advertisement

A Simple vinyl set up - where next for tangible improvements?

ossy

pfm Member
I’ve been slowly building up a decent sounding hifi again over the last couple of years. It’s been a bit of a lifesaver really over these weird times, I’ve spent many an hour seeking refuge from the world, spinning vinyl (and buying records online). Whatever anybody else thinks I personally feel that a record really is one of the most enjoyable ways to connect and listen to music. I have a rasberry pi streamer but don’t use this much.

Overall I’m pretty happy, but as I sit here in the sun listening to some Getz, am thinking ahead. Whilst my set up is pretty pedestrian compared to some on here I know you all have a large collective experience from which to draw. In terms of improving things I feel I’m at a bit of a crossroads and any tangible improvement is probably going to cost a significant amount so would like to get some advice as to where to look, either turntable, amp or speakers.

I currently have a planar 3 with an exact, sounds fab to my ears (I also picked up a groovetracer sub platter from the wigwam which changed/improved things), Quad vena II with phono stage and a pair of Ruark sabre 3’s. Also a rasberry pi streamer with digi hat, the amp has a dac. The whole lot has so far cost me approx £1500 which seems a lot for those normal people not into hifi and peanuts for anybody who is!

Maybe I should just leave as is. I’m certainly enjoying the smaller box count compared to my last set up. I guess I could go for a planar 6? However, I am wondering whether some speakers would be worth trying. I’ve been looking at Triangle Titus ez’s or perhaps some proac tablettes but am not sure how these would compare to the ruarks? The room is small so standmounts fit best.

I’m not one to write long posts so I’ll just add a picture for inspiration. Any ideas, or criticism(!) much appreciated. As for budget? Not sure really, but probs up to 1k or half of that second hand.

59-D6-C830-8-BAD-4-FEB-81-E9-09-CCEA6-DDF02.jpg

Nice and well-balanced setup! While I haven't heard the Ruark Sabres, my gut instinct is that you'd find the biggest bang for buck in an upgrade to the speakers - in my experience they tend to be the things that give the biggest jump in quality. But it's always so subjective - to me it depends entirely on the type/genre of music you like, and Ruarks are usually a bit under-valued (on the used market) in my experience, so it's difficult to say definitively.

But the Proac Tablettes you mention are monsters in terms of quality for small standmounts - from what I've seen you'd be pushing toward the upper end of your 1k for a used pair. But they are well-regarded for good reason. If you find listening to Jazz a regular occurrence, you might want to keep an eye out for a used pair of Harbeth P3ESRs popping up on the classifieds, which usually come in around 1k used. From auditions I've had in the past I've found their slighht warmth (while retaining accuracy) to work beautifully with Jazz and vocals (less so with electronic), however I think many on here prefer the Tablettes as a well rounded pair for a wide range of genres (I myself am a bit torn). But also keep an eye out for Audio Note AN-Ks which occasionally (but rarely) come up used under 1k - and these are simply astounding for Jazz (I have a pair in my current Jazz/vocal focused system). And while I haven't heard them myself, the classic LS3/5A always seems to raise its head in shootouts between these types of speaker, so you may want to check that one out too.

Having built and re-built and re-built and re-built systems over the years I only have one solid recommendation: buy once, buy right. Push your budget to what you can, and get the most you can for that amount - with that in mind I'd always recommend buying used, and usually off a forum like this, as you often get some great tips for setup and sometimes even get to hear what another setup can do if you are able to collect - and that itself has been eye opening for me... in an expensive way admittedly... it's a rabbit hole...

(PS I think this is a v useful thread at this price point: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/harbeth-p3esr-alternative.228650)

Thanks for your detailed reply. I’ve always fancied a pair of Harbeth’s but have been put off by the insane price hikes recently. I haven’t seen many second hand recently but perhaps I’ll start looking.

Have a look at the ATC stand mounts, I think there is a pair for sale on classifieds? Excellent quality drivers & very neutral. They are not very efficient but not a difficult load.

At the other end I would seriously look at a P8, they do come up for sale around £1200 & it would be a massive upgrade. Ultimately go for a big jump or don’t bother.

I diagnose a mild case of Audionervosa. By all means listen to advice given, but you seem to be happy with your current setup.

I would recommend spending your money on more music, and the tipple of your choice for the time being. Don't rush into anything.

Thankyou doctor, you are right. However, this has been the longest I’ve sat content in my hifi career and I am getting itchy!

I’ve been spending my hard earned cash on records (there’s a brilliant record shop in Bridport if anybody ever gets to Dorset) and should continue to do so.

Spending money on music will give you more enjoyment than spending money on kit. Gear swapping is a never ending carousel of disappointment, just look at all the gents who swap gear regularly chasing some phantom notion of perfection and never achieve it. (Fair enough if your enjoyment is based on trying new kit, as opposed to listening to music, but really!)

Sabre’s are very good, I would most definitely not change them. Unless perhaps you like the house sound and swap for Talismans which are dirt cheap nowadays and a fairly forgiving speaker.

They would benefit from both a better turntable and meaty amps. What amp is it?

Spending money on music will give you more enjoyment than spending money on kit. Gear swapping is a never ending carousel of disappointment, just look at all the gents who swap gear regularly chasing some phantom notion of perfection and never achieve it. (Fair enough if your enjoyment is based on trying new kit, as opposed to listening to music, but really!)

I have done this before and ended up with a quite nice system. However, i went off down a few blind alleys before throwing in the towel and selling it all to fund other things (densen beat / Townsend rock / p75 phono stage / ruark talismans - sounded great on some things, louse on others).

The set up I have now is deliberately simple and sounds lovely. I think maybe that’s why it sounds lovely because there’s very little to fuss over.

Sabre’s are very good, I would most definitely not change them. Unless perhaps you like the house sound and swap for Talismans which are dirt cheap nowadays and a fairly forgiving speaker.

They would benefit from both a better turntable and meaty amps. What amp is it?

I previously had a pair of talismans, lovely things but too large for the room, hence the sabre’s.

I think I’m maybe undervaluing the Sabre’s?

I previously had a pair of talismans, lovely things but too large for the room, hence the sabre’s.

I think I’m maybe undervaluing the Sabre’s?

Ah, I had them for ten years and they were great.

I’d stick with the Sabre’s as they are an excellent stand mount speaker. Unless you want a different presentation that is.

Nice system. What I would do however is to get a decent copy of Jazz Samba, that’s some dodgy EU copyright loophole pirate/bootleg and it won’t have been anywhere even remotely near a master tape! Find a nice Verve label copy, ideally a US original, but many good options over the years so plenty out there.

advertisement

Back