advertisement

Gninnam's System

Today I changed the valves in the phone stage for some Siemens PC88 and a TeleFunken EC83
Plus, decided to go back to the Delrin black platter for a change:

[
IMG_20210904_154826.jpg
[
IMG_20210904_154802.jpg

Sounding pretty good so far!

A bit of a change tonight.
Replaced the Puresound A30 valve amp with my Burson Bang - looks so tiny but pulls no punches with SQ and heft!

IMG_20210906_202808.jpg

Bent the cantilever on my Denon DL103M this morning :(

IMG_20210925_092439.jpg

20210925_125139.jpg

Gutted :(

So, dug out one of my A&R P77 cartridges out and sounding pretty good :)

IMG_20210925_131141.jpg

I have gone with North West Analogue to repair the cart.
Going for one of his DHC cantilevers and a FGS (Fritz Geiger S) profiled diamond.
He reckons it should be a cracking cart once done - can't wait!

Nice kit. I have neither the space nor cash for such a collection.. but I do have an Orbe SE and can confirm that bass performance is excellent and overall 'rightness' sounds.. err.. right.

That Acrylic platter looks very nice. It sort of reminded me of the polished one on the old Oxford Crystal Reference.. Now.. if that acrylic could be polished up while maintaining its 'roundness' etc..it could be very pretty indeed.

IMG_20170312_174542.jpg.3c220a0615c5fc22423fdf4b66cf281a.jpg

I trawled this thread today because of your (unique?) mention of a ladder DAC top hat for the Pi on here( in another thread) You say it’s the best you have heard. Did you try many others? I’m a bit of a fan as they can be tucked out of sight so easily to bypass the box count and sound so good. I’ve a few but the £22 JustBoom on a pi2 I’m listening to right now isn’t embarrassed by it’s more expensive cousins TBH.

I trawled this thread today because of your (unique?) mention of a ladder DAC top hat for the Pi on here( in another thread) You say it’s the best you have heard. Did you try many others?
When I said 'best I have heard', I mean't best digital replay I have heard.
Listened to a good number of digital play back systems (CDP, DCT plus DAC and streamers) and I would rate the one in the PI as equal to many of these 'top flight' units that I have heard.
Regarding other ladder DAC's, I am not aware I have listened to another one to be honest but one could have been in one of the DAC's I had heard. Let me check and I will get back.

How do you decide which turntable rig to use? Do they suit different kinds of music? Or is it just whim?

Digital replay was taken as read of course. My digital system is totally separate from my analogue system. The former I enjoy through headphones, the latter through speakers. I happy to keep it that way. They are in separate rooms and are different experiences.

How do you decide which turntable rig to use? Do they suit different kinds of music? Or is it just whim?

I’ve just added an arm that is known to be tricky to a perfectly good vinyl setup. You shouldn’t need to ask :)

advertisement

Back