advertisement

10 Meter HDMI cables for bedroom

livingthedream

pfm Member
Hi

Just in the process of decorating the daughters bedroom, a simple paint jobs now gone to everythings got to be replaced

She’s got a 55 inch 4K UHD tv (nothing fancy £1000ish) which is now going on the wall and the hdmi cables are going up in the ceiling and down another wall, they’ll be three hdmi’s going in for sky, Xbox one and PS5.

A quick conversation with our local TV shop says that I need fibre optic cables which are £150 each which really shocked me. “How much!!!” I wouldn’t be as bothered if it was a £5000 tv in a lounge, but for a kids bedroom.

Has anyone else come across something similar?

I needed a 10m 4K hdmi for our second home. Yes, you do need an optical one for that length, but I bought one of THESE from the river. Works a treat. £54.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a 10 metre one here and it works fine its not optical. But it is a high quality sony one, it came out of one of their shops from their display units.

The basic problem with lengthy HDMI cables of the conventional form is that the electronic specs for HDMI cabling are sh1t. No real attempt to match, etc. Thus a matter of chance once you go beyond a modest length. The longer the cable, the more lucky you need to be. Hence the 'alternatives' when standard comms cables can run for vastly longer distances reliably.

Horse designed by a committee of numpties - > Dogs breakfast.

I used a 10m HDMI cable from an Oppo blu ray player to a projector with no problems, but only sending 1080P.

Forgot to mention, I tried three before I found one that transmitted 4K successfully, despite the claims.

I always assumed a "decent" grade HDMI was good for 10m, oh well something new learned.
I have a 10m HDMI carrying a very standard signal without problems but no high quality gear involved.

I thought we were told that bits were bits and therefore pretty cable agnostic.

Bits may be bits. But wet string vests make poor cables. That pretty much sums up the electronic specs for HDMI transfers using a cable as specified in the documentation.

If the people writing the specs in the first place had actually taken advice from a comms engineer it might be different. But as it stands the specs are shambolic. The method is neither in 'balanced' mode OR 'unbalanced' for a start! Problem is that you need to understand the electronic engineering involved to see why it's a crock.

Given a short enough cable it will still work (probably). But the longer the cable, the more it gets to be 'pot luck' depending on the choice of connected devices and cable.

Trust me when I tell you, transmitting 4K over HDMI cabling's not straightforward. As Jim's mentioned above, whether your cable works or not is a bit of a lottery. Standard 1080P is unlikely to work. The more modest 5m one I use here caused some difficulty getting one that'd work reliably. Even a little solid adaptor I had for use with an Amazon Firestick caused some elusive dropout problems; took me a while to realise what the culprit was.

I haven't tried the fibre optic ones shown above, but it took me 3 different HDMI 2.1 cables to find one that would work consistently with 4k HDR. The first one wouldn't do anything over 1080p, second one would sometimes do 4k but intermittently drop down to 1080p, and gave up all together if I tried to play HDR content. Third one finally worked consistently for me, but it's a really bulky inflexible over engineered cable. This is using a 5m length. Two or three meters seems to be about the limit of standard HDMI 2.0/2.1 cables for reliably doing 4k HDR.

I’ve ordered one of those Atzebe cables to see how it does and then I’ll get a couple more, is there a way to check that it’s providing 4K on the tv or is it just what it looks like?

Thanks

I had a look into HDMI when I noticed that a 0.75m cable (!) showed an odd effect when connecting one of my computers to a monitor they shared (via an HDMI switch). In some screen modes some black areas gave a red tinge. Cleaning contacts and removing the switch didn't fix it. Changing cable did. The screen modes were all low rate. So I looked at the official specs for HDMI cables and was astonished by what rubbish they were! Clearly written by suits, not engineers who had a clue about how cables carry signals. I suspect they were more worried about 'content protection' issues than cables per se.

Hence the lottery.

I've wondered if it might be useful/interesting if people set up a 'crap HDMI cable club'. Where people tried cheap ones and contributed one that didn't work for them in swop for another that was already dumped by someone else. This is because its also a lottery in terms of the inputs and outputs. So a cable that fails/misbehaves for one setup might work fine in a different setup - despite the cable length being the same.

If you are running HDMI 4K over 5 meters then you will need a balun link. And,, yeah, a 4k one will cost about £130 to £150.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back