advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My impression when in Europe is, compared to the UK, they are higher cost but higher quality economy. Taxes are higher but worker protection better, less double-job working, reliance on overtime and little zero hours bullshit. The UK is rapidly converging on the US model of low tax, casualised labour and high inequality.
In fact all we need now is an insurance based healthcare system…

Priti identified in Britannia Unchained that Brits are less productive than their foreign peers and don't want to work, especially in manual jobs. She also cut off the supply of those who will.

Liz has taken a stab at defining Global Britain:

"...going out into the world in a positive and confident spirit to tackle the major challenges of our age alongside our friends and allies. I want us to project this vision to the world and ensure that everyone in Britain knows that our best days lie ahead."

Top boosterism (and more catnip for Leave voters).

Interesting update in the FT about food shortages. A few quotes:

"UK fruit and vegetable growers are cutting their planting for 2022 after unprecedented labour shortages led to widespread wastage of produce, with hundreds of tonnes of crops from broccoli to raspberries left to rot in the fields."

"Farmers say a pilot visa scheme introduced to admit seasonal workers after Brexit has not been sufficient..."

"Now growers are planning smaller harvests for next year, expecting that the balance will be made up by imports..."

"Growers had hoped that EU workers with UK settled or pre-settled status would return this year. But these also have the option of working in other EU countries such as Germany, where free movement remains. Meanwhile, the broader UK labour crisis has drawn some former farm workers into sectors from lorry driving to hospitality."

The Home Office said: “We continue to work closely with industry to understand labour demand and supply, including both permanent and seasonal workforce requirements, while encouraging employers to make long-term investments in the UK domestic workforce and automation technology.”

“If the government allows this to go on to the end of the year or beginning of next year, there will be a big structural change in the sector — a decline in production,”

Page 54 already? It must be Historic Comedy Gold Time!

Here’s a vintage clip of new Tory “Culture” minister, Marjorie Taylor Greene stand-in, and all-round Brexit ultra Nadine Dorries criticising Theresa May’s Brexit “deal” for no longer allowing the voices of MEPs (Independent).

If she wasn’t such an impending threat to the arts and culture of this country this degree of ‘thick as mince’ would actually be quite funny. Seriously, WTAF?

Priti identified in Britannia Unchained that Brits are less productive than their foreign peers and don't want to work, especially in manual jobs. She also cut off the supply of those who will.
The central manifesto from those Young Turks Liz Truss, Dominic Raaab and Priti (Keele University’s Paul Krugman) Patel-

“We are convinced that Britain’s best days are not behind us. We cannot afford to listen to the siren voices of the statists who are happy for Britain to become a second rate power in Europe, and a third rate power in the world. Decline is not inevitable"

They’ve succeeded in making Britain a non-power in Europe and a third rate power in the world in less than five years and we haven’t hit the bottom yet. Still, we can gang up with Australia against China.

My impression when in Europe is, compared to the UK, they are higher cost but higher quality economy. Taxes are higher but worker protection better, less double-job working, reliance on overtime and little zero hours bullshit. The UK is rapidly converging on the US model of low tax, casualised labour and high inequality.
I'll leave room for any other people here in Europe to agree or disagree, but I've lived in 4 EU countries over 22 years (currently NL for longest) and every single one has moved towards the total neoliberal model in its own way (which is standard EU policy anyway). NL may be the worst of the bunch of top tier members, where there are plenty at the bottom end doing multiple jobs and a lot of zero hours contract jobs. Union membership is and has always generally been paltry here, so employees have next to no bargaining power. The 'polder model' of supposedly managing conflict is a smokescreen and whenever something does erupt the business bigwigs come on the news to lament that NL is 'attempting the destructive French method of strike action'. Most of the 'wealth' here is from the huge export account. It's also a known tax haven.

Taxes are notoriously slippery because of the methodologies used to calculate and dozens of loopholes, however... Currently the UK's highest marginal income tax rate matches any EU country. In some cases it is a couple of percentage points higher than (e.g. Spain) in some a couple lower than (e.g Belgium). The only major difference is corporation tax. The U.S. is more complicated, because although a state like e.g. Texas has no income tax it has large property taxes. In general though, since tax is a topic far exceeding a casual forum post, the matter is not really the rate, but where it is levied and collected, or where the 'burden' falls. 'Lower tax' is equal to government spending (since the reverse is recovery of spent/issued money), but the problem is that 'spending' doesn't benefit middle to lower mass of people who would benefit most.

Last edited:

Is this the same Europe that lives under the imperialist, neoliberal EU? /s

The central manifesto from those Young Turks Liz Truss, Dominic Raaab and Priti (Keele University’s Paul Krugman) Patel-

“We are convinced that Britain’s best days are not behind us. We cannot afford to listen to the siren voices of the statists who are happy for Britain to become a second rate power in Europe, and a third rate power in the world. Decline is not inevitable"

They’ve succeeded in making Britain a non-power in Europe and a third rate power in the world in less than five years and we haven’t hit the bottom yet. Still, we can gang up with Australia against China.

