advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What level of granularity do you use for logging storage of your wine in CT? I’ve, so far, got as far as “cellar” and the bonded storage locations I use. The cellar itself is laid out to bins, but I haven’t bothered/got round to labelling them in CT. I tell myself I quite enjoy staring at the bins trying to work out what to drink (like admiring the well stocked rows of bottles in a bar - 436 different gins at the last one I spent any time in), but there are times when I want a particular bottle and can get annoyed when I can’t find it straight away.

What level of granularity do you use for logging storage of your wine in CT? I’ve, so far, got as far as “cellar” and the bonded storage locations I use. The cellar itself is laid out to bins, but I haven’t bothered/got round to labelling them in CT. I tell myself I quite enjoy staring at the bins trying to work out what to drink (like admiring the well stocked rows of bottles in a bar - 436 different gins at the last one I spent any time in), but there are times when I want a particular bottle and can get annoyed when I can’t find it straight away.
Under Location I have Bond, Cellar and (still stuck in) France. I’ve then subdivided Bond into merchants (all two of them) and Cellar is split into 62 bins of 8-12 bottles and Box, which contains everything not yet in a bin (generally stuff for the long haul.)

If I feel like choosing a bottle more randomly than consulting CT, the cellar is laid out in a very, very rough order - theoretically Bordeaux on the left and then moving clockwise through Loire red, Languedoc, Beaujolais, Rhone, Alsace, other white. There are only six bottles of Burgundy so they go wherever I tell them. Other red/ROW/bottles for which there’s no room in the right section yet go in the central pillar. Sacks of spuds go on top of that and crates of beer on the floor. Neither are logged on CT though.

Under Location I have Bond, Cellar and (still stuck in) France. I’ve then subdivided Bond into merchants (all two of them) and Cellar is split into 62 bins of 8-12 bottles and Box, which contains everything not yet in a bin (generally stuff for the long haul.)

If I feel like choosing a bottle more randomly than consulting CT, the cellar is laid out in a very, very rough order - theoretically Bordeaux on the left and then moving clockwise through Loire red, Languedoc, Beaujolais, Rhone, Alsace, other white. There are only six bottles of Burgundy so they go wherever I tell them. Other red/ROW/bottles for which there’s no room in the right section yet go in the central pillar. Sacks of spuds go on top of that and crates of beer on the floor. Neither are logged on CT though.

No Champagne?

Enjoyed watching the All Blacks earlier today. So opening a Gaja today (don't overthink it), before it goes missing again.
Not a serious one of course. Partly because I don't have any left. An entry level Langhe Sito Moresco 2015 will do very well.

Enjoyed watching the All Blacks earlier today. So opening a Gaja today (don't overthink it), before it goes missing again.
Not a serious one of course. Partly because I don't have any left. An entry level Langhe Sito Moresco 2015 will do very well.

You're toying with us now, couldn't we get the full
Panama papers.

A friend who has a wine cellar but no interest in drinking wine gave me a bottle of Gaja, 2004, I think. It was absolutely wonderful. He bought a couple dozen cases of great wine when his daughter was born. Hoping at some stage he'll feel the need to off load more bottles!

A friend who has a wine cellar but no interest in drinking wine gave me a bottle of Gaja, 2004, I think. It was absolutely wonderful. He bought a couple dozen cases of great wine when his daughter was born. Hoping at some stage he'll feel the need to off load more bottles!

Bit sad to have a wine cellar but no interest in wine. He should have kept them In Bond and could have sold them ('couple dozen cases' ?? How many bottles ?) for £thousands depending on which Gaja. Can you remember the name ?
Or at least let his daughter decide if she likes them !

Something a bit different tonight, 50:50 Cab Franc/Sauv from the Maremma Toscana. We stayed at the vineyard in 2011 and had a fabulous time. The hosts were/are the definition of genial - I remember we arrived around 7pm, to be greeted by them both with a “come on in, leave the car keys, we’ll have someone sort out the luggage, it’s time for a g&t on the terrace while the sun sets.” G&T led to dinner, with this wine, and we didn’t actually check in until the next morning. Life has conspired to stop us returning, my stocks of the wine seem to be doing well in the cellar. This is rich, fruity, with a slightly sharp edge that makes it go well with the jamón serrano, tortilla, manchego, and membrillo we shall be enjoying shortly.

B24579-D2-C59-B-4-CF0-9-AFD-AF77-A270-ECC2.jpg

51490264886_1ab01eb3ed_z.jpg

I’m sure I’ve posted this one before - a cheapo (5€-ish) bottle from the Daumas Gassac mob. Very drinkable and excellent VFM. But tonight the wine is really just an excuse to post - it’s a lovely still evening, I’ve had dinner outside without needing to add extra layers and the moon is now shining brightly. There won’t be many more nights like it this year, and if you are not outside enjoying it too you should be ashamed. So there.

Tonight’s musical accompaniment is King Bill’s Have a Little Faith.

Bit sad to have a wine cellar but no interest in wine. He should have kept them In Bond and could have sold them ('couple dozen cases' ?? How many bottles ?) for £thousands depending on which Gaja. Can you remember the name ?
Or at least let his daughter decide if she likes them !
Just had a look and it was a 1997 Gaja Costa Russi. He bought perhaps two dozen cases of whatever had top Parker points including, Latour and Krug.
I don't think his daughter has too much of an interest in wine.
Ahem, so as not to pay storage fees he's stored all his bottles under the floor boards!

Buying bottles that cost £200 each and then storing them under the floorboards to save £1 per bottle per year has to be the best example of a false economy I've heard of.
Not stolen by any chance were they ?

Buying bottles that cost £200 each and then storing them under the floorboards to save £1 per bottle per year has to be the best example of a false economy I've heard of.
Oddly enough that’s exactly how my original wine mentor (workmate when I was about 22) used to store his. He used to run tastings after hours at work for the wine club and sometimes during working hours (this being the BBC in the good old days) for a few close colleagues. When he retired I was asked what we should get him. I remember a bottle of Grange was included.

Bodegas Caro.Anyone tried the wines?
I see Waitrose has Petit Caro,but would rather wait
till a sale.
Rothschild &Catena what could go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back