advertisement

Genesis

I'm not sure why these threads always end up in a Gabriel or Collins debate.
Their musical style is totally different and I don't struggle to enjoy both.

It's tradition. :D Normally I am very quiet about artists or bands I don't like as I realise it's just a matter of taste and who am I to slag off someone else's pleasure, but Collins gets right up my nose. I think it's him as a person as much as his music, but I'm not fond of either. However, I should refrain from my opinions as my normal mantra on artists of any genre is if I have nothing nice to say about them say nothing.

I don't agree very often with @Arkless Electronics but unlike many, he isn't here for collecting likes. This deserves a like.

What I agree with, here, is that Phil Collins does have a knack for writing melodies, and he was better than Gabriel at that. I'd say that solo he was even better than with Genesis. Not many can write a song that favoured the conception of thousands of babies.

If social significance is a gauge I'll raise you with "Don't Give Up'.

Went to Brum last night. A good show, and as expected the lighting and screenshow was excellent. The venue suffered from one-note bass syndrome which was a bit tiresome - I would have thought they could have sorted that with a DSP in there somewhere. Collins is very frail but managed to sing for over two hours while sitting down - not easy for a younger person, let alone a 70-year old. The old sense of humour is still there too.
Collins Jr is a good drummer, but Chester Thompson would have been better. I would classify him under 'Rock', rather than 'Jazz Rock'.
It struck me during the concert that their later material is actually quite weak - it doesn't bear repeated listening, but there were snippets of Lamb, Wuthering and Selling England interspersed in an interesting way to keep old gits like me happy. During Domino, I couldn't help imagining a Spinal Tap Stonehenge being lowered from the flies!
It also served to illustrate how video technology has come along in the last few years - the mixing of live footage with CGI was remarkably good and clean.
A good night out, but I think they've had their day.

Me and a mate and our wives were there last night. Thoroughly enjoyed the show - 'ol Tony Banks must have spent some time knocking those tunes around - almost every 'song' was a fusion of bits formed into another - the wife was not an expert but realised that there were a lot of bits she did not know.

Phil seemed to get better and loosened up as the concert progressed. He had some help from the backing singers though!

Enjoyed the last song - such a different way to end a concert with a sing a long rather than a blaze of thumping energy. The hi-def screens and lights were really good - my wife was pleased about those as she had taken the 'wrong' glasses in, but was able to see everything.

Serving drinks in 2-pint glasses seems to be a thing now (at £11 a pop) - one chap near me must have got through 6 pints and a loo break during the concert! (I had a bottle of Fanta - driving you see)

The so-called Covid checks were a joke - you could have waved any old QR code at security as you were in the queue to get in.

I chose the wrong car park on the night----took 45 minutes to get from floor 6 to the exit - to find that one of the exit gates was faulty and a poor chap was there working it manually. Home quickly on empty roads for 12:30.

At least I can say that I have seen them live now. And I do not regret spending £120 on each ticket either!

Another good friend off to the show tonight - just been asking me about parking - its a lottery there! Brum is just a sea of roadworks (as ever it seems) which does not help planning. With more time I would have taken the train to Snow Hill and walked. A brisk walk back would have made the last train OK.

I think Phil's son Simon would have been a better “fit” for a Genesis gig, I always felt he played very much in his fathers style. I’m not knocking Nic though, there’s no doubt he’s a great drummer.

Time to paste this again:

It would be really interesting to get Nic and Simon Collins duetting on drums...

I saw them on the opening night (Monday) and loved it! I had some misgivings when I saw the short BBC interview last week, where Phil seemed to struggle to even speak; he sadly seems to be unwell, but there is no doubt he put absolutely everything into his singing and the end result was a great show. Mike and Tony were on their A-game, maybe not able to quite play the really quick riffs from their youth, but pretty much note perfect, Daryl was his usual excellent self and Nic Collins was a revelation- a chip off the old block. It goes without saying that the lights and screens were amazing- I guess they are about as good as anyone in this respect- certainly the screens meant that being right at the back was absolutely no problem at all. Phil's vocals were a bit off in the first song with words- Turn It On Again- but next up was Mama, which brooded with menace and I thought Phil was magnificent. At that point he settled down and it was terrific from then on. The set list was exactly as expected (if you want the prog stuff then go see Steve Hackett or a tribute band), although I thought they could have merged the final part of Musical Box with The Lamb Lies down as in the Seconds Out album, and I also think Abacab would have been nice, but I think it likely other lucky fans will see these as both were on their rehearsal list. I read an article that this tour was financed by Tony, Phil, Mike and the manager Tony Smith and clearly is extremely expensive (including a crazy number of support staff) so we bought some extra merchandise to help them out! I believe Tony has said that they felt they owed the UK public something as we had been underrepresented with gigs in the past and I think the commitment of Tony, Mike and Phil to each other saw the idea come to fruition. So in all, a great evening (see the Rolling Stone review online if you want more details) and one vastly better for Phil's presence; there are two backing vocalists who I'd imagine would take a more leading role if Phil struggles a bit, but I hope not: for 70 year old rockers, they are amazing and it's the three great men together that are the heart and soul of my favourite group!

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread about the first book of the Old Testament.

Yes. Until Genesis wisely purchased a synthesiser and reduced song times from 3 hours to 3 minutes, they were just a drain on valuable life. :p

Good to read the positive reviews although I'm not really surprised as I don't think they'd have gone ahead with it unless they were sure they could deliver.
As for the light show - they've always been well ahead of the competition.
Shame about some of the negativity and trolling on this thread - personally I'm struggling to think of another band that even comes close to the achievements of Messrs. Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett & Rutherford.

No ones trolling mate you have to accept not everyone is a carbon cut out of you. I cannot stand Genesis. and I like Yes!

Good reviews in the Guardian and the DT.

Good to read the positive reviews

“Mama - a song about that reliable hit-making topic, a teenager who develops an Oedipal fixation on a middle-aged sex worker – remains authentically creepy nearly 40 years on. Or perhaps even creepier: Collins performs the song’s middle section of growls and mocking laughs lit from beneath in red, a staging that deliberately turns his weathered face into a sight that could haunt you in the small hours.” (The Guardian)

As Peter Cook said to David Frost, the host of a forthcoming dinner held in honour of the lovely Prince Andrew and Fergie, after checking his diary...

“Oh dear. I find I’m watching television that night.”

advertisement

Back