advertisement

Linn Sekrit DSM - The future of Hi Fi?

What's wrong with the Linn Sekrit DSM. Surely it won't be worse than connecting up my laptop via DAC to my amp?

Personally, I think we all rely too much these days on computers and phones. Manufacturers tie you up to their tech and when it goes wrong, its either very difficult or impossible to fix it or resolve it. Eventually it all ends up in land fill within a few years, which is no good for anyone and least of all our planet...

One problem is - the 'app' works on current Ipads and phones. In 5 years (say) time will the then current phone/ipad run the app? - or will the app have been updated to run on the latest hardware. Probably not - so you either need to keep an old ipad (with a bad battery by then) around to control it - or accept that the box has become a brick.

As to expecting it to last say 20 years (a reasonable life for a £1600 investment, in my book), well....that seems very unlikely. In 20 yrs Iphones will probably not exist and whatever does exist will not look remotely as they do now - maybe we will be walking around with active implants by then - seems feasible.

Reactions: GT
One problem is - the 'app' works on current Ipads and phones. In 5 years (say) time will the then current phone/ipad run the app? - or will the app have been updated to run on the latest hardware. Probably not - so you either need to keep an old ipad (with a bad battery by then) around to control it - or accept that the box has become a brick.

As to expecting it to last say 20 years (a reasonable life for a £1600 investment, in my book), well....that seems very unlikely. In 20 yrs Iphones will probably not exist and whatever does exist will not look remotely as they do now - maybe we will be walking around with active implants by then - seems feasible.
Well Linn have been making their DS streamers for 14 years now and their earliest models are still fully supported… I think that’s a pretty good track record for longevity.

The Logitech User forum gives an excellent model for ongoing support of such products. Years after Logitech dropped the product its use goes from strength to strength now mostly based around Pis. Worldwide contributions are taking the underlying server software to the latest generation of streaming products and full support for new file structures of high res files.
Mind this is a low cost product with a mass user base. It's still one of the biggest competitors to the expensive exotica that Linn and other companies produce.

A company in Germany called Polyvection started to manufacture two streamers and a server based on LMS. Suitable for those not interested in faffing about with Pi and hats.

advertisement

Back