advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
51496196363_a7e80712b2_c.jpg

Olivia Ariadne Hussain, 12 hours old.

staff workload matters - meeting with solictors to kick off an interesting big data project - operational matters

Attended my first exercise class for cancer patients followed by a relaxation session.

After lunch we walked to the local supermarket to pick up some goodies to have for breakfast picnic on the beach tomorrow and see the sun rise on our anniversary

Stopped off at the local biscuit shop and bought a bag of broken biscuits £1.99 for > 700g.

Working from home today. Ben, the piano tuner, is now here. I always wait for the humidity to drop below 60 for 2 weeks before getting the Z1 tuned. It means only having to get it tuned once annually. Ben always says the Z1 was a flukey shrewd purchase, and the brand is more impervious to moisture and humidity than most...

Back home. Went for our second visit to RHS Bridgewater this afternoon. We last went in May, so it was very interesting to see how the borders have developed over the summer.

Attended my first exercise class for cancer patients followed by a relaxation session.

After lunch we walked to the local supermarket to pick up some goodies to have for breakfast picnic on the beach tomorrow and see the sun rise on our anniversary

Stopped off at the local biscuit shop and bought a bag of broken biscuits £1.99 for > 700g.

Worra tightwad!

Work ..and flu jab (FOC at work). I never bothered until last year, but now I'm knocking on a bit, and with Covid around, thought it best to.

I’ve been clearing my father’s place, now that he’s shuffled off to a retirement home. Several thousand books to sort, photograph and find homes for. Giving away books is so much more difficult than binning them, but a promise is a promise.

I’ve been clearing my father’s place, now that he’s shuffled off to a retirement home. Several thousand books to sort, photograph and find homes for. Giving away books is so much more difficult than binning them, but a promise is a promise.
You have my sympathy. Trying to get my 94 yr old father into a care home (for his own well being rather than medical need) and one of the sticking points is 60 years of stuff he is sure is worth money, but isn’t. It’s not about worth, it’s about letting go, and he can’t.

It’s been a busy day.

Had the eye test done and no real change since last time. The environment wasn’t too bad but I do a test every week so I’ll see if anything shows up. I’ll be going back next month for contacts.

Had the haircut done so looking human again, flu jab arranged for next month and bought a UK-US travel adapter from Wilko.

M&S was a waste of time but everything else went to plan.

My father is the same age. My parents bought this house in 1958… and they’ve kept everything. Full invoices on everything since then… it’s interesting to see the evolution of prices of things like cars, white goods, furniture, house improvements etc. in proportion to income. But the interest is starting to wear off, replaced by useless “meaning of life” questions.

My father was a language and literature teacher, who kept full records of his class preparations (not a problem, binned) and also of his students going back to the ‘50s, including grades and disciplinary actions where applicable (GDPR not a concern for him). He retired more than 30 years ago, but it’s all here. I’ve been feeding the shredder for hours on end with a steady diet of paper and occasional squirts of vegetable oil. I feel the machine is shredding the traces of his working life, but his achievements were more intangible, and I’ve kept the cards sent by grateful students as they wrote to him about exams and their own new jobs as teachers.

Are there no local museums of social history that might jump at the chance of such an archive?

My father is the same age. My parents bought this house in 1958… and they’ve kept everything. Full invoices on everything since then… it’s interesting to see the evolution of prices of things like cars, white goods, furniture, house improvements etc. in proportion to income. But the interest is starting to wear off, replaced by useless “meaning of life” questions.

My father was a language and literature teacher, who kept full records of his class preparations (not a problem, binned) and also of his students going back to the ‘50s, including grades and disciplinary actions where applicable (GDPR not a concern for him). He retired more than 30 years ago, but it’s all here. I’ve been feeding the shredder for hours on end with a steady diet of paper and occasional squirts of vegetable oil. I feel the machine is shredding the traces of his working life, but his achievements were more intangible, and I’ve kept the cards sent by grateful students as they wrote to him about exams and their own new jobs as teachers.

You must have a heavy-duty shredder, the thermal cut out on ours kicks in at 10 minutes!

Are there no local museums of social history that might jump at the chance of such an archive?
I haven’t found any. I’m hoping to give the literature books to the university and school where he taught. His WW2 books (hundreds of them) and research have already gone to a local publisher, who’s building up a library of notes, books and manuscripts.

Had the eye test done and no real change since last time. The environment wasn’t too bad

I had my eye test about 3 months ago. I did find a problem with the face mask. I tend to have dry eyes at the best of times, this was made worse by the leakage at the top of the mask. I would probably use a more work type mask which fitted better if masks are still required next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back