advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. Respiratory diseases, heart conditions, stroke. Hypertension but less so. https://alama.org.uk/covid-19-medical-risk-assessment/

The Guardian's covering this today...

People with chronic conditions among most at risk from Covid even after jabs

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...among-most-at-risk-from-covid-even-after-jabs

Scanning through the BMJ paper it looks like a number of chronic conditions have been removed from the 'high risk' group:

The hazard ratios for QCovid2 were generally similar in magnitude and direction for the subset of variables included in our main model (QCovid3). However, some additional variables included in the QCovid2 model did not reach statistical significance or resulted in hazard ratios lower than 1.1, and hence were not included in the main QCovid3 model. These variables were type 1 diabetes, asthma, rare lung conditions, pulmonary fibrosis or pulmonary hypertension, congenital heart disease, cerebral palsy, inflammatory bowel disease, and severe mental illness (schizophrenia or bipolar disorder).

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2244

I'm guessing it means that people with these conditions won't be prioritised for a booster - which is absolutely right if their risk is lower.

As a person with type 1 diabetes I'm curious as to why type 2 diabetes is included but type 1 excluded (if I've understood correctly). Until now poor blood glucose control as been cited as being the main factor in worse outcomes after covid infection. It's the first time I've seen it suggested that being type 2 might be higher risk.

I still don’t quite understand how this impacts global production and supply. Pfizer etc can produce and sell their wares wherever they want. Given the nature and storage requirements of the vaccines that would very likely involve new factories, refrigeration plants and whole supply chains close to the point of delivery. The argument strikes me as being as fundamentally stupid/illogical as the “eat up your dinner, there are people starving in Africa” phrase I remember hearing back in the ‘70s and ‘80s. If we want to vaccinate the third world we need to start with the logistics, not an irrational argument that if we don’t take vaccines here others can have them in the 3rd world. I just don’t think that is how it works. We need to start with manufacturing capability, storage and supply chains.
This sounds a little blasé to me. It just doesn't seem likely that rich nations hoarding vaccines now, and offering the prospect of well ordered, easily accessible markets into the future, is not going to affect supply to poorer countries. I note that anyone with an international remit, such as WHO, is saying that it definitely is impacting on supply to poorer countries. Maybe they're being stupid/illogical, I don't know. But I think we're kidding ourselves if we think our actions on this aren't going to have consequences for other countries.

The new Green list vaccine rules for overseas jabs are odd, people in Malaysia have been getting several types, all WHO approved, but only the Western ones acceptable for the UK. People generally were not given a choice which one they got

The MHRA have announced that if you had the Astrazeneca vaccine first time round you will get it as a booster whereas if you had Pfizer you can have either AZ or Pfizer. This is as a result of trials undertaken to see which of mixing versus not mixing the vaccines had the most beneficial effect. There is no case where having one vaccine on top of the other has been found to cause a detrimental effect in the trials. These trials were being run many months ago.

Scanning through the BMJ paper it looks like a number of chronic conditions have been removed from the 'high risk' group:

The hazard ratios for QCovid2 were generally similar in magnitude and direction for the subset of variables included in our main model (QCovid3). However, some additional variables included in the QCovid2 model did not reach statistical significance or resulted in hazard ratios lower than 1.1, and hence were not included in the main QCovid3 model. These variables were type 1 diabetes, asthma, rare lung conditions, pulmonary fibrosis or pulmonary hypertension, congenital heart disease, cerebral palsy, inflammatory bowel disease, and severe mental illness (schizophrenia or bipolar disorder).

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2244

I'm guessing it means that people with these conditions won't be prioritised for a booster - which is absolutely right if their risk is lower.

As a person with type 1 diabetes I'm curious as to why type 2 diabetes is included but type 1 excluded (if I've understood correctly). Until now poor blood glucose control as been cited as being the main factor in worse outcomes after covid infection. It's the first time I've seen it suggested that being type 2 might be higher risk.

I have pulmonary fibrosis and am somewhat puzzled why it's been excluded. If covid 19 can cause more damage/scarring to already damaged lungs, seriously damaged/scarred with the risk of ensuing death in some cases, then I would have thought it easily qualifies for the high risk group.

I'm 70 years of age, along with pulmonary fibrosis I also have an autoimmune disease in the form of rheumatoid arthritis for which I take immune suppressing medication. If I don't qualify for a 3rd vaccine with a follow-up booster 6 months later then I'll be on the blower to my health board's vaccination team a bit rapid. Note I said a 3rd vaccine and not a booster, which I'd probably qualify for by age alone but would have to wait until 6 months after my 2nd dose of vaccine. I had my 2nd vaccine back in april so would have to wait at least another 4 weeks for a booster. If I qualify for the 3rd vaccine however, then I'll be vaccinated asap. I was informed of this after a recent phonecall to my health board's vaccination team. Prior to that I phoned my GP surgery who said they have nothing to do with covid vaccinations and referred me to my health board. Also phoned my rheumatoid arthritis helpline who surprised me by appearing to know less about the current situation than I did. I'm in Wales by the way.

edit, the vaccination team said my booster or 3rd vaccine would be pfizer even though my first two were AZ.

SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19 comics

http://phdcomics.com/comics.php?f=2047

CoV2_01.jpg

Leave it to a cartoonist to explain something this complex so clearly.

Joe

36 100 cases today (a big jump on last Monday (17%) so we're probably beginning to see school infections now), 49 deaths and 672, 540 and 560 admissions (18th).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back