advertisement

Car mistakes?

You forget how bad the brakes on older production car actually were...the brakes on my S2 were really bad.

I used to frequently fade the brakes when making progress on windy roads (from leaving the A7 at Langholm the heading up the B709 past Langholm then over to St. Mary's loch and then up the Talla/Megget reservoir to approach Edinburgh from the West being a favourite. Some cards didn't make it to Eskdalemuir before needing to slow down to allow the brakes to recover) but can't say I've had in recent years.

Car mistakes? Too many to list but heres a few.

MG Metro - my 2nd car, purchased with 11K on the clock. Borrowed by some low life who left the steering lock on the floor & most of the front tyres on the tarmac behind Milton Keynes train station car park. Can't remember how many head gaskets and gearbox main shaft bearings that thing got through.

Nova SR - brilliant little car. With the addition of Astra GTE 16V brakes it would actually stop.

Astra GTE MK1 16v Turbo. Technically my brothers car. Broke everything. Gearboxes, driveshafts....nothing lasted very long.

Audi Quattro's / Audi S2 - wish I'd kept the S2. Loved that car. Brakes were appalling (common theme here) however a set of 996 calipers and S8 discs sorted that out.

Audi A6 2.5TDI Quattro Sport Avant - spoiled by Audi making the cam shafts from Cadburys finest. 1st thing I knew about it was when it dropped a cam follower out on the M25. All 4 cams were so badly worn more could have escaped at any time.

Audi A6 3.0 TDI - all 6 injectors failed with less than 90K on the clocks. That will be 2 grand please....final straw came when 3rd gear syncro got its coats and left the party.

Audi A3 2.0 TDI - pile of steaming &*^!. As good as the 1.9TDI red eye it replaced was it wasn't. Part ex'ed for new gen Mini Clubman & have have never looked back. It would take alot to get me back behind the wheel of an Audi now.

Audi S4 V8 - lunched its timing chains twice (2nd set requried because a bolt was cross threaded during the 1st replacement, unfortunately for me too late to claim on the warranty). There are 4 timing chains and it's an engine out job as Audi fitted them to the back. Sounded glorious with the non resonated Miltek exhausts.

Mini R55 JCW - oh boy. The PSA N14 engine is fragile. Currently has 53K on the clock and has had the following replaced - Cam chain and tensioner, high pressure fuel pump, clutch, most of the cooling system including pump, thermostat & hoses + a whole heap of other parts I've forgotten about. That said I love it.

I think I’ll continue to stay away from Audi… :)

buying a 2004 golf fsi 2 years ago for 500 quid off a friend ...it looked so lovely but gobbled 4 times its price in repairs !!! never again

Here are recent JD Power rankings. After 3 months of ownership, their survey put 200+ questions to ~111000 owners, and ranked the brands by number of problems per 100 vehicles. They claim this shows a trend, and not just a snapshot. Some surprises for me in this list. Also, not sure what this says about multi-year ownership and reliability, but I suspect the trend may continue.
  • Ram (128)
  • Dodge (139)
  • Lexus (144)
  • Mitsubishi (144)
  • Nissan (146)
  • Kia (147)
  • Genesis (148)
  • Hyundai (149)
  • Jeep (149)
  • Chevrolet (151)
  • Mini (151)
  • Buick (156)
  • Toyota (157)
  • Ford (162)
  • Lincoln (163)
  • Porsche (163)
  • GMC (164)
  • Honda (164)
  • Jaguar (165)
  • BMW (166)
  • Infiniti (170)
  • Cadillac (173)
  • Mazda (177)
  • Subaru (182)
  • Mercedes-Benz (193)
  • Acura (200)
  • Land Rover (200)
  • Alfa Romeo (204)
  • Volvo (210)
  • Volkswagen (213)
  • Tesla (231)*
  • Audi (240)
  • Chrysler (251)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ity-cars-trucks-suvs-pickups-2021/5606471001/

Oh and I forgot to add to my list the VW Corrado G60 with the exploding supercharger. Big bang followed by lots of metallic noises as pieces of metal bounced between the road and the underside of my car.

