advertisement

Horrendous crimes and musicians.

Speaking out like this is not necessarily about seeking justice in the legal sense, says Cunningham, but having a voice - and trying to instigate change. "Although we are focusing on a certain era in this film, the music industry is still functioning in a very, very similar way," she says. "I spoke to so many music industry insiders who made it quite clear that nothing has changed.
Cunningham says there were many men who worked behind the scenes who did not want to take part in the documentary. "I think that's important thing to say," she says. "That silence, I think, speaks volumes. So although we're in a time that we've been ready for these women to speak and they feel like they have the power to speak, there are lots of men who don't want to speak out in support of these women for fear of the repercussions in the industry."

Representatives for Tyler and Rose did not respond to requests to comment or be featured in the documentary by the filmmakers, says Cunningham. Nor did they respond to requests for comment from Sky News.

Cunningham says she likes to think there might come a time when musicians, or any public faces, who behaved in a certain way when it was normalised years ago, want to acknowledge mistakes and help bring about change.

"Wouldn't you want to speak out and support these women?" she says. "Yes, accusations are being made about you, but maybe speaking out can actually, not redeem you because obviously all of these things have happened, but wouldn't it be incredible if a rock star came forward and said 'I did some really bad things and I know I hurt people and I want to campaign for change in support of these women?' I think that would be incredible. But I think silence is just an example of what many people have been doing for years. As I said, there were so many people I approached to be in this film who are prominent men within the music industry, offering them the opportunity to speak out in support of women, about a time that they were part of, and so many people didn't want to do that. And I think that silence speaks volumes, doesn't it?"

https://news.sky.com/story/steven-t...-and-the-abuse-hidden-in-plain-sight-12403960

Totally agree with all this however, politics in the UK makes the music business look like a tea party and here we are again, going after the obvious and low hanging fruit whilst ignoring the problem stems from the legislative. Boris Johnson's mother has just died, did you see anything in the media about the abuse she suffered at the hands of Johnson's father?

Personally, nothing an artist does in their personal life will stop me seeking out their art, it is only by experiencing it again that I will know how I feel about it given the extra knowledge about them I now have. An interesting piece of work awaits for people into auteur theory. I still listen to early Ted Nugent and recordings by the King's Consort.

But the guy I have real difficulty isn't a musician. Louis CK. Guilty of sleazy behaviour, but his work is SO good, it's keeps calling me back. Much of it feels different now but is still compelling.

Personally, nothing an artist does in their personal life will stop me seeking out their art

How we as a society respond to abusers who are artists is certainly inconsistent. We know Eric Gill repeatedly sexually abused his young daughters (not to mention ****ing the family dog) yet his behaviour is simply termed 'problematic' or 'difficult' and there's lots of hand-wringing over how to display his work.

He was an incredible artist but when I see his work all I think of is the abuse he inflicted on his family. It no longer brings me any joy - that's been destroyed.

advertisement

Back