advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson and The Truss are in Washington attempting to patch up “the special relationship”. Here’s Johnson referring to the President of The United States as if he were some Italian fish and chip shop proprietor,

“The reality is that Joe has a lot of fish to fry. He’s got a huge infrastructure package, he’s got a build back better package. We want to do it, but what we want is a good free trade agreement. And I would much rather get a deal that really works for the UK than get a quick deal.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...deal-progress-unlikely?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

There’s no way he’s getting near a free trade deal til he stops threatening to break the Northern Ireland Protocol and he knows it.

The Americans roll the red door mat out for the Foreign Secretary,

Kg6PJwi.jpg

…she wasn’t allowed to bring any cheese in

Boris and his minions couldn’t even negotiate a meal deal upgrade in McDonald’s never mind bring home a beneficial free trade deal that doesn’t turn us into a supplicant to the USA.

if you attempt to not pay tax you're an evader.

HMRC will tell you that there's no legal or moral obligation on you to pay more tax than you have to. It's entirely reasonable for organisations and individuals to try to minimise the amount of tax they pay. It's down to governments to frame the legislation to ensure that they pay enough.

Biden's approach will be to Europe as a whole, as with the travel he just announced. The only justification for dealing with the UK differently would be if it was somehow more advantageous to them over a similar arrangement. The sight of little Johnson trying to play big boys would be funny if it wasn't so costly and pathetic looking. The US will smell his desperation and unfortunately for him, they care what he says and does even if he doesn't and have longer memories.

Had to laugh at his soundbite about wanting a good deal rather than a quick deal, pity he hasn't adopted that approach with a far larger trade deal on our own doorstep. There speaks a man who knows there is nothing doing.

HMRC will tell you that there's no legal or moral obligation on you to pay more tax than you have to. It's entirely reasonable for organisations and individuals to try to minimise the amount of tax they pay. It's down to governments to frame the legislation to ensure that they pay enough.

This is true, but when we have political party that are tax avoiders / evaders and are funded by tax avoiders, joe public (the rest of us) have a problem and the burdens of society are not shared.

I do think there’s a difference between claiming all the allowances, etc, that you are entitled to, and arranging your business affairs in an artificial way (trusts, offshore divisions, etc) that serves no actual business need beyond the avoidance of tax that would otherwise be paid.

it is entirely reasonable for organisations and individuals to try to minimise the amount of tax they pay

This has long been the attitude of wealthy people who have always used accountants and solicitors to ensure tax efficiency. This train of thought seems to have become the dominant attitude to paying tax amongst the wider UK and US populations in recent years . And an entire industry has grown to implement tax avoidance.

Whilst not illegal it is however morally wrong and a sure sign of a fractured, self-centred society. It doesn't have to be this way.

This has long been the attitude of wealthy people who have always used accountants and solicitors to ensure tax efficiency. This train of thought seems to have become the dominant attitude to paying tax amongst the wider UK and US populations in recent years . And an entire industry has grown to implement tax avoidance.

Whilst not illegal it is however morally wrong and a sure sign of a fractured, self-centred society. It doesn't have to be this way.
Yes. Lord Ashcroft is a prime example, any investigation into his tax affairs has faltered into a web of shell companies and complex arrangements to hide his money.

The emphasis should not be on HMRC to prove his avoidance, the burden of proof should be on the avoider; anyone who wished to call themselves British, or receive British honours, or to hold office in British Government, should have to prove that they pay all their tax in the UK. In other words it should be a condition of holding a UK passport that you pay all your tax to the UK

The UK tax laws need to be simplified to cut out all of those loopholes. Legislation is more effective than conscience pricking.

I see the gravity-defying Bezos is today providing grants worth $1 billion to support conversation efforts around the globe. This is part of his $10 billion fund to support activists, scientists and various outfits working on climate change. My guess is that he is doing more for the green cause (including developing countries) than the entire left-wing membership of PF. Maybe it's better that he spends his own money rather than donating it to our government which will only use it to fund vanity projects like Brexit boats and to line cabinet pockets during a health crisis. Of course if the spaceman is breaking any tax laws he should be held accountable in court.

Johnson and The Truss are in Washington attempting to patch up “the special relationship”. Here’s Johnson referring to the President of The United States as if he were some Italian fish and chip shop proprietor,

“The reality is that Joe has a lot of fish to fry. He’s got a huge infrastructure package, he’s got a build back better package. We want to do it, but what we want is a good free trade agreement. And I would much rather get a deal that really works for the UK than get a quick deal.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...deal-progress-unlikely?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

There’s no way he’s getting near a free trade deal til he stops threatening to break the Northern Ireland Protocol and he knows it.

The Americans roll the red door mat out for the Foreign Secretary,

Kg6PJwi.jpg

…she wasn’t allowed to bring any cheese in

"And I would much rather get a deal that really works for the UK than get a quick deal.” Isn't that just an updated version of...no deal is better than a bad deal?

I see the gravity-defying Bezos is today providing grants worth $1 billion to support conversation efforts around the globe. This is part of his $10 billion fund to support activists, scientists and various outfits working on climate change. My guess is that he is doing more for the green cause (including developing countries) than the entire left-wing membership of PF. Maybe it's better that he spends his own money rather than donating it to our government which will only use it to fund vanity projects like Brexit boats and to line cabinet pockets during a health crisis. Of course if the spaceman is breaking any tax laws he should be held accountable in court.
Is the right wing of PF doing more for the Green Cause?

Yes. Lord Ashcroft is a prime example, any investigation into his tax affairs has faltered into a web of shell companies and complex arrangements to hide his money.

The emphasis should not be on HMRC to prove his avoidance, the burden of proof should be on the avoider; anyone who wished to call themselves British, or receive British honours, or to hold office in British Government, should have to prove that they pay all their tax in the UK. In other words it should be a condition of holding a UK passport that you pay all your tax to the UK

That won't work because I have a UK passport, live abroad and have to pay all of my taxes to the country I live in. No taxes are payable in the UK. Does that mean I should not have a UK passport?

That won't work because I have a UK passport, live abroad and have to pay all of my taxes to the country I live in. No taxes are payable in the UK. Does that mean I should not have a UK passport?
No, I was thinking more of Lord Ashcroft who has abused his non-Dom status for gain.

Of course that's the position, but it's not at all 'reasonable'. It's an indication that tax policy is weakly enforced and influenced by lobbying and people subject to tax obligations having a hand in drawing up tax legislation. Tax is levied for a specific reason at a specific rate, not so some so called 'entrepreneur' can can wangle a raft of exceptions claiming rebates against purchasing private cars and computers as a 'business expense'. And certainly the richest man in the world, running a company which has more money than some nations does not need assistance.

Well I assume ks.234 means people obviously resident in the UK with a UK passport, obviously conducting business from there, but registering all activity as taking place elsewhere. And also being elected to office.

Only plebs like me and you pay their fair share of income tax.

For years I didn't buy anything from Amazon for this reason and tried to support my local high street but it has become difficult during the pandemic.

I generally tell people about my 'intake evening' or whatever they call it at the Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel here). The first major discussion was basically how to avoid tax. They didn't call it that, but that's what it was. And that this is seen as not only normal and fair game, but actually necessary in order to be profitably 'in business'. I wish I had filmed the reaction in the room when I said I intended to comply with tax liabilities and maybe they should too. It was taken as an example of 'dry British humour' and raised a good old laugh.
Tax dodging is a sport here, it's not a coincidence that the Netherlands is on a list of known tax havens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back