advertisement

Who is brave enough to post a selfie?

MB, is that the nascent beard, or a curious shadow?

Carpet burn

;)

Bastards. Right, just because of that here’s another ugly mug shot. At lunchtime I told a friend that I was listening yet again to Vivian Stanshall’s Radio Flashes in the garden over the last few nights of summer. He said he hoped I knotted my beard beforehand in tribute to the Sir Henry album cover. With bravado fuelled by half a bottle of mediocre Malbec, I said I would do so tonight. Naturally he called my bluff and demanded photographic proof. So this is what I’ve just sent him. Hope you can see it too, Vivian - sent with appreciation, love and thanks. Trust you approve of the psychedelic waistcoat as well.

51434752080_788562aab8_z.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve found a school photo from early 1972, which would make me 15. Some serious hair going on here. That’s me in the middle.

51428027779_1d433f142c_z.jpg

This was during my first flush of gig-going, so given the year it is conceivable that the little cherub with the Lockhart locks had seen the likes of King Crimson or Captain Beefheart the night before. Possibly with my mate Paul Russell, seen on my right. I believe he became CEO of some company like Silentnight. That’s Duncan MacWilliam holding up his head behind me, and Paul Smith to his left. Rod Bushell is bottom right with the specs. He fancied himself as a guitarist and was heavily into Hawkwind. The real hairy front left is somebody Walton. Philip, I think.

Blimey, that was cathartic. For comparison here’s the same little herbert six months short of 50 years later on tonight’s walk, enjoying the evening sun and today’s ration of free fruit.

51426515172_821464bbf0_z.jpg

The bloke just in front of you to the right looks a bit like Paul McGann, and a bit like Gerry Reynolds who is in my sixth form picture. He played rugby for Ireland and was as hard as nails. I nearly got into a fight with him one lunchtime, but a teacher intervened, otherwise I probably wouldn't be alive today. In fact, quite a few of the blokes in your school photo look like blokes in my school photo. I must dig it out and scan it in.

"I don't know what I want, but I want it now!"

I always sensed that I was closer in spirit to Hubert - ‘in his middle sixties and still strange’ to paraphrase. Chirrup! Chirrup! Although ‘opsimath and eremite’ definitely apply IMHO.

The bloke just in front of you to the right looks a bit like Paul McGann, and a bit like Gerry Reynolds who is in my sixth form picture. He played rugby for Ireland and was as hard as nails. I nearly got into a fight with him one lunchtime, but a teacher intervened, otherwise I probably wouldn't be alive today. In fact, quite a few of the blokes in your school photo look like blokes in my school photo. I must dig it out and scan it in.
That is quite a coincidence. The guy in my photo was named (something Welsh beginning with G) Evans and was also a bit of a hard nut. We had an argument one lunchtime in the sixth form club and agreed to go outside to settle it. I realised I was going to get a pasting, so I looked him in the eye in what I hoped was an enigmatic way and asked if he really wanted to go through with this. Much to my surprise and relief he said ‘no, not really.’ We went round the corner out of sight and chatted for a few minutes (probably about what a dick Rod Bushell was), then went back to find everyone staring out of the window waiting to see how much blood had been shed. I don’t remember how we explained our (or rather my) lack of injuries.

It probably would have been a good lesson for life, if I’d been able to work out what it was.

I nearly got into a fight with him one lunchtime...

Mains cables make a difference? Silver internal amp wiring sounds better than copper?

Last edited:
(Fight)
Mains cables make a difference? Silver internal amp wiring sounds better than copper?
Nothing as interesting as that. In (I think) the fourth year, he barged into me and knocked me to the ground. I told him to watch where he was going. Shoves were exchanged, tempers flared, and fortunately a teacher arrived before we got beyond the ‘handbags’ stage.

Bastards. Right, just because of that here’s another ugly mug shot. At lunchtime I told a friend that I was listening yet again to Vivian Stanshall’s Radio Flashes in the garden over the last few nights of summer. He said he hoped I knotted my beard beforehand in tribute to the Sir Henry album cover. With bravado fuelled by half a bottle of mediocre Malbec, I said I would do so tonight. Naturally he called my bluff and demanded photographic proof. So this is what I’ve just sent him. Hope you can see it too, Vivian - sent with appreciation, love and thanks. Trust you approve of the psychedelic waistcoat as well.

you need to take the hat off to prove all that hair on your head has migrated down to your chin....think where it might get to in 10 years or so....

Is that a real knot or a hairy woggle? Try a Turk's Head next time

Is that a real knot or a hairy woggle? Try a Turk's Head next time
Turk’s Head: ‘start with 100cm of cord.’ I’m about 70cm short - try asking again in five years or so.

Hairy Woggle Live at the Turk’s Head is a fine album, though.

I don’t photograph well. I either look like a mass murderer or I have had a small stroke. That’s odd as I look quite handsome in a rear view mirror. I look hungover in a ‘supermarket’ toilet. It’s obviously all about lighting and the way a mirror is formed I guess…
I think it’s no accident I look better in the car mirror mentioned.

ou could be suspended from the ceiling or lying on your back

i was reclined

You must have some active Siamese if you have a ceiling height scratcher

we do - there is a bed at the top - and a cat route (across the top of the wall cupboards) to the other high level bed and pole. We have another ceiling height cat climbing wall elsewhere.

advertisement

Back