advertisement

Arcam SA20 Class A operation

Here's a bit more from the white paper about the a49. Arcams first class g stereo amp:

In a normal class AB amplifier there is an optimum bias current which minimises but does not eliminate variations in output
impedance with output current. It is these small but relatively sharp changes which occur at low levels near the crossover point,
between the NPN and PNP output transistors, which cause the insidious and audibly unpleasant phenomenon of crossover dis-
tortion. The brute force way to eliminate this is to run the output stages in class A, which requires a very high standing current of
several amps. This makes the output impedance virtually constant for output currents up to twice the chosen standing current but
dissipates huge amounts of power at all times; this is very inefficient, requires huge amounts of heatsinking and is definitely not
green! The A49’s output stage includes a proprietary error correction circuit that modulates the modest standing currents in the
output stage and ensures a near-constant output impedance for peak currents of up to about +/- 4 amps, corresponding to well over
50W in to 8 ohms. The A49 thus behaves exactly like a classical class A amplifier up to this power level in terms of performance
but without the heat penalty.

Detail here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.arcam.co.uk/ugc/tor/p49/Technical%20Notes/The_technologies_behind_the_A49_101014_A.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjRyZT1wrbyAhVPhVwKHeYGB2YQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2GacpcvhnUu4D1z13kVOvq

Sounds a bit like the class AA of Technics and non-switching amps of Pioneer from the 80s.

'The SA30's Class G amplification is conservatively rated at 2x120W/8ohm. Class G technology, first used by the company in its AVR600 home cinema receiver [HFN Jul '09], aims to improve power efficiency over Class AB designs, aping the low consumption of Class D without introducing the latter's 'engineering foibles'. Whereas the output transistors of Class D technologies are fully on or off, Class G employs a conventional output stage fed from two (or more) power supplies, the secondary ones held in reserve according to signal demand, switching in once the audio output rises above a certain level. At low levels it operates in an enriched o_O Class AB mode.'

https://www.hifinews.com/content/arcam-sa30-network-attached-amp

Having lived with the amplifier for a few weeks I can only recommend it. Sounds very nice indeed.

Bought an SA20 years ago and was never impressed. The first one had to go back due to a very loud hum and the second one, whilst cosiderably quieter still had a slight hum. I gave up on it after a couple of years but recently got it out of retirement as I had a use for it, but time hadn't been kind and it was doing all sorts of strange things. I don't really want to waste money seeing if it can be repaired, so it's loaded into my car along with lots of other junk, for an 11 oclock appointment at the local tip. It did sound quite nice when it was going though.

Having lived with the amplifier for a few weeks I can only recommend it. Sounds very nice indeed.

I want to buy it for my mum to replace an old av recevier ,as she use only stereo now (Dynaudio x14) for TV, CD, stream.

Is is easy to use?
Does sa30, turn itself on when connected to TV via HDMI?

My last amp was an Arcam A39. Also 120W class G and running class A for first watts.

Interestingly the A39 never really got hot at all. Whereas my Sugden A21 Signature I have now get toasty-warm.

The Arcam sounded great though. I do rate their kit. However, IME their class G have been prone to issues. My pre-pre amp, an A29 went back twice to Arcam with faulty rails for a repair.

Last edited:
My last amp was an Arcam A39. Also 120W class G and running class A for first watts.

Interestingly the A39 never really got hot at all. Whereas my Sugden A21 Signature I have now get toasty-warm.

The Arcam sounded great though. I do rate their kit. However, their class G have been prone to issues. My pre-pre amp, an A29 went back twice to Arcam with faulty rails for a repair.

I might reconsider than. Are there the same issues with newer SA series?

Bought an SA20 years ago and was never impressed. The first one had to go back due to a very loud hum and the second one, whilst cosiderably quieter still had a slight hum. I gave up on it after a couple of years but recently got it out of retirement as I had a use for it, but time hadn't been kind and it was doing all sorts of strange things. I don't really want to waste money seeing if it can be repaired, so it's loaded into my car along with lots of other junk, for an 11 oclock appointment at the local tip. It did sound quite nice when it was going though.

Junk eh :)

Each to their own ...

What a waste and what an affront to the idea of recycling and reusing! Yes it could have been fixed and no doubt quite easily. far better to have given it to someone who either will pay to have it repaired or whom has the ability to repair it themselves than to add what was no doubt a perfectly usable unit (after the replacement of a a few parts costing just a few quid) to landfill.

A quick point that usually seems to be misunderstood by many.... Watts in class A does not double/increase with lower speaker impedance!
IE, assuming no losses etc, a 20WPC into 8R class A amp may well give 40W into 4R but only 10W will then be in class A. It could indeed be designed to also give its max power into 4R in class A but it would mean that it would need to run twice as hot as it needs to when working into 8R, also of course with much bigger heatsinks, bigger mains transformer etc etc at far greater price.

I might reconsider than. Are there the same issues with newer SA series?
I couldn't comment I'm afraid. Of the A29/A39/A49 series the A29 has well documented issues with rails affecting sound and there are streams online that can be read about this. The A39 and A49 did not suffer from these as far as I know. Certainly my A39 had no probs.

I'd have no hesitation getting another Arcam.

As to whether they deliver the first few watts in true class A though. I'm unconvinced....

I couldn't comment I'm afraid. Of the A29/A39/A49 series the A29 has well documented issues with rails affecting sound and there are streams online that can be read about this. The A39 and A49 did not suffer from these as far as I know. Certainly my A39 had no probs.

I'd have no hesitation getting another Arcam.

As to whether they deliver the first few watts in true class A though. I'm unconvinced....

Thanks. I think easy of use will be also the key, hence probably naim atom will be better.

advertisement

Back