advertisement

Older car styling

Yes, I agree, I love the simplicity of the 996. The 997 is arguably prettier, though. I'm not a great fan of the 991, I think it's too big, and a bit fussy, but the 996 is currently occupying a bit of a Goldilocks position in my wish list.

Porsche made 16,000 of the later 991 GT3's compared to only 4,500 of the 996 GT3's...

The GT markets getting a bit saturated...

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts as 'old' but the 996 Porsche is growing on me...even the front lights. Especially the GT3 (Which aren't actually insane money ATM).
Recent Porsche GT's have gone a bit mental IMO

Love the rear end stance on the old GT3...simple panel lines intersecting

dfdbe69c4af4481f8e195b172302a03f.jpg

Here's a newer rear end...different but not sure if it's better?
77adfc56de9143568bdcbd5c4e4610ea.jpg

Not really a proper production model, but the 993 GT2 Evo does it for me

Here's my TR4A, with a previous wife. Lovely old thing - overdrive gearbox, SAH tuned, big old four cylinder engine with wet liners. Didn't handle terribly well at speed...The wire wheels were a pig to clean; this was before a pressure washer was even a gleam in my eyeball.

ckQjnHN.jpg
I'm eyeing one of these up now with the Surrey top....any other insights for me?

I'm eyeing one of these up now with the Surrey top....any other insights for me?
I was talking to a nice gent at a local motor show last year who had an immaculate 4A. He told me that he'd converted his rear suspension, can't remember the exact details but it involved removing the existing, lousy, lever-arm shock absorbers & fitted standard-type shocks. He replied that it had improved the handling enormously, which doesn't surprise me - the standard semi-trailing setup is pretty naff. Those standard shocks very quickly wear out & become useless. Other than that, the engine, gearbox etc. are pretty bulletproof, & if the bores are worn it's relatively straightforward to fit new wet liners.

I was talking to a nice gent at a local motor show last year who had an immaculate 4A. He told me that he'd converted his rear suspension, can't remember the exact details but it involved removing the existing, lousy, lever-arm shock absorbers & fitted standard-type shocks. He replied that it had improved the handling enormously, which doesn't surprise me - the standard semi-trailing setup is pretty naff. Those standard shocks very quickly wear out & become useless. Other than that, the engine, gearbox etc. are pretty bulletproof, & if the bores are worn it's relatively straightforward to fit new wet liners.

Source spare engines from Ferguson Tractors.......

I had 2 Mexicos. I regret selling the Modena Green one and the Black one was stolen. The black one was genuine, not a respray and had the AVO Black badge in the engine compartment. Still crying about that. Both were utterly reliable and a pleasure to drive

Also had a Scimitar that was stolen and torched and then an Audi Quattro which was really special, should have kept that. Greed set in when I also put a Mk2 Golf GTI in for scrappage, what an idiot!!

FF

Fruit of Loin #2 is much enamoured of the Corvette C3, mostly in blue. Can’t say I disagree with her:

img_1370_16.jpg

331326454_1.jpg

advertisement

Back