Here are recent JD Power rankings. After 3 months of ownership, their survey put 200+ questions to ~111000 owners, and ranked the brands by number of problems per 100 vehicles. They claim this shows a trend, and not just a snapshot. Some surprises for me in this list. Also, not sure what this says about multi-year ownership and reliability, but I suspect the trend may continue.
  • Ram (128)
  • Dodge (139)
  • Lexus (144)
  • Mitsubishi (144)
  • Nissan (146)
  • Kia (147)
  • Genesis (148)
  • Hyundai (149)
  • Jeep (149)
  • Chevrolet (151)
  • Mini (151)
  • Buick (156)
  • Toyota (157)
  • Ford (162)
  • Lincoln (163)
  • Porsche (163)
  • GMC (164)
  • Honda (164)
  • Jaguar (165)
  • BMW (166)
  • Infiniti (170)
  • Cadillac (173)
  • Mazda (177)
  • Subaru (182)
  • Mercedes-Benz (193)
  • Acura (200)
  • Land Rover (200)
  • Alfa Romeo (204)
  • Volvo (210)
  • Volkswagen (213)
  • Tesla (231)*
  • Audi (240)
  • Chrysler (251)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ity-cars-trucks-suvs-pickups-2021/5606471001/

I’d ignore that. If a car is bought for the long term, and the manufacturer and dealer are good, who cares what happens within warranty? As long as it doesn’t turn into a ball ache, I wouldn’t care. But if things continue to fail after warranty, then I’d be peed off. Often, cars have a sweet spot from 20k miles or so until somewhere over 100k miles.

2002 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi.

I kept it six months and it cost me £1300 in repairs during that time. It was a great car to drive but it was a Friday afternoon special that hadn’t been looked after. On the upside, it also made me realise diesel wasn’t for me.

Ironically, I also owned a 2005 Mondeo more recently, but that was a Ghia X 3.0 V6 and was one of the best cars I’ve ever owned.

Add to the list of cars I regret selling my CLS350CDI Grand Edition. Very comfy and an absolute monster of an engine and a snip at £6k.

Reactions: bob
German cars have been my biggest disappointment, perhaps because they were supposed to be good?

BMW 318i touring about 20 years ago. Didn't test drive it because as the BMW garage told me "we don't need test drive cars because we can sell every car we can get". Very dangerous traction control and engine characteristics which cut the power almost at random as you pulled out of a junction. The reviews said it was much better than a Lexus iS200, which I had before the BM, they were so utterly wrong!

Audi A4 1.9TDi inherited as a company car. The engine must have come from a 1945 tractor. Just rubbish.

VW Passatt 1.9T. Great engine, scary handling. Even is those days VW were lying crooks, the trip meter told me I was getting 39 MPG. the mileage and fuel pump told me it was doing 25 MPG!

Allowing my boss to convince me that we should buy a Renault Megaine Scenic for my company car instead of leasing something else. In the 4 years I had it, it blew more bulbs than every other car I’ve had combined. Headlight bulbs required Houdini like contortion to install. The rest of it was so incredibly dull. It somehow lasted over 125K miles.

Cheers BB

1998 Honda Accord Coupe 2.0. Looked lovely, never went wrong, very smooth drive.

It was SO bloody dull.

Kept it years because it just kept going without issues (needed a new exhaust at 95k that was it). But my god were they boring years of driving. Only saving grace was the stupid stereo I fitted, that made it a bit more pleasant.

Selling my Strada Abarth.

It took some work to keep on top of and there were a few ridiculously expensive bits needed to keep it tip top but it was hilariously insane on a daily basis.

When our fourth was born we bought a Previa. The Mk 1 with the 2.4, slush box and looked like a big bubble. What a brilliant family car. A magic carpet ride and real comfort. The only downside was the 20MPG.

We replaced it with its replacement: a Mk 2 with the 2.0 diesel manual which to be fair delivered 50MPG and saved a fortune on fuel. Unfortunately those savings went towards two (yes) replacement turbos and other expensive repairs. A total crock of shite. Uncomfortable and as much worse than the model it replaced as could be imagined.

advertisement

Back