advertisement

Rega P8 feet- removable?

Yes. Heavy enough.

The deck is resting on three identical feet. Assuming for argument sake that the weight of the platter is central (it actually isn't). At the back of the deck you have the motor, arm and the weight of the power cable and arm leads. So you have more weight on half of the feet.

Yes, that's enough to compress the rubber more. It takes a while but if the deck is a few years old, check it. Level the supporting surface. The platter will not be level.

Just checked my P9. The rear foot is indeed worn by roughly a couple of mm as is the left front by approximately half that.There appears to be no wear to the right front. The deck is nineteen this year.

Scratching my head slightly with the five inserts. I'm guessing you have the option of using three or four.

I deliberately put in five. My initial plan was to use just three but I was concerned that it would make levelling difficult. So it proved and I found it easier to level with four.

Just checked my P9. The rear foot is indeed worn by roughly a couple of mm as is the left front by approximately half that.There appears to be no wear to the right front.

Yes, the platter is the heaviest part of the whole thing and its weight is offset to the left. Using four feet would've helped or using stiffer rubber for the back foot. I put a washer between the back foot and the deck on my RP10.

Word of caution. The plinth on the RP8, RP10, P8, P10 and I think the 6 as well are all made of foam sandwiched between thin layers of plastic. The foam has little strength of its own and the plastic layers are very thin. The feet are screwed into aluminum inserts which I think are glued in. If you are harsh with the feet I reckon it would be relatively easy to pull the inserts out. I haven't herd of it happening but I would be careful when messing around with the feet on one of these decks.

Reactions: JTC
With three you know that it can't rock. With four feet you need to be very careful to level avoiding rock checking on both diagonals.

I've made an isolation platform from a Planar 1 black plinth I'd bought for another project and 3 Isonoe feet I had from an old Techie. I would go down the route of making an isolation platform with adjustable feet I got my Quadraspire wall shelf perfectly level but couldn't get the platter on the P8 level too until I added the platform.

Can anyone confirm that the RP-8/10 Rigid Foot mount are also compatible with P-8/10 Decks? ...Thanks.

rega-upgrade-foot-fachhaendler-tizoacryl-2.jpg

I’m interested in the wall bracket for the P10.

Can anyone who has this combo please confirm if a) it’s worth getting, and b) if the TT just sits on the sticky-uppy pegs, or if it comes with the little dishes that the old one used for the RP10. Doesn’t seem that secure if it gets a knock!

Also, is it idiot-proof? I struggle with DIY shelves etc!

Doesn’t seem that secure if it gets a knock!

I'm pretty sure all Rega decks use the same shelf with the three cups. Don't think they'd live very long without the cups.

I don't know why Rega persist with the three feet. In the configuration they use anyway. With three rubber feet the rear single foot has more than double the weight on it than the front feet and gets squashed over time so the deck no longer sits level on a level surface. They're also easy to tip up if accidentally lean on a back corner.

The skeletal ones obviously aren't as bad but it's still a worry. Personally, I wouldn't put a Rega deck on a Rega shelf for that reason. Any kind of knock is likely to land it on the floor.

If you're not good at DIY just get someone else to put it up. Unless you want your turntable to fall off the wall?

As I understand it the new type wall support comes in two sizes, larger footprint for Planar 1,2,3 & 6, smaller footprint for 8 & 10 with the deck simply sitting on top using the pegs as a guide (RP 8 & 10 fits on the larger but needs the aluminium saucers). The lift in performance is a no brainer imo (I have a P9 sitting atop the original steel model). Rega say the new model is laser cut from 2mm aluminium and is lighter and stronger than the original, it has two fixing screws compared to three on the original. Looks fairly simple to fit if you're ok with a level, drill and tape measure. Perhaps Rega should put something on YouTube.

As I understand it the new type wall support comes in two sizes, larger footprint for Planar 1,2,3 & 6, smaller footprint for 8 & 10 with the deck simply sitting on top using the pegs as a guide (RP 8 & 10 fits on the larger but needs the aluminium saucers). The lift in performance is a no brainer imo (I have a P9 sitting atop the original steel model). Rega say the new model is laser cut from 2mm aluminium and is lighter and stronger than the original, it has two fixing screws compared to three on the original. Looks fairly simple to fit if you're ok with a level, drill and tape measure. Perhaps Rega should put something on YouTube.

I have the Rega shelf for my P8. It makes a great improvement in sound quality. However in my opinion the fixing method to the wall is very poorly designed and Rega should have done much better. I would have gladly paid more for a better design. If you have a wall that is fairly true in all directions, which I do, then fixing should be OK. It is secured by two screws at the top. Depending on the state of the wall construction the likelihood of getting two holes absolutely level is minimal. When I say absolutely level I mean within a fraction of a millimetre. Although the preference is two have the holes precisely level it’s not going to matter too much as the two fixing screws are not a tight in their holes so there is a small amount of wobble allowing some left right adjustment. Trouble is the shelf now has to be held level by the tightness of the top two screws which cannot be tightened as much as you would like because of the risk of compressing the shelf frame. This does not give confidence that the shelf is going to stay where it is.
Now there is the problem of whether the shelf is leaning forward or sloping back. Mine was fractionally leaning forward which can be compensated for by the two bottom screws which push the bottom away from the wall, the concern here is that you have to balance this with the tightness of the top two fixing screws.
If the wall is leaning back you are out of luck and need get your own spacers for the top two screws.

