advertisement

DBLS Grilles.

the loaf

pfm Member
Hi,
I need a pair of replacement grilles for dbls . It does appear that no-one is making these anymore so before I get,er, 'creative' with some foam stuff on ebay I thought I would check in to see if anyone knows if they are still obtainable ? (It looks like TomTom have stopped as the USA based one .)
Cheers.

I used my DBLs sans grills for a decade. I know they were designed to be used with the proper grills but they worked fine and so don't feel they need to be covered up. The problem with getting DIY grills or ones from a 3rd party is that sometimes they mess up the sound.

The Tom-Tom foam DBL grilles are excellent, no problems with the sound. I do notice a difference in sound quality when they're removed, but it's not huge. I do prefer the looks of my DBLs with the grilles in place; besides, SWMBO would hate them even more if I tried to leave the foams off.

I asked Naim for the original foam grill drawing for DBL and got it. And I asked my friend to make it. He has completely restored the Linn Isobarik foam grill in the past.

He told me back side mid range were very difficult to dig Because have to dig vertically deep enough to almost touch the front side.

But if many people want to make it, my friend might make it.

The problem with replacing old foam grilles with new foam grilles is the propensity for the new ones to turn into old ones!

I bought a set of reproduction Isobarik foam grilles from Korea about ten or so years ago. Not cheap but looked perfect but they have now decided that they want to live on the floor as piles of black sticky dust. So...I'm not buying foam grilles again. Much as I love the look, especially on Isobariks which have sculpted fronts, I'm going to make wood frames and fit cloth grilles.

I've done this before a couple of times. Much cheaper than foam and won't rot. Be sad not to see those vertical stripes but foam is just too much of a liability.

The problem with replacing old foam grilles with new foam grilles is the propensity for the new ones to turn into old ones!

I bought a set of reproduction Isobarik foam grilles from Korea about ten or so years ago. Not cheap but looked perfect but they have now decided that they want to live on the floor as piles of black sticky dust. So...I'm not buying foam grilles again. Much as I love the look, especially on Isobariks which have sculpted fronts, I'm going to make wood frames and fit cloth grilles.

I've done this before a couple of times. Much cheaper than foam and won't rot. Be sad not to see those vertical stripes but foam is just too much of a liability.
I'm using the same reproduction Isobarik foam grilles, but it's fine. What causes it to crumble quickly?

I'm using the same reproduction Isobarik foam grilles, but it's fine. What causes it to crumble quickly?

I have no idea. I assumed that they would have figured out why the foam rotted and be using a different kind of foam now. Wrong. I'm not chancing it again. The manufacturer can tell you anything as it will be at least a decade before the foam starts to go so on way you'll have any comeback on it.

advertisement

Back