advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

For comparison, last month (after getting a reminder from Shell that my current plan ends this month) I selected their 24 month fixed plan at 4.795p gas, 20.631p elec standing charge 16.39/31.30p respectively.

And in the summer I bought 2 tonnes of anthracite pebbles and coke (at summer prices for £520) and a tonne of wood (£60) to see me through. Although, as I have just bought a new set of crampons that usually precedes a very mild winter.

Just got my credit balance back off Avro , it took over two months when they said it would be two weeks after my final bill.

What happens to customers with credit balances (likely at this time of year)? Do they go to the back of the queue? These companies have no assets to speak of.

Just got my credit balance back off Avro , it took over two months when they said it would be two weeks after my final bill.

What happens to customers with credit balances (likely at this time of year)? Do they go to the back of the queue? These companies have no assets to speak of.
When they go bust the customer account is transferred to another company with credits underwritten.
If credit is due, it will eventually be received as a refund.
Don’t hold your breath though I would think would be the advice!

And in the summer I bought 2 tonnes of anthracite pebbles and coke (at summer prices for £520) and a tonne of wood (£60) to see me through. Although, as I have just bought a new set of crampons that usually precedes a very mild winter.

We used to burn surplus wood in our living room fire but this hasn't been done for a decade as my wife thinks it a faff to clean out and probably unhealthy from a pollution p.o.v., though we always had the window open (necessary to assist draught anyway)

This winter would be ideal to reinstate an open fire as we still have plenty of wood, assuming a chimney sweep isn't needed. I there any real concern about the negative breathing effects I've read about over the years? Admittedly this mainly concerned wood-burning stoves if I remember.

Mine (Powershop) was bought by E-On earlier in the year which was a shame as they had great tariffs. However I glad for now I didn't move again as I suspect I would have gone to Peoples Energy who folded the other week. Do keep a close eye on your account though as E-On messed up by credit. I got credit, then it got cancelled for some reason so had a big bill that got paid by direct debit and then got the credit back again. I made a fuss but not 100% sure I would got sorted otherwise. If I hadn't have checked my statement I could have easily missed it.

Well I was with Tonic who went bust was transferred briefly to Scottish Power and left them immediately to go to Avro who are now bust as well. Looks like fixing on a cheap tariff isn’t worth the paper it’s written on if they go down the tubes!
So having been proactive in keeping my energy cost down I’ve now been dropped into a s..t storm of rising prices. F..kin happy days :mad::mad:

We used to burn surplus wood in our living room fire but this hasn't been done for a decade as my wife thinks it a faff to clean out and probably unhealthy from a pollution p.o.v., though we always had the window open (necessary to assist draught anyway)

This winter would be ideal to reinstate an open fire as we still have plenty of wood, assuming a chimney sweep isn't needed. I there any real concern about the negative breathing effects I've read about over the years? Admittedly this mainly concerned wood-burning stoves if I remember.

If you’ve not used it for a while, get it swept. There could be all sorts up there, birds nests etc, plus it will draw better. Last thing you want is a chimney fire. I get the feeling a lot more wood will be burnt this winter and the gas / electric turned down or off. I’ve just lit the small wood burner, starting to need a fire to take the edge off in the evenings. There is a great sense of inner peace looking at a big pile of logs, knowing that whatever happens, you can keep warm.

Get it swept.
It may be an annual requirement of your insurance company.

Who is that guy anyway? How does he earn money by (ostensibly) dishing out advice for saving money? Does he receive compensation for promoting specific brands?
Do a bit of basic research.
That post just makes you look a fool.

Do a bit of basic research.
That post just makes you look a fool.
I looked him up on Wikipedia. It says he's worth over £100 million, some of which he made by selling his website. Now I'm wondering why anyone would spend that kind of money on a website that supposedly makes people spend less money rather than more. If it's not clear how he earns his money, why should I trust his advice to be impartial? What's in it for him?

Could be wrong here, but I notice '12M' on your current deal, Funk. Your renewal for Dec. would normally start at the expiry on your current one, so I can't see why you've jumped already.

My 12M fixed with Octopus ends 2nd Oct., but the 24 M I secured 10 days ago has been acknowledged to start on the 3rd Oct. Bit baffling (to me).

The actual energy prices haven't gone up by an unexpected amount, but the standing charges have escalated. Why? St. charges are nothing to do with energy. I can guess that by hiking these instead of the real increase needed for energy, people will think they're cheaper. I know this is cynical, but it's the st. charges which have shot up for Octopus. Okay, maybe 5p extra a day but the principle and suspicion remain.
Per my post, I've elected to switch earlier than the original end date, mainly because I think prices will continue to rise at the moment and I'm hedging my bets. Staying on the old tariff would save me £75 between now and the end of the year but if the prices increase another £6/month on top of the £25 already then it would definitely cost me more in the long run.

On balance I think it's better to take the small hit and lock in early on a new tariff now than get to Dec and find that the prices have hiked even further basically...

On balance I think it's better to take the small hit and lock in early on a new tariff now than get to Dec and find that the prices have hiked even further basically...
I think you missed my point, Funk. I was given the 24 m fix, but it starts only when my current 12m fix ends. Surprised this option, which would be a win-win situation for you, wasn't either available or (as in my case) automatic.

Get it swept.
It may be an annual requirement of your insurance company.

I've never seen 'chimney' mentioned in any contents/buildings small print, Bob; possibly because they went out of fashion about 50 years ago in more modern (post war?) dwellings. However, although I have a mesh cowl on mine, it does make sense to get it done after, say 15 years, a couple of those with winter fires.

Last edited:
I think you missed my point, Funk. I was given the 24 m fix, but it starts only when my current 12m fix ends. Surprised this option, which would be a win-win situation for you, wasn't either available or (as in my case) automatic.

I've never seem 'chimney' mentioned in any contents/buildings small print, Bob; possibly because they went out of fashion about 50 years ago in more modern (post war?) dwellings. However, although I have a mesh cowl on mine, it does make sense to get it done after, say 15 years, a couple of those with winter fires.
I only mentioned it because it is a condition of my French gaffe insurance that I get the chimney swept each year for my wood burning stove.

For comparison, last month (after getting a reminder from Shell that my current plan ends this month) I selected their 24 month fixed plan at 4.795p gas, 20.631p elec standing charge 16.39/31.30p respectively.

frightening , only last year I was paying 18p standing charge for gas ..prices are certainly climbing

advertisement

Back