advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Well, apparently it was a good idea to build a whole new network of transport infrastructure to get people to go where they need to be going a tad more conveniently but I get the impression that not a lot of people really thought it through all that well.

Governments. Couldn't organise the proverbial.

You're looking at it the wrong way. The way HS2 is being run makes no sense if you wanted to deliver a useful, good value infrastructure project with minimal environmental impact. On the other hand if you wanted to design a project to shovel £billions of public funds into the pockets of Tory donors...

Thats a shitty hard road for you bruh. Hope things improve soon especially for your wife - Long Covid is horrible.
Thanks Darren - Tonje's feeling better month by month on the covid front, but it is up and down. She tries to stay positive but it is dispiriting, stuck in NHS queues, is finally getting an appointment to get feedback on a leg scan she had two months ago (5 months since she was referred). She was told the real wait would start after that (if they're going to do anything). Has a hernia which regularly causes her pain but GP has said is not sufficiently serious for referral ( due to budgetary restraints), When she was signing on the Job centre told her they couldn't provide any help or advice about finding another job. She just feels she can't get any help with anything.

On topic have just had an email from British Gas to say they have been nominated to take over our supply from People's Energy.

So all the cheapskates on here who used those failed garden shed utility outfits with their underfunded, underhedged business models and unrealistic predatory pricing structures, are going to end up being bailed out by the rest of us? What happened to moral hazard and buyer beware? I think they should just be cut off.
Nobody is going to be bailed out, least of all the consumer, as it is so against Tory principals (nice to know they have some!) The poor people who have entered into a 12 or 24 month contract are going to find that they have no option but to be fostered onto another spiv outfit but onto their higher tariff.
The underfunding and underhedgeing were kept very quiet and I doubt that anyone but the CEOs knew anything about it and there is a good chance that even those CEOs did not fully understand the situation.

Problems for fizzy pop manufacturers and chicken killers:

UK poultry producers have started taking emergency measures to conserve carbon dioxide used to stun birds for slaughter as a shortage of the gas poses an increasingly grave threat to the meat supply chain. And in a measure of the spreading issue, Britain’s soft drinks manufacturers said on Monday that they only had a few days of the key ingredient left.

The closure of two UK fertiliser plants by US company CF Industries, because of surging natural gas prices, has cut off about 60 per cent of the country’s commercial CO2 production. The UK government has been in talks with Tony Will, chief executive of CF Industries, about potential solutions for reopening the plants, which may include subsidising fertiliser production.

https://www.ft.com/content/22d1bac9-815f-4510-91b3-4d0906e2ad24

My son has just completed his Masters at Oslo Uni...in Carbon Capture - they pull carbon from the atmosphere before creating a reaction to solidify it in Basalt. Maybe we could be sourcing the CO2 we now need from the air...

Nobody is going to be bailed out, least of all the consumer, as it is so against Tory principals (nice to know they have some!) The poor people who have entered into a 12 or 24 month contract are going to find that they have no option but to be fostered onto another spiv outfit but onto their higher tariff.
The underfunding and underhedgeing were kept very quiet and I doubt that anyone but the CEOs knew anything about it and there is a good chance that even those CEOs did not fully understand the situation.
I would have thought the pricing structure was a bit of a giveaway, and we will all end up paying for it won't we?

The outfits in trouble now should have been regulated out of existence long ago. It's not the first time this sort of thing has happened and mostly for the same reasons, though admittedly not on this scale.

I don't necessarily regard properly managed companies with viable business models as spivs, and I'm quite glad there are some around at the moment or we'd be in even deeper s**t.

Can anyone clarify why one needs compressed CO2 for an effective stun gun.
I would have thought compressed air, nitrogen or any commercially available gas would do the job,
Why does it need to be carbon dioxide

eddie

gintonic

Thanks for the link re CO2 and poultry killing I am now a lot wiser. I could not envisage how one could use a "stun" gun on all those birds
I grew up on a small farm and an axe was the preferred tool !! I never mastered the art of neck wringing !!

Am I right in thinking that any gas can be used in the stun guns used for cattle and pigs ?

eddie

gintonic

Thanks for the link re CO2 and poultry killing I am now a lot wiser. I could not envisage how one could use a "stun" gun on all those birds
I grew up on a small farm and an axe was the preferred tool !! I never mastered the art of neck wringing !!

Am I right in thinking that any gas can be used in the stun guns used for cattle and pigs ?

eddie

I could be wrong but I don't think gas is used except in the case of pigs which are gassed to death.

https://www.hsa.org.uk/faqs/general

The majority of cattle in the UK are stunned with a captive-bolt pistol. Alternatively cattle are stunned using electricity or stunned and killed using electricity (by applying an electric current to the brain and heart simultaneously). They are then bled to death.

Shall we resurrect the Vegan thread?:(

My son has just completed his Masters at Oslo Uni...in Carbon Capture - they pull carbon from the atmosphere before creating a reaction to solidify it in Basalt. Maybe we could be sourcing the CO2 we now need from the air...
Bulk carbon capture, since a million years b.c

nfWtFNi.jpg

The poor people who have entered into a 12 or 24 month contract are going to find that they have no option but to be fostered onto another spiv outfit but onto their higher tari

Yes, I heard yesterday that whereas nobody's supply will be cut and neither do they need to initiate anything should their company go under, your tariff will cease and you'll be offered one from their range. I don't think one is foisted upon you.

Whereas Ms Kusenburg (?) kept on about increasing food prices when addressing Boris today, she didn't mention the greater problem; affording energy cost increases during the cold months for people on low incomes (my daughter being one such). One can alter one's nutrition habits but not the temperature of the dwelling.

A poster previously blamed Brexit for the gas scenario but I understood it was Europe wide at least, though possibly to a lesser extent.

I would have thought the pricing structure was a bit of a giveaway, and we will all end up paying for it won't we?

The outfits in trouble now should have been regulated out of existence long ago. It's not the first time this sort of thing has happened and mostly for the same reasons, though admittedly not on this scale.

I don't necessarily regard properly managed companies with viable business models as spivs, and I'm quite glad there are some around at the moment or we'd be in even deeper s**t.
Most people thought that those going bust now were properly managed companies as they had to pass scrutiny by Ofgem, who we now know are only interested in keeping the Gov. happy and therefore their salary.

Yes, I heard yesterday that whereas nobody's supply will be cut and neither do they need to initiate anything should their company go under, your tariff will cease and you'll be offered one from their range. I don't think one is foisted upon you.

Whereas Ms Kusenburg (?) kept on about increasing food prices when addressing Boris today, she didn't mention the greater problem; affording energy cost increases during the cold months for people on low incomes (my daughter being one such). One can alter one's nutrition habits but not the temperature of the dwelling.

A poster previously blamed Brexit for the gas scenario but I understood it was Europe wide at least, though possibly to a lesser extent.
You won’t be offered one of a range, you will be put on the standard variable tariff.

advertisement

Back