advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed the first episode of The Squid Game last night. It's a Battle Royale style South-Korean series but it takes time to establish the character's motivations, so it's a little slow at first. Fantastic visual style once the "games" begin.
OK, I'm three episodes in and I'm really enjoying The Squid Game. The second episode is a curveball, and the game in the third episode is genius. There's something disconcerting about seeing childhood games (in South Korea) twisted to such macabre and deadly effect. There's also quite a lot of dark humour (and slapstick). The purpose of the games, and who is behind them, is enigmatic so far and I hope they don't succumb to the temptation to explain too much. I like the fact that a lot is open to interpretation right now (absurdist parable? critique of capitalism? etc.). Great fun if you like quirky, dark and horrible things.

I see "Ted Lusso", on Apple TV+, has won an award at the Emmys. It's one of those programs where, on reading the description, I came to the conclusion that it really wasn't something I'd enjoy (American football coach joins struggling English soccer club), but SWMBO put it on one night, and I was hooked.

Very amusing, bit sweary, but it's got a warm heart & the various characters are excellent.

'The Morning Show' on Apple. I'm enjoying it.Mrs c has already watched series 1, so I'm catching up ready for series 2.

Anyone caught Foundation on Apple?
Only one episode in and I really cannot remember the original trilogy read back in my teens. The odd name and scene rings a bell but...

Anyway, appetite sufficiently wetted. I wonder if they'll ever make a reasonably faithfull version of Asimov's Robot trilogy...

Anyone caught Foundation on Apple?
Only one episode in and I really cannot remember the original trilogy read back in my teens. The odd name and scene rings a bell but...

Anyway, appetite sufficiently wetted. I wonder if they'll ever make a reasonably faithfull version of Asimov's Robot trilogy...
Was about to watch it at work but forgot my headphones

Anyone else noticed the advert breaks now in a lot of dramas etc on AMAZON PRIME (new connection to IMDB) it ruins the flow of the tension.

I have been watching BECK (highly recommended) and started season five over the last two evenings and tonight all episodes are introduced as IMDB with six or seven add breaks, the first break cut into dialogue spoiling the emotion!

started The Chestnut Man on Netflix last night - from the makers of the Killing. Looking good so far.

Prior to that binged all 3 series of Sex Education - Tonje and Emma had watched the first season ages ago and thought I'd give it a go. Loads of laugh out loud moments - was feeling quite down the other night when I started watching, cheered me up considerably.

Watching Squid Game, it’s pretty good
Excellent, I think. Really creepy subversion of children's games and, because the series takes time to establish the characters, some episodes have a real emotional punch. It even ends pretty well (not always a given with sort of high concept TV).

Excellent, I think. Really creepy subversion of children's games and, because the series takes time to establish the characters, some episodes have a real emotional punch. It even ends pretty well (not always a given with sort of high concept TV).
I am watching the dubbed version which I don’t normally do, some of the voice work is pretty dire.

Just finished watching the mini series CLICKBAIT on Netflix with the gf. Thought it was pretty good.

Also started watching Clickbait after a few have mentioned it, initially I thought it was OK…now I can’t put it down, very fast paced, very good so far, won’t spoil it for anyone, but it makes you guess and guess, then guess a bit more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back