advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I have a black Elliot Brown Tyneham, and it's pretty bulletproof. In fact, I'll get it out of the cupboard now and give it a spin
I have the D07-L22 Tyneham, O16-L21 Bloxworth, 002-N01 Holton, 001-L06 Canford, and a discontinued Canford with gold numerals and hands on the black sunburst face, in a stainless case on black leather strap.

Back to the subject of servicing, has anyone used Watches of Switzerland for servicing? Would you recommend them? The 14060M is overdue; running more or less perfectly, but I want to keep it that way so maybe better getting it in for an oil change and new filter ;)

@JTC I’ve used them twice to send a Tudor back for repair (bought from them originally). They were thorough at the time of taking the watch in (first time in Regent St, second time at one of their Heathrow stores), communication was slow and poor after that until a complaint yielded a person to contact directly instead of through the general number. It was then smooth as silk. The work on the watch was done in Switzerland, so I can’t speak to workmanship of their technicians.

Reactions: JTC
I had a coupon to use up before its expiry date with our Amazon.com equivalent over here, Lazada.com.
I'd seen a bunch of reviews for a cheap watch that claimed the quality of the piece was far beyond the asking price, as it was quite attractive to my eyes I thought what the hell, give it whirl!

It arrived a couple of days ago and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised, no, gobsmacked at the apparent quality of it. Quartz of course but the finish is very good indeed, it even has a slighlty domed hardlex crystal. The only small giveaway to its price, externally, is the not quite perfect finish to the underside of the bracelet but I've seen similar on other branded low end watches.

Yertiz, 42.5mm which is the very largest I will wear.

3KE1uwc.jpg

I read an article on Smiths yesterday as you so often see them around. It sounds like there's a big difference in quality between the original Cheltenham factory movements and later stuff from Wales (and Switzerland and Japan!).

I have a few watches ranging in quality and mostly 'vintage'. Among which: a 1975 Omega 'Genève', which I get serviced locally. I don't wear this all the time. I wear either a 1960s Growa (defunct Swiss manufacturer) which only has 4 jewels, but runs perfectly with only irregular servicing, or a skeleton Rotary automatic. The latter less than the former because I find the watch is somewhat too large, as is the case with so many modern watches.
I also have an Olma 'Allmaster - Sea Cup' automatic which I wore regularly, but it needs servicing and I can't find someone to do it. It's a quality 25 jewel job and a muted, but quality design which I much prefer.

Other bits and pieces: a Junghans, which is actually a ladies' watch but about the same size as an older-style gents' watch. An old Velona 17 jewel model with a really nice metal bracelet.

I have a more expensive Jaeger LeCoultre which I have never worn. It was a gift in the past, but I find that it looks a bit gaudy.

Last edited:
Back to the subject of servicing, has anyone used Watches of Switzerland for servicing? Would you recommend them? The 14060M is overdue; running more or less perfectly, but I want to keep it that way so maybe better getting it in for an oil change and new filter ;)
Honestly, don’t bother. If it’s keeping good time there is no point. My Explorer is 20 years old and both a local AD and NAD said it’s really not worth it. There are many Rolexes out there well over 60/70 years old that have never been serviced. When you are ready to get it serviced you can go to Rolex directly in Bexley I believe.

I am tempted to sell mine and get the 36mm. I’ll make a tidy profit on the 39mm too! Prices are insane…

I see the new Explorer is 36mm. I reckon the 39mm version wears like a 40mm so a 36mm would probably be a better fit for me as well. I might pop into town tomorrow and see if there's any in Watches of Switzerland, Glasgow. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have any in stock and that I've no chance of buying one anyway, but it's worth a trip into town just in case. Fwiw, even if they have any in stock, I can't afford one on the spot, but at least I would know whether I'd want to buy one. Suffice to say, interesting discovery about the 36mm option!

I've been wearing my orig Seiko Orange Monster much more recently. It just makes me smile

It's also really rather nicely made, almost unbelievable for the comparatively modest price quite some years ago. 'Diver watches' that size aren't really my first choice, but it is very orange - while a lovely old Doxa, frankly, is way out of what I'd fancy paying for ..a watch.

oblig daft pic -7oz of 'lume':
IMG_8003%20Orange%20Monster_500px.jpg

Popped into WoS in Regent Street today. They had virtually no Rolex stock. Everything on display (with lots of empty cabinets) was display only. They weren’t even running waiting lists. Mad.

Honestly, don’t bother. If it’s keeping good time there is no point. My Explorer is 20 years old and both a local AD and NAD said it’s really not worth it. There are many Rolexes out there well over 60/70 years old that have never been serviced. When you are ready to get it serviced you can go to Rolex directly in Bexley I believe.

I got my DRSD serviced by Rolex a week or so after I got the watch I was lucky and even got the parts they replaced

advertisement

Back