advertisement

Vintage Linn MCs

6n8 is 6800pf or 6.8nF which is what you'd expect on S I don't need a loupe to read resistor colour codes LH is 470R and RH is 560R The axial polystyrenes on the RH boards likely as not are 1n0 or 1000pF. I actually am rather good at electronics.
Thanks for your help!

Similar problem fortunately I moved house and had a dedicated spur put in, solved the problem.

Interesting, as I can't see any correlation between RFI and a dedicated RADIAL (a spur comes off another circuit, so I'm assuming yours is a radial, or there's little point in installing one :)). I've had fully dedicated (one radial per piece of kit into separate c.u. etc.) for over 16 years so RFI has never been a by-product of domestic ring mains interference. Having said that, cables can pick up some spurious wavelengths. My RFI was only on (moving coil) phono and diminished gradually from K boards to Prefix to Superline. Non-existent when I went to on-board valved phono stage or when I changed my record player (can't remember).

Oddly, when RFI was bad (and often in a foreign language), the s.q. was fantastic. Never did figure that one out !

I disagree and think Expert Stylus is very professional and has done a great job with my Klyde and Troika cartridges which they have rebuilt several times over a dozen years. They were also not “cut and shut” or whatever a previous poster stated. I have also used Goldring and they do a great job as well. Sorry to hear of increased prices.

The reason that you sometimes end up with a cut and shut, is if the cantilever is broken. I bought a Klyde with a broken cantilever on eBay & got it off to ESCO & it came back with a new section fitted to the existing stub (what is called a cut & shut), whereas Goldring fitted a fresh cantilever to my Troika. I've used both companies with no problem , but ESCO has tended to be re-tips, whereas Goldring carried out the following work on my Troika.:
  • Replace the cantilever and diamond with a new Ogura fine line.
  • Rewind the coil/armature with new copper wire.
  • Replace the tie-wire assembly/suspension with new.
  • Clean & run full operating tests.
In the old days, I had an Ittok LVII/Asak. The shop upgraded me to an Asak-T, after they broke my Asak during a routine LP12 set-up. I don't remember there being a night & day difference between them TBH, but The Troika was in another world altogether.

My Klyde and Troika were rebuilt during the time when Linn had their rebuild program. Those were the two cartridges I had rebuilt by ESCO several times. The only parts replaced for all those ESCO rebuilds were the stylus. Results were alway good.

Interesting, as I can't see any correlation between RFI and a dedicated RADIAL (a spur comes off another circuit, so I'm assuming yours is a radial, or there's little point in installing one :)). I've had fully dedicated (one radial per piece of kit into separate c.u. etc.) for over 16 years so RFI has never been a by-product of domestic ring mains interference. Having said that, cables can pick up some spurious wavelengths. My RFI was only on (moving coil) phono and diminished gradually from K boards to Prefix to Superline. Non-existent when I went to on-board valved phono stage or when I changed my record player (can't remember).

Oddly, when RFI was bad (and often in a foreign language), the s.q. was fantastic. Never did figure that one out !

Yes, it sounds like you're right but I'm no electrician and it was over 30 years ago! Bizarrely iirc my RFI was mostly taxis.

Picked up my deck yesterday with Goldring rebuilt Karma.

Sounds really good on Valhalla/Ittok deck. Whilst collecting, I heard a few songs through the new Klimax DSM and Klimax 350A speakers - that was something. Amazed how much information a mid-80s LP12 was pulling off the record all this time. Never heard K350As sound that good before. Valhalla/Ittok bass is the best :)

Anyway, back home and I think it does need some time to run in but certainly sounds good already.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Do you know of any good MC rebuilders in the EU?
But I assume that rebuilding of a cartrigde shouldn't be taxed apart from the UK VAT for a service rendered. Import duties both ways should be 0 since there's no ownership change, right?

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Do you know of any good MC rebuilders in the EU?
But I assume that rebuilding of a cartrigde shouldn't be taxed apart from the UK VAT for a service rendered. Import duties both ways should be 0 since there's no ownership change, right?
Don't know if they still offer the service, but I once had a vdH rebuilt Troika that sounded rather nice.

advertisement

Back