advertisement

An Eureka Moment!

Which would you choose? The diamonds?
Getting back on topic (i.e. having finished the hoovering using a Kenmore vacuum here), when mentioning Wharfedale Diamonds, one really must state which version, as, according to the Googles, they are currently at 12.1.

Personally, having heard ProAc Tablettes many years ago, by comparison, Diamonds of that vintage were crude but fun to listen to. Diamonds appear to have been refined no end since, but perhaps with some of that fun having been sifted out, I don't know.

Google says that Tablettes are at version 10 now, so what is actually being compared to what?

It's only 'an' if the initial 'h' is silent, which is the case with 'honour', but not the case with 'horrific' or 'hotel'

It appears that 'an' is the indefinite article used before a vowel sound. For me, that nails it, as the vowel sound can arise from a combination of nouns or adjectives; silent aitches, abbreviations, whatever, incl. 'hotel' and 'horrific' if pronounced that way in specific contexts. It stretches credibility, I suppose, if used in a dropping aitches situation, but still applies regardless, I guess.

It appears that 'an' is the indefinite article used before a vowel sound. For me, that nails it, as the vowel sound can arise from a combination of nouns or adjectives; silent aitches, abbreviations, whatever, incl. 'hotel' and 'horrific' if pronounced that way in specific contexts. It stretches credibility, I suppose, if used in a dropping aitches situation, but still applies regardless, I guess.
I risked a late evening grocery store visit yesterday and there were more than a few 'indefinite articles' wandering about.

Getting back on topic (i.e. having finished the hoovering using a Kenmore vacuum here), when mentioning Wharfedale Diamonds, one really must state which version, as, according to the Googles, they are currently at 12.1.

Personally, having heard ProAc Tablettes many years ago, by comparison, Diamonds of that vintage were crude but fun to listen to. Diamonds appear to have been refined no end since, but perhaps with some of that fun having been sifted out, I don't know.

Google says that Tablettes are at version 10 now, so what is actually being compared to what?
I think it's a pipe dream..cheapish speakers over reaching themselves! I have a few pairs of cheapish speakers and try as I might...they fall at the first or second hurdle..my dynaudios are ok but my AE1 mk3s just get better with better equipment..I think you get what you pay for in speakers..I hoovered up some spiders earlier with my cordless Dyson.. and even though I hate it..its pretty good..in the good old days you could get a cylinder hoover that could suck and blow too! My Dyson is good for half hour or so..then needs bloody four hours charging...lol

It appears that 'an' is the indefinite article used before a vowel sound. For me, that nails it, as the vowel sound can arise from a combination of nouns or adjectives; silent aitches, abbreviations, whatever, incl. 'hotel' and 'horrific' if pronounced that way in specific contexts.

The only way 'hotel' and 'horrific' are pronounced with a silent 'h' is if the speaker is pronouncing the words incorrectly. There are no contexts in which they can be correctly pronounced in English with a silent 'h'.

The only way 'hotel' and 'horrific' are pronounced with a silent 'h' is if the speaker is pronouncing the words incorrectly. There are no contexts in which they can be correctly pronounced in English with a silent 'h'.

Joe, my dictionary, in its usage of 'an', defines the silent aitch as in hotel and historical etc. as still used by many older speakers as a legacy from much more widespread use of the dropped aitch in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries. Whereas both are acceptable pron., the modern form is now the norm. I guess I would be defined as an older speaker (unfortunately), not that I tend to drop my aitches, though.

Not sure where 'horrific' fits in this, though I've frequently heard 'an (h)orrific.... ' used. A case of moot point and changing patterns of speech, I suppose.

advertisement

Back