advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Some good friends of ours are in the throes of moving house so have been undertaking a clear-out. They didn't want this photo gear so asked if I would like it, as a gift. Couldn't say no!

The AX-1 isn't in the best of health, the light seals have all turned to goo and the shutter will only fire when using the self timer. Will make a very nice ornament though. The XG-M appears pretty flawless so I've just got the light seals to do on that - a fiddly, but easy enough job when you take your time.

The glass is all nigh on spotless - the 50-1.7 Rokkor is a lovely lens anyway, the B&H 28-2.8 doesn't seem much to get excited over but the 135-2.8 is a super little thing and will come in useful on my Fuji bodies I'm sure.

Haven't tried the Vivitar 80-200.

Kit by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

MD Rokkor by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

The AX-1 isn't in the best of health, the light seals have all turned to goo and the shutter will only fire when using the self timer. Will make a very nice ornament though.

The Fujica STX-1N was my first camera, broke it in 1992. but managed to buy a minter a few years ago with 50mm lens, since then added 2 x STX2, a couple more 50mm lenses plus 28mm and 35mm to the collection. A camera system best described in the words of the Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy as "Mostly Harmless" - they are ok, never going to set the world on fire, shutters are quite loud though!

Scrub that - just got an ‘out of stock’ email on the Benro tripod. Thought it looked too good a deal.:rolleyes:

To compensate I ordered one of these grips this afternoon.

LB-DPXM-Quick-Release-L-Plate-L-Bracket-for-Sigma-DPXM-DP1M-DP2M-DP3M-Arca-Sunwayfoto.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Last edited:
That's nice bit of 500 kit there. Do track down a proper strap if you haven't got one, as they clip in really nicely and make the camera really easy to carry. I see you've got a spare set of darkslides, which means you've got plenty to sit on and bend at some point :)

The new fold down waist level finders work much better than the older one I see you've also got, but the old one makes a really satisfying 'swish' noise when it pops up.

Oh, and do check for light leaks and uneven spacing on your two backs before getting too into it. You might find one of them is a little temperamental, and since you've got two by the looks of it, making sure you know which one has the problem can be a challenge. They do seem to be still repairable.

BTW, what's the grey cone/tube thingy - I don't recognise it.

That's nice bit of 500 kit there. Do track down a proper strap if you haven't got one, as they clip in really nicely and make the camera really easy to carry.

Oh, and do check for light leaks and uneven spacing on your two backs before getting too into it. You might find one of them is a little temperamental, and since you've got two by the looks of it, making sure you know which one has the problem can be a challenge. They do seem to be still repairable.

I had one of my A12 backs serviced by Classic V last year and it now works perfectly - cost around 80 quid for a full strip-down, re-lube and new seals.

Agreed re the strap, was lucky my 500CM came with its original, and the clips are just so nicely engineered.

Nice looking C220 there! The blue dot lenses are considered to be better than the older gen, not sure how much truth there is in it, but you've got one of those so that's good.

Nice looking C220 there! The blue dot lenses are considered to be better than the older gen, not sure how much truth there is in it, but you've got one of those so that's good.

Thanks, this was a cheapie from ffordes. Everything seems to work. I thought there was a bit of haze in the lens but fortunately you can easily unscrew the front and rear lens groups and clean the glass facing the shutter. I did that and the lens looks nice and clear now.

The weight is not as bad as I was expecting, but it is one big beast. I still want a Rolleiflex one day but the price for these seems to be going crazy.

Thanks, this was a cheapie from ffordes. Everything seems to work. I thought there was a bit of haze in the lens but fortunately you can easily unscrew the front and rear lens groups and clean the glass facing the shutter. I did that and the lens looks nice and clear now.

The weight is not as bad as I was expecting, but it is one big beast. I still want a Rolleiflex one day but the price for these seems to be going crazy.

I think the C220 is the lightest of those cameras, but I agree, the weight isn't bad, but from my experience of going out and about with a C3 over my shoulder, for whatever reason, it manages to jab you in the side or leg at some point. It's a very pointy beast!

I can also recommend the 65/3.5 lens if you want something wider. My copy is excellent, and the extra width is just about right for street photography.

Just bought a canon 28mm Ef lens for my eos1-d looked through lots of second hand lens sites non came with a lens hood, don’t canon supply them? Or do canon users not use them, I suppose that’s better than walking around with them on backwards.

Pete

Just bought a canon 28mm Ef lens for my eos1-d looked through lots of second hand lens sites non came with a lens hood, don’t canon supply them? Or do canon users not use them, I suppose that’s better than walking around with them on backwards.

Pete

Canon (generally) only supply hoods with L series glass, anything else its available as an optional extra!!! Plenty of equivalents on eBay - just find the Canon part number and search away!

Pete
From memory, the cheaper lenses don't ship with a hood. L lenses that I have owned always had one.

Edit, just seen the same reply from Mr P

advertisement

Back