advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Frosty the snowman is poking the EU with promises of GM food and cutting back on red tape from the EU ‘rules sausage machine’. This will endear us to our European customers. I hope we have enough customers elsewhere to replace those we will lose as a result.

I see Frosty the snowman is poking the EU with promises of GM food and cutting back on red tape from the EU ‘rules sausage machine’. This will endear us to our European customers. I hope we have enough customers elsewhere to replace those we will lose as a result.

At the risk of sounding flippant, I thought we'd already lost them.

At the risk of sounding flippant, I thought we'd already lost them.
Probably true. Can't see him doing much more harm. I was reading the stuff about ship waste regulation, and it seems we are going to be dirty neighbours too. Unless Priti's anti immigrant wall gets built in the North Sea, and then it won't cross over into their side of the border.

Do you not think the costs somewhat outweigh these benefits Richard?
It's a stupid thread, I can list some short-term benefits, you can list more short-term benefits to staying. OK.....but the thread is asking for a benefit, not proof that the immediate benefits will outweigh the negatives. This is obviously impossible in the short-term. We are investing in the mid to long term. In 5-10 years, the argument is worth having. Now it is not. Constantly hurling little snippets of negativity is meaningless. Most encouraging to me is, even in the last 5 years, UK has maintained its place on the world stage economically. Guardian stories about this company leaving and that company going bust, is not seeing the wood for the trees.

• Probably true. Can't see him doing much more harm. I was reading the stuff about ship waste regulation, and it seems we are going to be dirty neighbours too. Unless Priti's anti immigrant wall gets built in the North Sea, and then it won't cross over into their side of the border.
    Like the plucky bowmen at Agincourt putting up two finger stumps at the French, the crews will be opening the fire hoses spraying British effluent in giant fountains as they go up the French coast?

I note from your earliest post that Oh Lord, Frost continues his obsession with sausages, a man no stranger to a tray of them. I thought Britain was supposed to be the nation of fair play and rules based order? Now all he has left is to threaten to break the rules and obsess about the sausage on an Ulsterman’s plate.

In the rest of the world, we buy in metric units. If the UK does not want to oblige, they go onto the do not buy list.
But then, the USA still uses , er, American units (the gallon is smaller there, but the pound (avoirdupois) and the feet/inches are the same. Don't think they're big on perches, poles or rods, or furlongs (gosh, remember having to learn all those things in school, and farthings still existed back then!).

Speaking of currency, will the UK also go back to pounds, shillings and pence? Perhaps there will be a slow transition back, the way the transition to decimal was slow - it started with the introduction of the florin - in 1840-something!

I shall be well peed off if we go back to feet ninches and avoirdupois and do not include chains, fathoms and slugs. You gotta do stuff properly.
Speaking of currency, will the UK also go back to pounds, shillings and pence? Perhaps there will be a slow transition back, the way the transition to decimal was slow - it started with the introduction of the florin - in 1840-something!
I can't wait for the outcry in the DM when the penny coin is dropped. It costs more than 1p to mint, but it's rather symbolic. Or maybe we will have a revaluation of the currency first?

Translation: Confused, dazed and punch drunk from lord knows what I stumbled into the ballot box and put the X were Mogg and Boris told me to put it. Suffering from obvious buyers remorse but keeps getting some electric shock cattle prod type thingy that moves him to morph into a kind of Rabb Bojo hybrid being talking gibberish that just meanders all over the place with no meaning . Dogmatic in this case means posting a lot of sense and making it very difficult to deflect.

With respect, cobblers. I was merely pointing out that the OP was expressing opinion ('... almost every single point of contention the average Brexit voter puts forward as a reason is pure fantasy or a talking point from The Sun... the actual reasons given for departing were 99% fiction'...) as irrefutable fact.

