advertisement

Alternative speaker cable to Naim NAC A5

Just gave K20 a quick Google and a helpful website suggested that I might also be interested in a 9M pair of Naim SuperLumina speaker cables for the reasonable sum of $10,990.
Inductance is 0.74x that of A5 so you'd be needing 4.73m minimum to match that of 3.5m A5. Probably best to round off to 5m at £3,395 for a factory terminated pair. :D

Based upon AudioT's offerings, Naim do factory terminated lengths in 3m, 4m, 5m, 6m, 7m, and 9m (other lengths to order) with roughly 700 quid between the steps, double that between 7m and 9m!

It would be interesting to know what minimum length New Naim consider as appropriate for use with classic Naim amps. I haven't had a look in at the Naim forum for quite some time, however, I can just imagine the cost benefit analysis discussions wrt upgrading to 5m of Super Lumina for one's olive NAP140 vs. a recap and standing pat with A5. :rolleyes:

If you want cheap definetly check out old Exposure Electronics cable. I thought it better than Nac a5 between Nap 135s and Neat 3is.
And oddly I preferred nac a5 with a Densen b330 power amp and the same Neats. Weird.
I think comparing cables is fraught and will drive you potty

I moved from NACA5 to some Sommer 2x4mm cable and it's been excellent. It's very flexible, sounds great, and easy to terminate, this sort of stuff:

https://www.studiospares.com/sommer-meridian-24mm-grey-speaker-cable-per-m_546410.htm

An important part for me was the flexibility, as i wheel my speakers around as they sit in the middle of the room, and I take advantage of casters to push them around, so the cables are moving all the time. I was finding that NACA5 had a way of popping out of the connectors on the bottom of my Shahinians which was a pain as they aren't that accessible.

It was moving to Shahinian speakers that made me move away from NACA5 too. Until then I had no problem with its stiffness, I found it easy to just bend it into shape knowing that it would stay put.
I now use Chord cable which has the required flexibility (although I find Naim’s right angled plugs a good match for the Shahinian sockets.) The various alternatives that have a similar construction to NACA5 with a wide web separating the consuctors may be more flexible in one dimension, but they are still stiff in the other, so I would not choose A4, LK20, Tellurium Q etc either, even though the conductors are kept apart for good reason.

It was moving to Shahinian speakers that made me move away from NACA5 too. Until then I had no problem with its stiffness, I found it easy to just bend it into shape knowing that it would stay put.
I now use Chord cable which has the required flexibility (although I find Naim’s right angled plugs a good match for the Shahinian sockets.) The various alternatives that have a similar construction to NACA5 with a wide web separating the consuctors may be more flexible in one dimension, but they are still stiff in the other, so I would not choose A4, LK20, Tellurium Q etc either, even though the conductors are kept apart for good reason.
Yes, one nice thing about twisted twin-axial 'pro style' 'speaker cables in a round outer jacket is that they are equally flexible in all directions about the cross-sectional axis.

The ironic thing about NACA5 is that the 4mm sockets most likely to break are Naim's own board mounted Deltron ones. Over the years, I had two used NAITs on home loan from the dealers that had to have a 'speaker socket re-soldered before I could even try them out. With the original NAIT solder tracks, in particular, this can be a tricky job.

I nev
Yes, one nice thing about twisted twin-axial 'pro style' 'speaker cables in a round outer jacket is that they are equally flexible in all directions about the cross-sectional axis.

The ironic thing about NACA5 is that the 4mm sockets most likely to break are Naim's own board mounted Deltron ones. Over the years, I had two used NAITs on home loan from the dealers that had to have a 'speaker socket re-soldered before I could even try them out. With the original NAIT solder tracks, in particular, this can be a tricky job.
I never had a problem with Naim plugs and sockets, but I can see how the stiff cables might put undue strain on them if moved around.

advertisement

Back