advertisement

Is HiFi getting better ? Or stagnating?

My current speakers are what would have been at the bottom of the MBL range, but the resultant brand (MC Audio) was unknown in UK, so I got good prices for both my sets when the distributer was destocking. Moved on from being a Shahinian fan (although they are still brilliant, if polarising, speakers).

Omnis, like the 'real' MBL's?

Is Hifi getting better, or stagnating?

It feels pretty healthy to me, some examples in my life time of listening to music.

Classic, quality products of yesteryear are still around in good original/refurbished condition at bargain prices.

Modern technology products, I’m thinking the likes of Dutch and Dutch speakers, Devialet, Roon, Spotify, modern DSP/room correction etc I feel are genuinely leading edge and very appealing. Combined with the traditional stalwarts still churning out original and new products (the likes of Linn, Naim, Kef, Tannoy and Rega spring to mind) it is all very good to see.

I also see very great strides have been made by the likes of Apple/Sonos/Bluesound who have brought access to high quality sound to millions (billions?) of people for not a lot of money, my iPad, playing Spotify (or Radio 2 :)) through standard cheap Apple earbuds is perfectly good enough to enjoy music. (Incidentally I was gobsmacked yesterday when my daughter and wife were talking over their latest gen IPhone’s over the built in speakers, the daughters voice was pretty lifelike, pretty amazing really).

So, overall it doesn’t feel to me that it’s a doomed industry, yes, it’s moved on and changed, but for people who like music to sound good then there’s still plenty of options and interesting products out there.

I’m currently listening to Laura Marling - ‘Sempa Femina’ though Innuos Zen Mini/LPS into ATC CDA2 into ATC40As, sounds utterly astonishing. Not exactly low end I grant you but far less at RRP than previous set up & is miles better in every way.

Hi-Fi has never been better & the ease with which you can get sound all over the house is another bonus.

I’m currently listening to Laura Marling - ‘Sempa Femina’ though Innuos Zen Mini/LPS into ATC CDA2 into ATC40As, sounds utterly astonishing. Not exactly low end I grant you but far less at RRP than previous set up & is miles better in every way.

Hi-Fi has never been better & the ease with which you can get sound all over the house is another bonus.

I forgot to add ATC into my list above!

(I’ve seen you a number of times extolling the greatness of your 40A’s, I want some :)).

Is Hifi getting better, or stagnating?

It feels pretty healthy to me, some examples in my life time of listening to music.

Classic, quality products of yesteryear are still around in good original/refurbished condition at bargain prices.

Modern technology products, I’m thinking the likes of Dutch and Dutch speakers, Devialet, Roon, Spotify, modern DSP/room correction etc I feel are genuinely leading edge and very appealing. Combined with the traditional stalwarts still churning out original and new products (the likes of Linn, Naim, Kef, Tannoy and Rega spring to mind) it is all very good to see.

I also see very great strides have been made by the likes of Apple/Sonos/Bluesound who have brought access to high quality sound to millions (billions?) of people for not a lot of money, my iPad, playing Spotify (or Radio 2 :)) through standard cheap Apple earbuds is perfectly good enough to enjoy music. (Incidentally I was gobsmacked yesterday when my daughter and wife were talking over their latest gen IPhone’s over the built in speakers, the daughters voice was pretty lifelike, pretty amazing really).

So, overall it doesn’t feel to me that it’s a doomed industry, yes, it’s moved on and changed, but for people who like music to sound good then there’s still plenty of options and interesting products out there.

That just abouts sums it up Phil nice one

Yeah, sorry, I am a bit of an ATC bore;)

Had a naim system for 20 years & still think they make good gear but the prices are very high now.

You’re not at all, you’ve got a great pair of ‘speakers and it’s good that you’re sharing your thoughts on them, great!

The late 1970s Yamaha C2a/M2 pre/power setup i have is a superb sounding pairing. Or at least it was until the preamp blew up, but I digress…

However, comparing them to the latest C-5000/M-5000 effort from the company would suggest that yes, technology has indeed moved on.

The late 1970s Yamaha C2a/M2 pre/power setup i have is a superb sounding pairing. Or at least it was until the preamp blew up, but I digress…

However, comparing them to the latest C-5000/M-5000 effort from the company would suggest that yes, technology has indeed moved on.

I have not heard the C/M 5000s, but i did hear the new AS3200, which I probably ranted on about in my opening post.
perhaps part of the problem is they respond to reviews in WHF etc, who gave a poor review of the as3000.
B+W hae changed their sound , when they used to be nice and bright, and now they are very dull.
So a lot depends on what they perceive to be in fashion.
The Top Marantz amp, their Pm10 , whilst very well detailed and spatial, is also extremely warm, with no treble at all, so annoying (for my personal taste). others may think it's wonderful!

Why? There is someone on PFM who had a family member who worked at WHF and he detailed how scrupulous they were about the reviewing process. I always look at their reviews.
They may be scrupulous but the reviews are woefully inaccurate at times and the quality of writing does vary somewhat. Good for flicking through but I’ve always taken their reviews with a pinch of salt.

Why? There is someone on PFM who had a family member who worked at WHF and he detailed how scrupulous they were about the reviewing process. I always look at their reviews.

No issue about scrupulous process at all Darren - just every time I bought something that they have recommended over the last 38 years, it reminded me that I really needed to trust my own ears.

For non hifi markets the man in the street just needs a Ipad/Phone +
( Kef LSX / LS50W / B&W Formation / Bluesound Node etc ) for a complete system

The problem is that most recordings are not good enough for the most expensive and advanced modern hifi replay.

Classical music recordings, at least, were made to sound effective on the best of the replay of their day.

Consequently most older recordings are more than just adequately replayed on the best of the replay from four, five or even six decades ago ...

I am not saying that the ESL 57 is the best speaker ever made, but rather that with replay things have only improved incrementally since the 1950s. This is not necessarily to the advantage of the listener, who now is faced with a more detailed replay of the faults inherent in the vast majority of recordings.

In certain fields, particularly classical music recordings, the technique and quality of recording has improved, if with some set-backs along the way as new technologies have been adopted. Some early digital recording are not so fine as late analogue recordings for example. By now digital techniques really are highly developed and may be thought of as mature, and never before has recording technique been as fine as now.

The best 1950s replay brings these modern recordings to life wonderfully, and the only way to perhaps get even more out would be to spend eye-watering amounts compared to the best classic replay.

What is certainly true is that lower cost, "mainstream" if you like, replay is certainly fine enough to bring to life to musical recordings nowadays. Sometimes it is as good as the best of the old school.

It is good enough. The problem with ultra-detailed high resolution replay is that the wider you open the window the more detritus flies in!

Just a thought, best wishes from George

No issue about scrupulous process at all Darren - just every time I bought something that they have recommended over the last 38 years, it reminded me that I really needed to trust my own ears.
I get that 100% I think they are useful for weeding out the odd duff item and helping to form a short list though

advertisement

Back