advertisement

Amp after exposure super xv

hardwired91

pfm Member
Hi all I recently had an exposure super xv amp but sold it on, what amps do people recommend secondhand upto about £450 ? Is there any that will be similar performance?, I know the farlowe era exposure has alot of fans but I'm just looking to try something different

Why did you move the Exposure on - were you unhappy with the performance in any way? I ask as for that sort of money the Exposure is a strong performer.

I must admit to have never listened to a XVsuper, I'm told it is quite superior to the standard XV which I was very disappointed in.
Claymores (issue 6 pref.) can still be found at reasonable dosh but will most likely need a good service. Fortunately a service/update/supercharge is still available from @CJ14 (Colin), it's designer.
There were whispers of upgrade kits for DIYing said service but I'll leave that for Colin to clarify/confirm/deny.

I used an Exposure Super XV MC exclusively for about 15 years. It's a great sounding integrated amp with an extraordinarily good phono stage. Not faultless, though. It's noisier than some amps, has very primitive mains noise filtering and clips nastily when pushed.

For £450, my suggestion would to push the budget by £50 and get a well sorted Quad 34 pre amp and a Quad 520/521 pro series stereo power amplifier (or a 606 if you can stretch another £100 or so).

After going mental with complex and expensive Linn Aktiv setups to unnsuccessfully get something that made music sound nicer than the Exposure, I took a punt on a 520 (Around £250) and, subsequently, a QSP (£500 or so S/H) and a very late 34 (About £250).

In terms of power, refinement and flexibility, I can't think of anything S/H to match a 34/520 combo at the same price - faultless hardware with no foibles that I've been able to detect. A 520 will drive most speakers to ear bleeding levels without difficulty, cliping or distortion. The 34 phono sections are very good and it even has tone and balance controls for in-room correction - which I missed more than I had realised.

Budget for adapters or cables, as, being pro amps, the 520 series uses XLRs for inputs and speakers. Also find a 34 with an Orange Quad logo, as these are the very last made and will be properly optimised for modern, higher gain, line level sources.

Last edited:
The Rega IO performance is nowhere near the Exposure Super XV.
I'm an happy owner of an Exposure 21/4 dual mono unregulated combo so I know what you mean.
Nevertheless, the IO seems to me the best value on the market at the moment so I recommend people to give it a try as this might be good enough for many fellows.
Personally though, I would for sure keep the XV and get it repaired if needed.

The Rega IO performance is nowhere near the Exposure Super XV.

Farlowe Exposure's were among my favorite for decades.
Now I would think they are in need for a service, all being from the 90'ies.

No doubt they were extra ordinary, but I don't recall them beeing quite as involving and coherent as current Rega amps.

I’ve used my 15 with Quads, ATC’s and Tannoy’s and never thought it lacked enough power.

I owned my my Super XV from new and used it with ESL 63's, Harbeth PSESRs, Tiangle Titus TZX, Ruark Sceptres, Mission 753's, Kans (1979 & 1986), Spendor SP2's, Rega Elas and probably some others. Worked brilliantly with all of them. I'd have liked to try it with my recent passion, Kef Reference series monitors from 70-95 or so.

It was best in a big room with the ESLs and in the near field with the Harbeths.

I finally got rid of it as we had a major problem with mains born noise that Sony, Quad & Linn amps were impervious to and would probably still have it were it not for that.

TBH, apart from the controls for in-room correction and potential for bone crushing SPL's, the sonic differences between the Super XV and a big Quad pre/power ar probably marginal. They both sound bloody superb. All might require a sevice, by now, though. And I think the Quad kit is superbly designed - even the rack mounted pro amps.

advertisement

Back