I find it all the more irritating because he has previously expressed precisely that opinion about my posts about the EU. I haven't read the bloody Sun since I was a painter's mate on a building site aged 19 :)

Nor, whilst we're on the subject, would I have dreamed of putting an x in a box bacause I'd been told to, least of all by Boris or Mogg. Unaccountable and unreasonable authority is one of the most compelling reasons why I so dislike the EU. It's a legacy of having gone to boarding school when unreasonable and unaccountable authority was still very much a thing in those institutions.

Nor, whilst we're on the subject, would I have dreamed of putting an x in a box bacause I'd been told to, least of all by Boris or Mogg. Unaccountable and unreasonable authority is one of the most compelling reasons why I so dislike the EU. It's a legacy of having gone to boarding school when unreasonable and unaccountable authority was still very much a thing in those institutions.
And yet the Tory government which emerged in the wake of the Brexit vote is an unaccountable authoritarian government. They are clapped and cheered by the people who voted for them on the strength of one thing: having hammered-through with Brexit, at the expense of members driven out, whilst having moved from scandal to scandal. A real bread & circuses government this one; 'we'll give you your Brexit, in exchange you elect us to do exactly what we want according to our ideology to work against your day-to-day domestic interests and the general socio-economic well-being of the country at large.'

With respect, cobblers. I was merely pointing out that the OP was expressing opinion ('... almost every single point of contention the average Brexit voter puts forward as a reason is pure fantasy or a talking point from The Sun... the actual reasons given for departing were 99% fiction'...) as irrefutable fact.
I find it all the more irritating because he has previously expressed precisely that opinion about my posts about the EU. I haven't read the bloody Sun since I was a painter's mate on a building site aged 19 :)
It didn't mean: 'you specifically read the Sun'. It did mean: 'what the average Brexiteer puts forward as positives are almost exactly what newspapers like the Sun put forward.' This is irrefutable fact, not opinion. They say the same things because they read them their first. I've checked. Every time certain pronouncements were made by people on Twitter or on the street, I went to see if it had appeared in the Sun/Daily Mail on the same day and sure enough there it was. This isn't 'thought', it's just instruction in what to think. Confirmation bias. I did say this occurs on both sides, but the thread is about Brexit and its alleged positive effects. My core view is that since it is built on rotten foundations (a neoliberal economic policy) even if there are positives, and their could and should be, they will never materialise.

It's a stupid thread, I can list some short-term benefits, you can list more short-term benefits to staying. OK.....but the thread is asking for a benefit, not proof that the immediate benefits will outweigh the negatives. This is obviously impossible in the short-term. We are investing in the mid to long term. In 5-10 years, the argument is worth having. Now it is not. Constantly hurling little snippets of negativity is meaningless. Most encouraging to me is, even in the last 5 years, UK has maintained its place on the world stage economically. Guardian stories about this company leaving and that company going bust, is not seeing the wood for the trees.
Not seeing the wood for the trees is Brexit in a nutshell. It was obvious to many before. It would be obvious to all by now were it not for diversions, distractions and downright lies by the government and its supporters.

Pointing out the failings and broken promises of Brexit is far from meaningless, it's one of the measures we should all use assess the performance of our government. The next election will be upon us in next to no time.

It didn't mean: 'you specifically read the Sun'. It did mean: 'what the average Brexiteer puts forward as positives are almost exactly what newspapers like the Sun put forward.

Human nature I suppose however I think it’s worth noting the following:

1. Sales of the right wing rags as a percentage of population are much lower than twenty or thirty years ago
2. Lots of contributors in Off Topic do the same thing except with the Guardian, including providing us with links to the article.

a92288d30d69b95a5e4fa24807ef8b52555bb18c.jpeg

Human nature I suppose however I think it’s worth noting the following:

1. Sales of the right wing rags as a percentage of population are much lower than twenty or thirty years ago
2. Lots of contributors in Off Topic do the same thing except with the Guardian, including providing us with links to the article.
The Sun almost gives its rag away to ensure wide circulation. And in any case it is free to read on the internet, plus its opinions are just reproduced everywhere else on the internet.
The Guardian is a centrist newspaper now and is a useless guide for anything except ashes into a bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back