No problem at all with my Rega Brio r, but this is baffling.
Thanks again.

You're welcome, @wezzywest.

Looking at the back side of 3020S2, there are two sets of 'PRE-OUT' connections beside 'TAPE-REC'. If you happen to be reaching around from the front you may be plugging into one of these, which would account for the extreme levels you were getting previously.

Exposure-3010-S2-D-Integrated-Back-Panel-2.jpg

Last edited:
You're welcome, @wezzywest.

Looking at the back side of 3020S2, there are two sets of PRE-OUT connections beside 'TAPE-REC'. If you happen to be reaching around from the front you may be plugging into one of these, which would account for the extreme levels you were getting previously.

Exposure-3010-S2-D-Integrated-Back-Panel-2.jpg
Thanks for the reply. I have now plugged into every connection on the back and nothing works! I have just tried what you have suggested and when i connect to the tape record, i get the extreme volume. Any other connection gives me nothing. Very strange.

It has to work, as 'TAPE-REC' will be at fixed line level regardless the source selected or volume setting on the Exposure. There is no need to send signal back to the Exposure via Ear 'LINK' to 'TAPE-PLAY'.

Thanks for reply, ont

Craig thank you for the further suggestion.
Cheers.
Was that the one I just deleted? Had a rethink, here...

Just to add, Exposure doesn't appear to have published record out electrical specifications, however, Rega did publish the following for Brio-R (the record output impedance appears to be their standard).

Brio-R
Record output level (with rated input levels) = 210mV.
Record output impedance = 470Ω
With Ear, input sensitivity is quoted with reference to output load impedance (i.e. headphones load)

Ear
Input sensitivity for maximum output into 32 ohm - 331 mV
Input sensitivity for maximum output into 600 ohm - 465mV

Regardless, as you report that Ear works fine with Brio-R, we can assume a record output level and/or record out impedance mismatch with the Exposure. As such, you could try inserting passive attenuators between Exposure 'TAPE-REC' and Ear 'LINK'; suggest 10dB for a start. These will drop the gain going into Ear such that you get much improved volume control response. Although not cheap (currently £49, were £39 for years), Rothwell do decent quality inline plug-in attenuators and are UK based (on-line shop and via numerous dealers). Barring buying new, someone on here may have a pair to loan for a trial and/or sell on used for less.

Last edited:
What headphones are you using?
The Ear is high gain so if using very sensitive headphones it will get very loud very quickly as you advance the volume control.

Seems best suited to high impedance headphones.

What headphones are you using?
The Ear is high gain so if using very sensitive headphones it will get very loud very quickly as you advance the volume control.

Seems best suited to high impedance headphones.
That crossed my mind too, Robert.

He did mention that all worked fine with his Brio-R/Ear/presumed to be same headphones, though.

Thanks once again for the replies and suggestions. The headphones i am using are Meze 99 Classics. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD598 which were the ones i used with the Brio r before i bought the Exposure amp. I am going to try the 598`s now.
Thanks to all again.

Not familiar with the MEZE model, however, HD598 is 50Ω with very high sensitivity (Google says 112 dB @1 kHz/1V rms).

EDIT: Looks like the modern 32Ω impedance compromise for the MEZE 99 Classics, combined with a high 103dB sensitivity.

Just tried the HD598`s and no change. Just not as high volume although as with the Meze, both amp and ear volume to zero, the music just blares out to loud to listen to and just gets louder with the volume turned up.

advertisement

Back