I would have like to have Rega design some flat plates that screw to the wall, left and right, that the shelf fixes to giving precise adjustment in all directions. I don’t think Rega would ever demonstrate the installation of this shelf on YouTube as there would be more questions than answers.

If you buy A P8 or P10 my strong advice is to treat this as a complete, tuned, integrated unit and to avoid mods/changes/tweaks.
If you wan't to play, buy a parts-assembler turntable such as a Project and play away....
Level the shelf/platform on which the deck sits but leave the deck and feet alone.

They could have just used regular off the shelf rubber feet costing ten a penny, but haven't.
They are designed to avoid resonance taking account of what they are supporting, which is why they differ from other Rega feet in aspects of design.

Listen at 2.48:

They could have just used regular off the shelf rubber feet costing ten a penny, but haven't.
They are designed to avoid resonance taking account of what they are supporting, which is why they differ from other Rega feet in aspects of design.

The Rega feet thing is interesting. The same (rubber) feet seem to be standard throughout the range (1-10) with the 6,8 & 10 having a shiny outside ring added (for cosmetic purposes?). Still unanswered is whether the RP8/10 Rigid foot can be used on the P8/10? I'm guessing it can unless Rega have changed the size of the threaded insert but one would have to use the saucers if placing it on the (larger) new wall shelf (or straight on top of an old style steel one). One final thought, the Naiad uses an adjustable pointy spike (stainless) assembly in place of a conventional rubber foot :confused:.

The Rega feet thing is interesting. The same (rubber) feet seem to be standard throughout the range (1-10) with the 6,8 & 10 having a shiny outside ring added (for cosmetic purposes?). Still unanswered is whether the RP8/10 Rigid foot can be used on the P8/10? I'm guessing it can unless Rega have changed the size of the threaded insert but one would have to use the saucers if placing it on the (larger) new wall shelf (or straight on top of an old style steel one). One final thought, the Naiad uses an adjustable pointy spike (stainless) assembly in place of a conventional rubber foot :confused:.

Agreed, it's very similar on the turntables but different on the electronics.
In rigid coupling the deck with hard metal feet I guess you need the make the deck even more resistant to ringing. Resistance to resonance/ringing is all part of the low mass, stiff, controlled Q design and the better that gets the more directly you can couple the turntable to the platform.

If you buy A P8 or P10 my strong advice is to treat this as a complete, tuned, integrated unit and to avoid mods/changes/tweaks.

I'd kinda go along with this? I tried a lot of things on my RP10 to try and get it sounding more the way i wanted but everything made it sound worse. You lost the good things about the deck without gaining anything. If you don't like the sound of the stock turntable that Rega have built, buy something else.

If you wan't to play, buy a parts-assembler turntable such as a Project and play away....
Level the shelf/platform on which the deck sits but leave the deck and feet alone.MEDIA]

I agree 100% that Rega went thru much testing to settle on this foot and it would be near impossible to improve upon it, But... I have a P10 on a dedicated Audiotech stand and I have been going back and forth on this little A/B that I find interesting. Over the past few months I have been wondering why the Naiad has rigid speaker spike type feet -Ti I believe- and the P10 has this massive soft spongy rubber foot, now don't get me wrong, I love the way my P10 sounds but was wondering. So I dusted off a pair of old solid cone Aluminum TipToes -a little on the mass heavy side- and gently slipped them under the P10 right next to the still installed factory foot locations, held on place by simple gravity and the deck overall sits about 10mm higher than stock and I gave it a listen. ...Well that's the thing now, I go back and forth and listen because this isn't an improvement or not an improvement kind of thing, both have things I like and dislike. With the factory rubber feet I feel like the band is more in tune, they play together better -although ever so slightly; and with the TipToes I hear more detail, more fine information, better instrument placement and an overall tightening up of everything. I had two friends over, one that has been selling Linn/Naim gear all his life and in a quick bling A/B he thought the TipToes dem was better in every way and was shocked he picked the TipToes, also he had no idea what the piece of gear we were A/B'ing.

...Any way the P10 rubber feet are held in with a Phiillips head M6 screw, I easily unscrewed one the other day and the rubber foot pops right out of that shiny metal cup which stays attached to the bottom of the deck, it appears that the cup and screw insert is all one piece and glued to the bottom of the deck giving the whole assembly much purchase, the actual size of the rubber foot is 1.100" tall. The usable inside of the shiny remaining cup Dia. is 1.760, so if the RP8/10 Rigid mount kit is M6 than I see no reason why they would not work, but they look heavy. ... I think my next A/B will be attaching simple black low mass M6 Speaker spikes -similar to the Naiad spikes but slightly more mass- to the factory mount locations inside those shiny cups. leaving about 1.100" of the spike exposed and snugged up slightly with a nut from the bottom.

I'd kinda go along with this? I tried a lot of things on my RP10 to try and get it sounding more the way i wanted but everything made it sound worse. You lost the good things about the deck without gaining anything. If you don't like the sound of the stock turntable that Rega have built, buy something else.

Yes they are pretty well tuned and balanced as a whole entity.
Best way to fine tune the sonics is with the cart choice IME, and even here the Rega MCs seem suited in more ways than first appears.
For example, the 3 point cart fixing isn't just there to make a firm fixing (and set geometry) - it uses the cart body to brace the headshell platform at its weakest point :)

I’d certainly try the P8 with the metal Rega feet placed on a Symposium absorption platform. Works well with the metal feet on my LP12.

o6m7sps.jpg

advertisement

Back