advertisement

Why do you change cars?

Not really a crossroads. Even if you spend £1,500 you'll have a high quality car for years to come. Today you'd have to fork out £50,000 for something equivalent but probably not as well made. There is the additional advantage that nobody is going to steal it! So you don't have to mess about with incredibly complicated anti-theft gizmos or insurance. AND you'll have a dipstick and a spare tyre! And a seat that adjusts perfectly with a couple of mechanical levers rather than 25 electric motors and a "module."

NO, soon something else will break. But I'm with you on the rest.

I run them until they’re close to near death with b9g miles on them. Last 2 cars I’ve kept for 9 years and over 200k miles. I like to think I’m doing my bit for the environment this way.

Im not the most frequent of changers, had my last car for 23 years, only let it go because of the new ULEZ rules coming in force in October.
39762-ADF-838-D-4111-8-A06-DD38-F275813-A.jpg

7959-DD4-E-AD97-4-BE3-A7-C5-EF9227-FAB22-A.jpg

Best car I ever had, only broke down once in 23 years, coil pack fixed by the AA roadside.
A graduation gift from my late mother, courted my wife with it and brought both my new born children home from hospital in it, sad to let go.
Gave it away free to a car mad friend and sits in his collection along side a TVR, a V8 cobra and a Westfield; he uses it as his daily driver.

Not really a crossroads. Even if you spend £1,500 you'll have a high quality car for years to come. Today you'd have to fork out £50,000 for something equivalent but probably not as well made. There is the additional advantage that nobody is going to steal it! So you don't have to mess about with incredibly complicated anti-theft gizmos or insurance. AND you'll have a dipstick and a spare tyre! And a seat that adjusts perfectly with a couple of mechanical levers rather than 25 electric motors and a "module."
You make a good point
On the other side there is the possibility of something else expensive going and what else might be found when the look in the gearbox

Im not the most frequent of changers, had my last car for 23 years, only let it go because of the new ULEZ rules coming in force in October.
39762-ADF-838-D-4111-8-A06-DD38-F275813-A.jpg

7959-DD4-E-AD97-4-BE3-A7-C5-EF9227-FAB22-A.jpg

Best car I ever had, only broke down once in 23 years, coil pack fixed by the AA roadside.
A graduation gift from my late mother, courted my wife with it and brought both my new born children home from hospital in it, sad to let go.
Gave it away free to a car mad friend and sits in his collection along side a TVR, a V8 cobra and a Westfield; he uses it as his daily driver.

What a beauty! Crazy that you’re effectively forced to get rid of it.

London Mayor insists that nobody is being forced to get rid of their cars and that the cars are not banned, £12.50 a day charge is a choice…

If the charge was only Monday to Friday, I would have kept it

Used cars are super expensive at the moment. Have been browsing for a while, will probably end up with a newer 5 series at some point but the desirable models seem to have gone up by 15%!

Just read that car companies now have an "Odour Engineer" who designs the smell the new car has. So I suppose the luxury models smell of fine leather and Chanel No.5, the sports models of castor oil and petrol. It might be worth thinking about when trying to sell a used car, get to the potential buyer's subconscious through his/her nose.

I remember when half the market of second hand cars where a no-no as they had been smoked in. Maybe the used car dealer can reintroduce that as having 'Gentleman Club Atmosphere' ;)

London Mayor insists that nobody is being forced to get rid of their cars and that the cars are not banned, £12.50 a day charge is a choice…

If the charge was only Monday to Friday, I would have kept it

Of course, everything is a choice. Taxation will always be constructed to influence decisions. The fact is, it would cost £4.5K extra a year in tax to use that lovely Golf every day. London is the thin end of the wedge I fear.

advertisement

Back