advertisement

The unlikely star-candidate - Linn LK-100

Probably you already know some of this stuff. If not feel free to have a read:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/151392-best-electrolytic-capacitors.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/259375-panasonic-fc-vs-nichicon-gold-preamp-power-supply.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/171907-elna-silmic-ii-elna-cerafine.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/232600-audio-grade-capacitors.html

You'll easily find the datasheets to compare FC, FM and FR. The newer FR
have superior specs in some points regarding ESR, ripple current and lifespan.

I have Mundorf CAPS 2x 10.000UF , 100UF 63V Panasonic FC replaced. Some of smaller condensators are to be replaced with Panasonic FR.
i have also with better version of WIMA 470P the C201 , C301 ajusted.

Sounds a lot better , i let run in now.. and think.

Does anyone know where I can find the schedules for the Linn Majik-I (1997)?
I have inthere also the Mundorf M-Lytic Caps 2x 15.000uf and looking to replace all condensators two becouse it old amp and one of them is already leaking

Thanks!

will change to Mundofs i orderd today.

C206 + C306 comes same vaulue

C201 + 301 will change to 470P

(also in de Majik-I on c601 c701)

I'm enjoying this thread. Nice to see some discussion about modding Linn amps, makes a nice change from Naim.

Lars, I have the Majik-I schematic, send me a PM. Which Mudorf caps are you planning to use in place of the Wimas?

The Mundorf M-Lytic caps are superb, I used them in my Klout with excellent results!

I have a schematic!
Sorry for late reaction.

Mundorfs are only bigger values, but would be nice to gave somting better then wima's. I have already best series from the wima's thta coverd. But i open to segestions.

Bigger values on C206 / C207 i will replace maybe by Mundorfs.

M-Lytic caps are really super. I also replace that one in a LINN subwoofer for someone , that had to bad Jamicons in it , one of the caps state is allready with cup on it.

I have made the Majik caps bigger to 2x 15000uf and buffer caps on c320 and C319 a replaced whit a 220Uf that was a big improvemend!

ooRexQ8.jpg

1. C201 - the input stage low-pass filter, set to 2.2nF - about 8-10 times the normal values we come across ! no wonder the thing has no highs !!
Change it to 390pF, even 470pF will be fine to restore high frequencies.

Afther listening differt options a have to dis agree on this point.

I you make smaller dept takes on, but you lose Spatial Sound Dynamics.

You need to use even bigger one to restore that , 2700pF / 2.7nF a round that size wil do more then fine.

I got somthing one the way, that i'm conne try next week. Afther a lot of lissing to match up hight en balance in dynamiks you sould use noting smaller the a 2.0nf.

However, the feedback cap is only 122uF - no wonder the LK-100 has no bass

I dit not change this yet, but if you do sould consider it , sould know condensators on this place sould have a very low Ripple Current.

I did not change this yet, but if you do should consider it , should know condensators on this place should have a very low Ripple Current.

Lars81 & others : did you find a satisfactory "final" total (re)configuration / specification, I wonder ?

I would also be interested in whether someone at the bias voltage generator has already tried a capacitor (R209 + 210)?
With what knowledge?

Sorry for dragging up such on old thread - but the LK100 does looks like a promising candidate for bodgers.

Was there ever an agreed 'best set of mods' ?

BTW - the problem with a pot to set bias is that it can be microphonic - some manufactures uses a pot to find the optimal resistor value(s) then fit a fixed R.

ooRexQ8.jpg

TBH not quite sure how D210/R216 and D211/R222 work - I guess the diodes limit the voltage drop across the resistors which stop the pre-driver Q210-Q212 etc being shut off ...

The back to back diodes on the inputs are interesting - maybe this aids start-up as the two inputs can't be that different.

... your thoughts would be appreciated.

advertisement

Back