Isn't Boris a statist now?

Good for you, pity about the people who cannot afford your choices. The public and governments are very used to cheap food and benefit levels and the lack of subsidy for healthy food reflect that. The food industry supports those objectives, it doesn't drive them. You also omitted to say where the larger scale funding would come from (outside of your own gesture) if this situation changes.
"Good for you, pity about the people who cannot afford your choices".
Whatever you say. Sarcasm is to be expected so I won't bother wasting my time by explaining the obvious.

Re the bit in bold. I was in the local co-op the other day and noticed a large bag of crisps for £1.70, but buy 2 for £2. I suppose this is what consumers have "demanded" and is nothing to do with food industry profit and simply wanting to simply sell more unhealthy crap. Have you heard the latest Weetabix advert on the radio, by any chance? Consumer demand, or an effort to make people think they should eat more Weetabix?

As for the last sentence. I omitted to talk about larger scale funding, did I? I have no idea what you're talking about. What is it you think I said in my post?

Given that UC is to be cut I think we can be sure about the government's attitude to higher food prices.
I'm sure their attitude is very bad, but it's irrelevant to the point. I'm certain I dislike the tories more than you do but their attitude toward higher food prices is nothing to do with the latest exchange about recruitment problems in some "food" factory.

More important than anything above, it's clear there will be no description of the conditions of employment being offered by this factory, or any attempt at a genuine analysis of what is going on, just angry protest about the salary being fantastic (not being less than minimum wage) and how much overtime is possible.

"Good for you, pity about the people who cannot afford your choices".
Whatever you say. Sarcasm is to be expected so I won't bother wasting my time by explaining the obvious.

Coming from one of the rudest posters on here, there is a large pinch of salt to be taken.

Re the bit in bold. I was in the local co-op the other day and noticed a large bag of crisps for £1.70, but buy 2 for £2. I suppose this is what consumers have "demanded" and is nothing to do with food industry profit and simply wanting to simply sell more unhealthy crap.

What has the retailer’s pricing offer got to do with the producer? Are you saying that the food manufacturer dictated how and what price Co-Op sell these at?

As for the last sentence. I omitted to talk about larger scale funding, did I? I have no idea what you're talking about.

No surprise. You mean you don’t have a clue beyond the blanket assertion you made.

I'm certain I dislike the tories more than you do

Ha yes of course you do, that’s why you spend most of your time here posting in support of them.

More important than anything above, it's clear there will be no description of the conditions of employment being offered by this factory, or any attempt at a genuine analysis of what is going on, just angry protest about the salary being fantastic (not being less than minimum wage) and how much overtime is possible.

Conditions of employment where? Do you mean SteveG’s place? If you are going to intervene in points not aimed at you, perhaps take the time to read up first. Conditions were not part of that discussion.

^

I reply in the same manner people post to me, there was nothing rude in my post, yours however is loaded with sarcasm.

Is there any specific reason I’m not allowed (by you) to raise the question of conditions of employment given the discussion before your sarcastic interjection was about the difficulties of recruitment and Steve had insisted the salary was good?

By the way, what has SteveG got to to do with it?

Last edited:
It doesn’t need to be said these are related, it’s obvious.

What you see from food industry apologists is the tale the consumer demands cheaper product. It’s rubbish and a getout for pedalling sub standard stuff and treating staff like crap. People buy what is available, the main driver is greed for excess profit.

As an aside, I am very much prepared to pay more for improved working conditions should that be normal in our society, but not for lining the pockets of executives, bullying management and shareholders.
I agree, mostly, but sometimes it's not that simple. What if the major shareholder happens to be your pension fund? In one sense the answer is simple, you bail out and accept a lower return, but would we all do that? I can afford to be smug about these things because the taxpayer pays my bloated index linked pension, gratis Deo, but many can't

In fact all we need now is an insurance based healthcare system…
Doesn't most of Western Europe have a mixture of NHS type provision backed up by private insurance? My French friends, who are all self-confessed hypochondriacs like most French people so they tell me, seem happy with the service they get. No delays, no waiting lists, and you can see the equivalent of a consultant without GP referral. They pay more, but seem to get a better service.

My French GP was telling me a few years ago that their system was in crisis and becoming financially unviable.

Initially posted this in the wrong thread. Ah I suppose at this point everything is about Brexit in the UK :D

Another Brexit positive for Ireland. M&S are sourcing Irish producers to try and reinstate the 800 odd lines they have had to pull from Irish stores.
Inclined to think Scotland need to go for it and try and engineer their independence. What is left of the UK will have little option but to come to sensible arrangements with its nearest neighbours. In a weird way it is like reverse 'Brexiteerism' they will need Scotland, Ireland and in the long term possibly NI more than they need Wales/England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back