advertisement

wigwam show [ kegworth ] is off

Wigwam, dunno, posted there a couple of times a year or so back, lost/forgot password. They always seemed to be kicking the shit out of each other over who 'owned' the site/show/whatever. At least with pfm there's only TonyL to argue with himself.

the owners thread site is quite good , some valuable stuff and easy to find on proac or arcam or pass etc

I have contacted Roo regards a refund after the 2020 bake off was cancelled i had paid for both a overnight room and trade stand total £385 having seen Roo's statement that anyone unable to attend the 2022 show a full credit would be issued this due to my health, but having emailed early last week and yet no reply i'm just wondering how genuine the offer of refunds was !! and was hoping his communication skills are better than Peter Sowerby (the last Hi Fi Wigwam owner)

I have contacted Roo regards a refund after the 2020 bake off was cancelled i had paid for both a overnight room and trade stand total £385 having seen Roo's statement that anyone unable to attend the 2022 show a full credit would be issued this due to my health, but having emailed early last week and yet no reply i'm just wondering how genuine the offer of refunds was !! and was hoping his communication skills are better than Peter Sowerby (the last Hi Fi Wigwam owner)

I guess we'll find out soon enough?

He refunded me less than 24 hours from my initial request. That was last week.

The loose cannons all went elsewhere. I suggest we leave them there… ;)

Not loose cannons at all; they just don't take themselves or the hobby (because that's what it is) too seriously.
IME, the Abattoir is actually the most sociable / friendly of any of the hi-fi forums.
Just as with PFM, AoS and the Wam, it suits some and not others.

Last edited:
I never really spent much time on there but just went through 30 or so pages of system pics.

Does anyone there have systems below $10k?

Then maybe post about your system to restore the balance and encourage others to post about their systems in your price bracket.

Not really. It doesn't appeal much on first look (after some years of hiatus). Two forums I participate in are enough. Shame about the show though, it seemed to appeal to quite a few.

When I used to post there, istr that there was always a bit of appreciation for a well put together budget system amongst all the high end stuff. Anyway $10k is a significant amount for sure, but there’s probably a few people on here who have single components, or even cartridges, that cost more than that.

It'd take a very confident person to display a Hyundai at a show full of Astons and Ferraris.

Not back in the days when it was still an all-enthusiast show - when James, Danny, Lionel, Nigel, &c were still running things - indeed, the budget systems were sometimes among the best sounding, and the 'hypercar' tier stuff occasionally the worst. I even heard an early-Naim + Linn Kans system sound surprising excellent in a poky little broom-cupboard-sized room.

iirc you didn't actually go to the shows did you, John...?

Not back in the days when it was still an all-enthusiast show - when James, Danny, Lionel, Nigel, &c were still running things - indeed, the budget systems were sometimes among the best sounding, and the 'hypercar' tier stuff occasionally the worst. I even heard an early-Naim + Linn Kans system sound surprising excellent in a poky little broom-cupboard-sized room.

iirc you didn't actually go to the shows did you, John...?
hohohoho.
never ever...full of multi million systems and pate de fois gras sandwiches my dear. not my taste at all.

advertisement

Back